ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shmee150

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I remember when this guy was on the streets in London following expensive cars leaving shows or whatever. Fair play he's made something for himself and done pretty well out of it but he's likely still as insufferable as he's always been and that's putting it lightly. I never really understood how he became so popular tbh.

deanoE30M3

ClioSport Club Member
He’s soo annoying, saw him once as I walked past him at the autosport show. He was doing a video at the time!

I believe he comes from a wealthy family so seems he’s been able to do the YouTube stuff with out really worrying to much!

plus I’ve seen that he’s even got his girlfriend in on it too! Wonder what she sees in him! lol

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
His videos aren’t for me, and his Shmee persona is really annoying to me too, but it’s his business (as in, literally, he runs it as a business) and he’s not harming anyone.

There‘s far, far worse out there. He actually seems fine when he’s not “being Shmee”. Genuinely enjoyed him and Johnny Smith having a chat.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
His videos aren’t for me, and his Shmee persona is really annoying to me too, but it’s his business (as in, literally, he runs it as a business) and he’s not harming anyone.

There‘s far, far worse out there. He actually seems fine when he’s not “being Shmee”. Genuinely enjoyed him and Johnny Smith having a chat.

I thought he came across pretty well in that interview.

His content does absolutely nothing for me, and I genuinely cannot see what people get from watching it, but you can't knock him too much. He has made a massive success out of it and turned the car media world on its head. I'm sure most on here would happily take that level of success.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Really? What exactly has he done?

Just another YouTuber I thought?

Obviously he hasn't done it single-handed, but him and others have definitely had a big impact on the landscape.

Influencers have muscled in on the launch circuit, and created an environment where some of them demand payment for attending (unheard of with regular journos). Manufacturers have used them to promote products, as the line between objective review and promotion has been blurred.

Why fly a journo out to the launch, put them in a hotel, feed them, and then watch them slate your product when you can bring an influencer/YouTuber who knows naff all and will just say everything is brilliant. It's guaranteed positive exposure. It is shifting a bit, as it's not a great way of maintaining credibility, but it's definitely been happening for a while.

Even the fact he has stolen traffic from more traditional car media has had an impact, as they have had to change some of their content to try to stay relevant (CarWow as an example).

It's not all negative of course. I think you could argue that Shmee and his peers have made cars interesting to an audience that the traditional motoring media may have struggled to engage with, so they've had a positive impact in that respect.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I don't know if it's true, but the comments I'd seen were that he's one of a number of influencer types who are little more than a mouthpiece for the manufacturer.

Half the reason they are at all the events is because they do and say what the companies tell them to, I can't for the life of me see why people actually watch their stuff, you're not getting an honest opinion it's just a lengthy advert in a different format.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I don't know if it's true, but the comments I'd seen were that he's one of a number of influencer types who are little more than a mouthpiece for the manufacturer.

Half the reason they are at all the events is because they do and say what the companies tell them to, I can't for the life of me see why people actually watch their stuff, you're not getting an honest opinion it's just a lengthy advert in a different format.

Essentially that's true. Most of them don't really know very much about cars, so are basically just regurgitating press information without any objectivity, though I suspect it is more underhand in some cases. I can't imagine all of them are paying for these cars, so there must be some heavy discounts or leasing going on somewhere.

That RS Jamie was running around in a white Fiesta ST with tiger stripes that was "hers", but I saw it at a dealer training event, so it was actually a Ford fleet car of some sort by the looks of it.

As the controversy surrounding Litchfield and the GR Yaris showed, it's a pretty murky world. You can't blame the influencers in a way though. If they can get into the launch scene and travel the world, they'd be mad to say no in a way. They don't need to worry about credibility in the same way as a "proper" motoring hack, as their audience seemingly don't care.

Watching a lot of these channels, I do have to wonder what their audience does actually care about. The production quality is usually pretty shite, the presenter usually doesn't know anything about cars other than what the brochure says, and most of them can't drive. When you compare it to what the likes of Carfection are doing, it does make you wonder what people actually get from it, but I guess it's all about the lifestyle thing, and people wanting to follow and try to emulate them.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Watching a lot of these channels, I do have to wonder what their audience does actually care about. The production quality is usually pretty shite, the presenter usually doesn't know anything about cars other than what the brochure says, and most of them can't drive. When you compare it to what the likes of Carfection are doing, it does make you wonder what people actually get from it, but I guess it's all about the lifestyle thing, and people wanting to follow and try to emulate them.

I think you've described most 'influencer' type videos in general there. I always assumed most were watched by kids, on a phone with a smashed screen, whilst on a bus. People who don't care about quality.

I've no idea who's watching these motoring ones tho.
They must be interested in cars, but not enough to realise it's all b****cks, have little interest in the actual content or quality and not get aggravated by the presenters abrasive personality?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I think you've described most 'influencer' type videos in general there. I always assumed most were watched by kids, on a phone with a smashed screen, whilst on a bus. People who don't care about quality.

I've no idea who's watching these motoring ones tho.
They must be interested in cars, but not enough to realise it's all b****cks, have little interest in the actual content or quality and not get aggravated by the presenters abrasive personality?

I guess in terms of LLF, DMO etc, they probably appeal to certain demographics, while the likes of Shmee appeal to others.

All are interested in cars to a degree, but I suspect it's part of a wider "lifestyle" thing; be it the supercar-owning, global-travelling set, or the rebellious street-racer, f**k the police mob.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
I’ve only watched two videos with him in.

One was the Jonny smith video posted earlier in the thread, and the other was his recent taycan trip back from the ring. He’s not for me but then I guess I maybe a little older than his target audience. Also the cars he goes for aren’t for me either, the majority just scream look at me more than anything else.

The people I watch most all seem to be Evo or ex Evo journalists. Also enjoy Jonny smiths videos.

anyone been to one of the late brake show live event’s?