ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shall i buy some TOYO proxes T1-s? are they good?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
195-50-15's for my 172,

£30 each delivered. Is this a good price?

More to the point, are they any good??!

Clio Sport xxx
Yes get them!!! Had them on my golf gti, and for the money, they are quite possibly the best tyre pound for pound out there. Only downside, being fairly soft and grippy they will only last about 12months on the front (give or take depending on driving). Dry grip is always plentiful, but where i was overly impressed with them was the handling in the wet... they give you so much confidence round corners of all speeds, and when you do push to the limit in the wet and the grip starts to go, the tyres are incredibly pridictable in their behaviour, and control is easilly gained!

QUALITY TYRE!!

Sounds a good price, mine were about £30 fitted on 7J x 15 rims

Yeah, I had a set last year on a zetec-s. Went to Italy and back and the front 2 needed replacing soon after I returned. Very good grip though for the price. Mine had quite a large wheel rim protector aswell......

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
TJHMortimer, weren't you in East 17??

Ok, looks like i'll order a set of these then.

Yes get them!!! Had them on my golf gti, and for the money, they are quite possibly the best tyre pound for pound out there. Only downside, being fairly soft and grippy they will only last about 12months on the front (give or take depending on driving). Dry grip is always plentiful, but where i was overly impressed with them was the handling in the wet... they give you so much confidence round corners of all speeds, and when you do push to the limit in the wet and the grip starts to go, the tyres are incredibly pridictable in their behaviour, and control is easilly gained!

QUALITY TYRE!!

What.

The.

f**k.

Were you driving on the same tyres as I was?? :S

T1-S are HORRIBLE.

Their wet grip is shocking - you have to tickle it round a corner as it'll grip a bit then just snap away, leaving you heading towards a solid object with no indication that you're going to regain grip in time.

Not only that but they have no 'bite' on turn in - they just roll over onto the sidewalls, leaving you with smooth shoulders and the rest of the tyre with loads of tread left. Not exactly much use as you then have to throw them away or risk 3 points / £60 fine...

If I had a choice of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 on 195/50 or the T1-S in the same size, I would go for the F1s 101 times out of 100. No joke.

Get the F1s and I challenge you to find a better wet tyre.

[/rant] lol :eek:

Toyo's are really over rated imo, they are awful in the wet although not as bad as the tigers i bought once:eek: . You cant go wrong with eagle F1's, i had them on my williams and thought they were great and quite cheap.

Seat Leon Cupra 290
30 quid each though!

you cant go wrong for that, ive had them in the past and liked them a lot, didnt last long though as said

F1 GSD3 are like £35 from mytyres.

Personally I'd rather spend an extra £20 on F1s than an extra £2000 on insurance over the next two years after writing the car off due to having no wet grip!

RenaultSport 172.
i got them, cant fault. amazing =]

some people rave about the t1r's but had both and honeslty cant tell a diffrence =]

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
they won't get used in the wet... does this make a difference? They're going to be a sort of a road legal track car.

a burnt one

QUALITY TYRE!!

What.

The.

f**k.

T1-S are HORRIBLE.

Their wet grip is shocking - you have to tickle it round a corner as it'll grip a bit then just snap away, leaving you heading towards a solid object with no indication that you're going to regain grip in time.

Not only that but they have no 'bite' on turn in - they just roll over onto the sidewalls, leaving you with smooth shoulders and the rest of the tyre with loads of tread left. Not exactly much use as you then have to throw them away or risk 3 points / £60 fine...

If I had a choice of Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 on 195/50 or the T1-S in the same size, I would go for the F1s 101 times out of 100. No joke.

Gotta agree with that, ive seen various threads about these tyres and i will say the same, they are crap, im seriously dissapointed with them, unfortunately i never read reviews here, just on other places which said they were good:nono:

Never again will i buy a toyo tyre, im trying to drive as hard as possible to get them worn down and replaced but that is a bit tricky as even with sensible/moderately hard driving you do not feel safe, in the dry they are acceptable but after any kind of precipatition has hit the ground cornering is non existent.

Avoid like the plague

Buy at you're peril.

M2 Competition
they won't get used in the wet... does this make a difference? They're going to be a sort of a road legal track car.

Scrap that idea mate.

