ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shocked at the age of some of you!

Having read some of the threads on here, I am shocked to see the age of some of the 172/182 owners! When I was 17/18, all I could afford was a beat up, old Y reg golf 1.0 which kept stalling all the time.

So, here are a couple of questions:

Does every single penny you earn go into your cars (I am assuming you still live at home with your parents), or do you have rich parents who bought them for you!?

Cheers
Clare

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yup my car costs £168 a month.

Insurance i dont pay anymore.

E90

Well I dont pay any insurance for mine, or fuel bills, cause Im a jammy tw*t, I do pay about 200 quid extra tax though.

but when I was 18 I had a Valver which was the days equivilant of the 172 and it cost me 750 squid fully comp, which in todays money would be 1000ish I guess, dont have rich parents was in debt upto my eyes working 40 hours at my regular job and another 20 on stock control at Tescos. :(

[Edited by Dutch 172 on 28 July 2004 at 11:35am]

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Well Im only just 21. No way I can afford a house so instead got a £230/month loan for the next 3 years. Paid the insurance in full. No help from my parents etc. Although I did get a £1k inheritance cheque come through a few weeks ago which has helped a bit.

The cost of the insurance that some of the people on here pay is scary. Mine costs just over a grand. I wouldnt pay like £1500 as a matter of principle! Its just throwing money away.

E90

Quote: Originally posted by Tom16v on 28 July 2004

Some of us 19 year olds cant afford 172/82s!

Im stuck with a valver!
Id be happy with a valver now at 28, look better than 172/82 imo.

I was gunna post and say it costs me nothing per month but then I realised you were talking about young people, Im now an old 25! lol

Quote: Originally posted by Rick on 28 July 2004

I wouldnt pay like £1500 as a matter of principle! Its just throwing money away.

depends how badly u want the car tho, im paying £1650 but im 20 with no, no claims bonus so it will be high

7.6cc :D

Quote: Originally posted by Dutch 172 on 28 July 2004

Quote: Originally posted by JillyB on 28 July 2004

I am also shocked at my age
Do you hear that???? Im playing the worlds smallest violin, just for you.
ppfffffft I hope you miss and poke yourself in the eye! ;)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Dutch 172 on 28 July 2004

Im stuck with a valver!
Id be happy with a valver now at 28, look better than 172/82 imo.
Fair enough! Its still a nippy car for 19 i spose.

Insurance aint bad either at £850 fully comp

Granted, im older than 17/18. Im 22. But ive only been driving for 18 months.

I pay £250 a month for car, and £57 a month for insurance.

Other than that I dont really spend much on the car, its my house that sucks up my wages :(

Im stuck with a valver!
Stuck? Im 19 and couldnt even get insured on a valver. You on your parents insurance?

-Rob

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Parents bought me a 1.2 for £5000 and paid the £1400 insurance. I crashed the car badly twice, didnt claim so I paid for repairs, I Then wrote off the car, lost my one years No Claim, used the money to pay my parents back, bought a 1.4 with my own saved money for £4350 and I paid for the £1500 insurance. My parents pay for regular costs such as Tax and MOT, I pay for servicing, insurance and parts etc.

Im 18 and 7 months btw

Plus the insurance is fully comp and in my name, im now skint

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

No my dad owns a business and insures a fleet of vehicles and because of this the insurance company came up with a deal for me.

I really didnt think it was that cheap though? Whats the norm for a 19 year old with 2 years no claims on a valver then?

Ultra Red Megane R26

Quote: Originally posted by Clarel on 28 July 2004
When I was 17/18, all I could afford was a beat up, old Y reg golf 1.0 which kept stalling all the time.

My first car was a 1.0 litre Y reg Golf too! Then went to a beetle, then back to Golf 1.0 litre, Golf GTI 8V, Clio 1.4 16V and now Clio 182! Its been a long journey! Now earning okay money, enough for a 182 but no house!

IMO

an owner looks after their car more if they paid for it themselves. ive seen people given new 206 cc, new minis, new golfs and a ford puma. most of the time they are the ones who have accidents

Jay

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 28 July 2004

IMO

an owner looks after their car more if they paid for it themselves. ive seen people given new 206 cc, new minis, new golfs and a ford puma. most of the time they are the ones who have accidents

Jay
I couldnt agree more, I thrashed my first car, although I picked the clour it never felt like it was mine, so I didnt really care about it, since Ive had my new one I care so much about it, get paranoid that it might get hurt :confused:

Quote: Originally posted by Saner on 28 July 2004

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 28 July 2004

IMO

Jay
I couldnt agree more, I thrashed my first car, although I picked the clour it never felt like it was mine, so I didnt really care about it, since Ive had my new one I care so much about it, get paranoid that it might get hurt :confused:

im the same, i pay for everything on my car and ill try my best to keep it mint, mates cant always understand

No my dad owns a business and insures a fleet of vehicles and because of this the insurance company came up with a deal for me.

I really didnt think it was that cheap though? Whats the norm for a 19 year old with 2 years no claims on a valver then?
What the insurance group? A mini (group 8 i think) is costing me £1400.

-Rob

Clio 172 Cup, Audi A

most of my money goes on my car,although just managed to get insurance down to 80 a month from 200.

what i dont spend on the car goes on the house

im 22 (just!!) btw

Has insurance got cheaper for younger people then? Cant understand it, when I was 19 and looking for insurance on my 1.0 golf, the cheapest was £390 TPFT. Fully comp was astronomical!

(BTW, I was 19 a few years ago!)

So, to pay £1,000 fully comp on a 2.0 litre car at 19 is very good I would say.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

True - it depends if you have been brought up to know the value of money i spose. My dad has always made sure i have as he grew up without much.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Nah i dissagree - its all depends on the individual person! My dad bought my first car amd i loved it to bits! I always kept it clean and never crashed it.

It was a 1.0l though! Lol
But did you pick out the car? Did you know exactly what you wanted, and when you finally found it, he paid for it? I wanted a black Mk2 Clio, didnt go as far to think about trim, seats, engine whatever, so my first car never fufilled my expectations. My second one <--- (over there) I looked though all the specs avalible, and decded I wanted a 1.4 16v Si, NOTHING else. I travelled roughlt 300 miles in various directions looking for it, and when I found it (in Norwich) I bought it. I live nr Windsor btw

306 XLd

I paid £846.30 insurance on a 91 Renault 5 1.2 (group 6) and thats on my provisional licence and i am 20 but that should come down as my dad has changed his car to a MG Metro so i am having his Mini Mayfair group 2 :).

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Saner on 28 July 2004

Nah i dissagree - its all depends on the individual person! My dad bought my first car amd i loved it to bits! I always kept it clean and never crashed it.

It was a 1.0l though! Lol
But did you pick out the car? Did you know exactly what you wanted, and when you finally found it, he paid for it? I wanted a black Mk2 Clio, didnt go as far to think about trim, seats, engine whatever, so my first car never fufilled my expectations. My second one <--- (over there) I looked though all the specs avalible, and decded I wanted a 1.4 16v Si, NOTHING else. I travelled roughlt 300 miles in various directions looking for it, and when I found it (in Norwich) I bought it. I live nr Windsor btw
I did pick the car yes but i didnt know what i wanted. Basically for christmas and my birthday (In Jan) he said hes get me a car up to the value of 5k max and it had to be kinda sensible. I looked at all the norm like saxos, clios, corsas and then i came across this Ibiza which i liked. It was only 4.5k, done minmul miles and was basically a VW so i got it.

But i do love cars and respected it. Probs the reason i didnt crash!

F1fan - thats well expensive!