ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shielding Standard F7P/R Airbox

Following on from Svezels thread about returning to standard airbox, and so as not to hijack it, does anyone know if any benefits are to be had from shielding the standard Valver/Williams airbox from engine heat, wrapping it in something to reduce overall intake temps?

Anyone tried it?

What did you use?

I mentioned doing this a couple of weeks ago with Silver foil and some sort of heat resistant glue. Not done it yet, will be a job in the warmer / drier weather.

I recon it would be marginal, but it all counts after all, doesnt it ?

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

I am half way through doing it to my 16v airbox. using ally tape from hallfords. Should hopefully help to keep the intake temps down.

Cool, Im going to get another airbox and give it a bash too I think... every little does help!

Been considering insulating tape or something..

Any other ideas for materials to use?

i thought about this too but im thinkin the air travels thru the airbox in milliseconds when your caning it so prob dont pick up too much heat??

On a Valver/Will the box is dirctly on the TB so even if you insulate the box the heat will get in though it! And if you insulate the box you are more than likely going to keep heat in the box.

Not insulating it, just using a thin film of aluminium tape to reflect heat, as we all no black is the worst colour for heat absorption.

Im sure i read a post somewhere quite some time back saying that they drilled holes in the airbox which gave a gain on performance.

Who was it?

Umm not sure on drilling holes in it, may be ok if a few are drilled in places away from any major heat sources(like towards the front grill and battery, which may or may not help with throttle response??). Best bet though is just to run a 70mm tube from the airbox to the front fog and stick a decent panel filter in there.

I drilled hoels in my air box, towards back and away from engine, ended up wiht about 10 12mm holes and its made f*ck all difference, no change in noise, or responce

R

rich[182]

Aye, 2 or 3 layers of thick kitchen foil from supermarket & aluminium tape from halfords and thatll keep the heat at bay nicely, Im doing this to 3 sides of the bottom half of std airbox on 172 mk2, cant really do the top of it cos of the shape and unless its shrunk bonded onto the curvy surface it looks tacky and naff, might even wrap the hillpower induction pipe with foil & then wrap ali tape round entire length of the pipe, need to see how good a job i can do, want it to look half decent - still experimenting at the moment - will post some pics when ive done

checkout thermotecs website below - they sell some right kit

ps exhaust manifold wrap can lower underbonnet temp by 15 degrees

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/full.htmlhttp://www.thermotec.com/products/full/full.html

UPDATE

They are in USA, Just found main UK distributor website who sell full product range, eg ali tape £15

http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_7&products_id=390http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_7&products_id=390

Quote: Originally posted by Illusion on 12 January 2004

Im sure i read a post somewhere quite some time back saying that they drilled holes in the airbox which gave a gain on performance.

Who was it?
Not gonna work

Will just be drawing in hot, under-bonnet air through the filter element

Doing something like that also, this was going to be a little extra effort on top

What diameter is the flexible tubing behind the mudguard?

really cant see it making any diff, but ea to there own

the pipe from the airbox is where u need to concentrate i think, larger diameter, no bends.

as steve said a fog pick up on the end would work well i think, in conjuction with a larger diameter intake pipe.

but in those 2 pics the pipework is to small imo

group n cars AFAIK used the standard box

and ive seen some valvers putting out more power than ours and still using the standard box, so i dont think it can be as restrictive as some people make out. but then to admit that would be bad for business

K.. honestly wasnt sure how much difference shielding the box would make.

Still have standard airbox on just with a panel filter replacement, didnt plan to change that, just the feed.. I think it was your pics that first made me want to do it weight, have them saved on my pc lol

Someone above mentioned wrapping the manifold, but Ive read mixed things on whether thats a good idea (heat spots putting strain on it?)

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 12 January 2004

Aye, 2 or 3 layers of thick kitchen foil from supermarket & aluminium tape from halfords and thatll keep the heat at bay nicely, Im doing this to 3 sides of the bottom half of std airbox on 172 mk2, cant really do the top of it cos of the shape and unless its shrunk bonded onto the curvy surface it looks tacky and naff, might even wrap the hillpower induction pipe with foil & then wrap ali tape round entire length of the pipe, need to see how good a job i can do, want it to look half decent - still experimenting at the moment - will post some pics when ive done

checkout thermotecs website below - they sell some right kit

ps exhaust manifold wrap can lower underbonnet temp by 15 degrees

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/full.htmlhttp://www.thermotec.com/products/full/full.html

UPDATE

They are in USA, Just found main UK distributor website who sell full product range, eg ali tape £15

http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_7&products_id=390http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_7&products_id=390
how many rolls do you think youd need for a 16v manifold? and whats the best way to secure it on?

Do a search on it, theres been a bit of discussion in the past.

Basically if you wrap unevenly (very easy to do on the valver manifold, williams is a bit simpler to cover) you leave spots exposed, and under strain these become hotter than the rest of the manifold.. they will glow with heat.. not doing things any good!

wrapping the manifold may be a very good idea, to reduce temps

but, once ur on the move the engine bay does stay relatively cool, the throttle intake is cold to the touch when leaving a motorway, slow to 20 mph or stop and the heat soak effect is massive!

riplash - PMSL yea i know, been there got the t - shirt

like u lot, i had a bit of time on my hands;) and managed a 14.5 second pass with that setup, larger ducting with few bends as possible will only improve things!

I am using 70mm pipe on mine, think the standard is 50-60mm? on the standard airbox the pipe that attaches to the box reduces from 70- 60mm I think so best to run a pipe all the way.

riplash. is that piping the same size as the standard intake pipe?? mine was. got it from halfords. did you notice much of a difference with your setup. and weights. did you notice a big diff when you added the front feed?

i noticed an increas in torque at lower revs and higher speeds.

steve - trying to keep that larger diameter will deffo help, tis how mine is now.

lol @ little red scissors! (ive always had an artistic flair)

airbox with replacement filter and large intake pipe is the best all round solution (standing starts etc)

on the move, IK will be unbeatable, but will not offer the filtration of the airbox. shortened engine life any1?

and then theres the whole noise argument:confused:

and just to let u know, i run a standard filter element, renos finest! if its good for a 14.3 then paper elements aint all bad either!

but then that would be a completly diff topic;)

Quote: Originally posted by funkimic on 14 January 2004

riplash. is that piping the same size as the standard intake pipe??
Above setup is weights not mine, Ive not got round to sorting it out yet!!

R

rich[182]

riplash

where you get pipe from ? halfords ? how much ? length ?

only place ive seen it for sale is on green air filter site, 1m length 70mm dia for £10

R

rich[182]

ben p

not sure what clio 16v is like in terms of airbox design and location but if you want more noise from std setup just unlug the pipe from the airbox and leave 1cm away, can do this on 172 mk2 cos the side of the airbox in question is sheilded and always cool, makes one hell of a difference to induction noise

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 15 January 2004

riplash

where you get pipe from ? halfords ? how much ? length ?
LOL!!! THE ABOVE PICTURES ARE OF WEIGHTS CAR!

Ive not got round to doing it yet!