ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shifter rattle

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I've had this rattle a little while and I'm getting annoyed with it now, I can't tell exactly when it started to give me a clue, as I only notice it when I've not got the stereo on. At around 3k rpm I get a rattle from the gear stick, it's worse on certain roads. If I touch my hand to the gear stick I can feel it and the noise stops.
I've not got a PMS shifter and that's the only results I get when searching, just a standard tower with a snappy retrimmed gear knob and plees brass bushes. Are there any parts in the tower that can wear out, or is it likely to be the linkage? All gears go in and out nicely enough.
Any ideas appreciated.

I've also read that there's a plastic bush in the shifter somewhere, is that something I can replace easily without changing my nice snappy gear knob to rule it out?

Last edited:

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
New nylon bush and circlip is in, old one was definitely at the end of it's life and the gear shift feels marginally better (wasn't bad to begin with), but unfortunately the rattle is still there. My mechanic is convinced it's on the inside of the car, or at least not on the gearbox end of the linkage.
Is there a parts diagram of the shifter tower end? I'd be tempted to just chuck a new shifter tower at it, but I've had the knob retrimmed by snappy and I'd hate to lose that. I know they're not really possible to remove non-destructively.
I've read about a like a rubber pad that goes around the tower, but I can't see one on mine, although I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
New nylon bush and circlip is in, old one was definitely at the end of it's life and the gear shift feels marginally better (wasn't bad to begin with), but unfortunately the rattle is still there. My mechanic is convinced it's on the inside of the car, or at least not on the gearbox end of the linkage.
Is there a parts diagram of the shifter tower end? I'd be tempted to just chuck a new shifter tower at it, but I've had the knob retrimmed by snappy and I'd hate to lose that. I know they're not really possible to remove non-destructively.
I've read about a like a rubber pad that goes around the tower, but I can't see one on mine, although I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for.
There's not loads to rattle tbh. Is the reverse cable fitted properly/twisted?