ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shift vs Forza 3 (no spam)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Well now that both games have hit the shelves,
(and both demos available)

im going to revive the forza 3 vs shift debate.

please only reply if you've played both games and have a sensible point to make.
please NO stupid fan boy replied

eg. 'forza 3 pwns, shift sucks.'
'this cant be serious'

ill kick off by saying, after playing both the demos (im poor atm so am only buying one of the two). im closer to shift, the physics as your head is forced back under acceleration, and how you really feel like your crashing, i find brilliant. it also has a much more rugged feel and feels more aggressive (sp) than forza.i enjoy how it really is a case of one mistake and your off, not knowing whats going on as your thrown about the c**k pit as you slam into the crash barrier (unlike this rewind button thats coming into fassion). i also found being talked over the lap in the lead up very involving. i just found the whole game to make you feel like more of a racing driver.

forza on the other had, seem to be so much like grand turismo, yes its stunning in screen shots, but thats not what its all about while thrashing it around. and it has been said that theyve put things such as tyre lean in and similar over engineered factors, but from what ive plated, none of it seems apparant. and the other thing the boasted about on the lead up, that theyve mapped each track down to the cracks, but ive never been to any so im not too bothered if its 110% accurate.

so to conclude, i think im going for shift. its just shaping up to be more my kind of game, rather than a case of lets see how perfect we can design an audi R8.

all in my opinion of course.
just a reminder. no spam!

I've not played the full game but if based on demo impressions alone Shift is nothing short of abysmal. I wouldn't have thought a sports/race car would immediately enter a full on tank slapper at the merest hint of an adjustment in throttle/steering angle while traveling along a straight as it appears shift thinks.

Look at the reviews, although shift was received well (god knows why, I didn't even like the presentation let alone the driving physics) Forza is the AAA title with numerous superlatives being used to describe it by the gaming press including the inside sim racing guys who only review driving games.

alien green rs133
shift feels like a updated toca touring cars,

whereas forza is its own awsome game in its own right, where you feel as much connected with the car as you would actually driving it, awesome

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
shift feels like a updated toca touring cars,

whereas forza is its own awsome game in its own right, where you feel as much connected with the car as you would actually driving it, awesome

you say shift is an updated toca, but is that not in the same respect that forza is an updated grand turismo?

Driving sims all borrow/owe things to each other tbh. It's a genre where there is very little you can do in terms of innovation they all strive for better physics portrayal and more photorealistic looks.

Toyota MR2
shirt has no realism in my opinion. forza is just a much more all round driving game. 50 or so cars on shift. 400 on forza. shift is awwwwwwful. completed it in 3 hours. forza has taken me 15 hours to get 13% into the game. value for money? NFS fails at that

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
you say shift is an updated toca, but is that not in the same respect that forza is an updated grand turismo?
not really, because Forza has accurate driving physics ;)

To me, I couldn't even begin to compare Shift with Forza. They're not even in the same genre imo.

MY10 R35 GTR
what a crap thread. Shift is ballocks and FM3 os a proper sim. No comparison need to be made

mk5 fiesta zetec s
yeah i have to say something. shift is no where near the standard of forza. i got shift and sold it within 2 days because of how bad the gameplay is.

a burnt one

Yeah, but what's your point? Toca was a mediocre game, to update it would give a mediocre game with slightly better graphics.

Grand Turismo is an epic game and an update would be equally epic. Meaning Forza is by all acount's pretty good.

You are comparing a Rolls Royce to a Daewoo.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Forza 3's not as good as I was hoping for to be honest - I don't know I expected more this time round - don't get me wrong I still love it to death but somethings missing for me.

I enjoy shift, nice to put on when endurance races are getting annoying of forza - happy to have them both on my shelf

Forza 3 does have its issues and shift probably looks better but that aside there really is no debate or as much debate as whether a mini is better than a ferrari!

Motorbikes
LOL shift is awful. Its not even a sim so cant be compared with Forza.

I heard of people saying Shift is like a an arcade racer trying to be a sim, but failed. I have played the demo for both and shift was rubbish.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
i got shift with my xbox, played it for about 20 mins, turned it off, traded it in the next day for Batman Arkham Asylum, didnt come anywhere near the forza 3 demo imo, wasn't feeling it at all.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
You can't compare them in my opinion, totally different games, it would be like comparing fifa with COD,

dk

911 GTS Cab
shirt has no realism in my opinion. forza is just a much more all round driving game. 50 or so cars on shift. 400 on forza. shift is awwwwwwful. completed it in 3 hours. forza has taken me 15 hours to get 13% into the game. value for money? NFS fails at that
don't talk b****cks, shift may not be as in depth but there is no way in this world you could complete it in 3 hrs!

shift is great to pick up and play, no real time commitment etc. They both look great, and the ring on shift is actually very good.

I think forza does have the edge, but it would depend on the mood i am in tbh, i might just want a quick race on shift to kill 20 mins etc.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I bought a PS3 a few weeks ago and it came with Shift and I was quite disappointed by it. I liked all the Need for Speed games but they have got progressively worse over the years to be honest. I know Shift is meant to be more of a racing game rather than the 'run from the cops' style game but it's terrible!

The last decent NFS game was Most Wanted (in my opinion).

I was never a fan of Forza 2 and am not that keen on Forza 3 either. Forza 3 is a great game but for some reason I don't like it that much, probably because I just like to race and don't find the setup of the cars interesting etc.

Favourite racing games from the last few years have been the Project Gotham series (arcadey I know but my sort of game) :)

You don't have to fiddle in 3 unless you want to tbh. The quick upgrade option will bolt on required parts to make your car competative for the events you're looking to enter it in. I love pissing about with all the settings but I've not even touched it yet while I get the single player out of the way I'm just using the quick upgrade so I can get straight back into the racing.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Shift it pretty poor, tank slap all over the place, even with adjustments to the controls, the driving is so unrealistic - back to Grid me thinks

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
makes me laugh all these people who have played a demo and formed an opinion - yeh like a demo is gonna show you how a full game plays - I was worried when I played the forza demo - I think its properly s**t!

Why release a demo if it's not a representation of the full game? ;)

I'm not going to buy a game after playing a demo and thinking it was s**t am I! The lad has only played the demo's of both games and he's basing his opinion on that. He's asked for others opinions and if you take the drive as a comparison between the Forza demo and the shift one and then add in what we know in terms of content for both full games it's (IMO) a no brianer which one to go for.

ive not played forza 3 so no comment on that
shift- a visually pretty game but the physics handling etc could have been better just feels like a old arcade game