Yokohama paradas are going for £40 delivered on ebay, 195/50/15s.

Ive just swapped a set of toyos for these, worlds apart in dry grip. Worlds apart.

M2 Competition
Went out for a play tonight, once you get used to it and drive smooth its not at all bad. Not great with standing water, and easy to get the car to understeer/ lose the rear should you choose to though.

All round far better tyre than the toyos were, sooo controllable. And in the dry once warm, by far the grippiest tyre ive used.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im on my 3rd set of F1 GSD3's in a year went thru 4 on my 1.2 so bought another 4 and then when my PE2s on my 172 were done i went for F1's and prefer them to the PE2's that were on it!

Vw caddy tdi
sounds crazy but I rate avon zv3's they are an almost unheard off british made tyre designed in this country on british roads. had falkens and various yokos, proxies and trust no european designed tyres will match avons for handling and grip on our s*&t roads wet or dry...

Vw caddy tdi
Avon zv3's are amazing go buy a set designed in uk on british roads trust they are much better than any european designed tyre on s^*t British roads wet or dry............

Scenic mk1 (F3R)
got to agree very good tyres i went from avons to f1's and crashed the b*****d car then in my stupid state i got more f1's on my next car and rolled that so based on my own experiance i wouldnt touch f1's again ive used much better tyres that were cheeper just my opinion

sounds crazy but I rate avon zv3's they are an almost unheard off british made tyre designed in this country on british roads. had falkens and various yokos, proxies and trust no european designed tyres will match avons for handling and grip on our s*&t roads wet or dry...

Cup'd Monaco 172
I find Toyos fine wet or dry. F1's ones are better and last much longer, so actually better value.

My current T1S's are now bald all round so going back to F1's. I notice T1S's do go off. The wet weather performance is terrible for the last 3rd of their life.

If you crashed and rolled your car on F1's, I think you need help, not new tyres.

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Went out for a play tonight, once you get used to it and drive smooth its not at all bad. Not great with standing water, and easy to get the car to understeer/ lose the rear should you choose to though.

All round far better tyre than the toyos were, sooo controllable. And in the dry once warm, by far the grippiest tyre ive used.

Agree with you there dan. They are so controllable especailly near the limit.

As for water they didn't cope too bad with the river at the bottom of paddock.;)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Scrap that idea mate.

Yokohama paradas are going for £40 delivered on ebay, 195/50/15s.

Ive just swapped a set of toyos for these, worlds apart in dry grip. Worlds apart.

Paradas it is then. If they're good enough for you, they're good enough for me! lol

Clio Sport xxx
What.

The.

f**k.

T1-S are HORRIBLE.

Gotta agree with that, ive seen various threads about these tyres and i will say the same, they are crap, im seriously dissapointed with them, unfortunately i never read reviews here, just on other places which said they were good:nono:

Never again will i buy a toyo tyre, im trying to drive as hard as possible to get them worn down and replaced but that is a bit tricky as even with sensible/moderately hard driving you do not feel safe, in the dry they are acceptable but after any kind of precipatition has hit the ground cornering is non existent.

Avoid like the plague

Buy at you're peril.

Well actually, i was running T1-S front and T1-R rear, and dont forget it wasn't on a Clio (short wheel base, therefore tendancy to break away quicker then longer wheel base cars). Must be all your ultra hard moddified sus. set ups giving you crap wet grip

I can actually honestly say that in the wet i had more confidence round corners with my Toyos then i do now with the Conti sports on my Clio.

From that statement I can only assume that Conti's are even worse than Toyos LOL ;) :rasp:

And re: breakaway - I don't think I've ever had the back come round on me - I drive slow in, fast out - but I get understeer aplenty from the Toyos.

Seriously crap wet weather performance!

If anyone wants to compare then come round and we'll go to a wet airfield and you can try my set of T1-S and my set of F1s back to back - then tell me which is better! :p

Clio Sport xxx
I think the T1-S are obsolete now anyway lol Maybe the tarmac is different down here in the south?? ;)

last season a particular racing formula (the name of which escapes me) had Toyo Proxes as their regulation tyre, so cant be as sh*t as everyone here is saying. I can remeber alot a jags running with them... must have been some sort of classic series. . .