ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shaking when accelerating - diff or driveshaft?

In the drive to work today my 182 has started to violently shake on medium to hard acceleration, but be absolutely fine when coasting. It sounds like the engine is hitting the limiter constantly as the revs increase.

I am putting it down to either differential or driveshaft failing, how should I go about identifying which it is (or does anyone have any ideas what else it might be)?

Ph1 172 (titanium)
Doesn't sound like the diff problem I had,
Sounds more like something on the engine side of things.
All the mounts in good nic?

You sure its not a really bad misfire? Increasing load/torque on the engine makes them worse

Unfortunately it is not a misfire, it's definitely mechanical.

Doesn't sound like the diff problem I had,
Sounds more like something on the engine side of things.
All the mounts in good nic?

Seems all fine to me, the feeling is a bit like the exhaust hitting the subframe but much, much worse.

I would lay money on the diff, search my threads.

I have had a look through your posts, sounds very similar to what I have :( Only difference is that I still get some shake under 40mph, for me it is anything around 3000-4000RPM.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I had a bad vibration when accelerating in the mrs Clio 3 dci, lived with it for a year until a trade in came in at work, pinched both drive shafts off it and put her duff ones on the trade in. Now drives/accelerates with no vibration.

It was a vibration/wobble, could feel it through the steering wheel and pedals when of half acceleartion/full. Very bad in second gear.

Visually there was nothing wrong with the shafts.

Last edited:
  Changes to often
Wouldn't cause a constant violent vibration, under normal and heavy load

he doesnt say its constant vibration. only at med to hard acceleration, if the clutch has been slipping a while it can cause hot spots on the flywheel which can cause bad vibration, just a suggestion tho, could be anything lol

You're gonna need a new box or a rebuild...

TBH I would rather sell the car as spares and repairs than go through that :(

Both driveshafts meet up ok, no excess movement?
Non genuine ones can cause problems

I have not had a chance to look yet, but I have driven 30,000 miles in the last 10 months since I bought the car without this happening. I did have some wheel vibration caused by improperly balanced wheels several months ago but that was easily cured.