ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shaking steering wheel at 60+mph...

1998 BMW e46 323i
First thought was obv' wheels out of balance.

I had new tyres fitted on the front recently, and had eibach prolines fitted the same week. Since then the wheel's been shaking. Had the wheels balanced when the tyres where done.

Went to KwikFit today cos it's local and they re-balanced the wheels, they were 10 out. Mechanic said the tracking could be causing the shakes???

I'm still having the shakes at 60+mph after the wheels have been balanced twice.

What do I do next oh wise ones???

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I had this, I lived with it until the tyres needed changing!

Dissapeared after they were changed. :)

Renault Clio 172 Ph 2
First thought was obv' wheels out of balance.

I had new tyres fitted on the front recently, and had eibach prolines fitted the same week. Since then the wheel's been shaking. Had the wheels balanced when the tyres where done.

Went to KwikFit today cos it's local and they re-balanced the wheels, they were 10 out. Mechanic said the tracking could be causing the shakes???

I'm still having the shakes at 60+mph after the wheels have been balanced twice.

What do I do next oh wise ones???

I have heard of this before on a friends Audi TT and the problem was found, the tyres were fitted with rain water still in them.

Just a thought.

John

1998 BMW e46 323i
Really? The tyres were delivered to me, all sealed up and put on in front of me. No water?

Renault Clio 172 Ph 2
You could try swaping fronts to rear and rears to front.

If it removes the vibration, at least you know its with the wheels.

John

1998 BMW e46 323i
Thanks for all the suggestions. I did swap my wheels fron to back when I put new tyres on. They seem ok on the balancing machine tho, no buckles.

Renault Clio 172 Ph 2
So have you swapped them around since.

Another area is when they changed the springs they could have damaged the C.V. joint, but unsure wether you would get a vibration just at 60mph.

1998 BMW e46 323i
No I've not. It's since I had the wheels swapped/tyres fitted. Gonna have to go back and get them changed over, my back tyres aren't good enough for the front. More money and faffing about!

thanks, John

M

mini-valver

Only thing I can think of John is put the fronts on the back and see if it still vibrates through the steering. If it doesn't, theres something amiss with the tyres. Otherwise, you could do the tracking as lowering the car changes the geometry......

1998 BMW e46 323i
Y'alright Dave. I'll try it this weekend, got nothing to lose. I did do a search before I bought the prolines, and it seemed the consensus was that tracking wasn't entirely necessary...

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
are they aftermarket alloys? do you have spigots on your wheels? as this tends to shake the wheel and f*ck with your tracking!

1998 BMW e46 323i
standard 172 wheels. Found the cause, swapped the wheels over, wobble gone. Now i need to get my tyres swapped. And i've got 2 nails in my old tyres. Nice! Just hope it's my wheels that are at fault, and not the new tyres... Or i'll have to live with the wobble. Thanks for all the suggestions.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I had this, I lived with it until the tyres needed changing!

Dissapeared after they were changed. :)

same as, i had it really bad to ther point i actually pulled over on the m6 to check my wheels were ok.
as soon as i had my tyres changed never had the same problem

Just searching for the same thing, wheel wobble at 60mph+

Just had two new Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front too! That'll be the problem then. Maybe cos of the camber-hunting tread pattern? I've found since having them on I have to steer away from camber a lot more too.

1998 BMW e46 323i
I put my old wheels and tyres back on the front. No shake!

I then ordered 2 more f1s, as my fronts had nails in. One nail was all the way thru plus about an inch. Got these balanced at the place I always go to and they're fine. No shake, but the car does seem to pull when accelerating on cambered roads. For me I think it was a combination of the tread and probably dodgy old imperfect wheels on the front.

Still love the F1s tho', they grip like a MOFO and I've never had a more settled car in the wet now with new f1s all round.

Strange that I've never read like the above about the f1s before?

The shake I get is only on really crappy surfaced roads, mostly it is ok, but overall I've noticed more feedback from these tyres. Round corners they feel more predictable and seem to grip harder. A good choice methinks!