ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shooting at Night tonight. Help!

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Hi Guys,

What ISO/Shutter speed would be ideal for car park lighting with a 400D - 18-55mm?

Last time I had very grainy images.

Thanks,

1.2 Dynamique billabong
to reduce grain keep the ISO as low as possible (100), you are best to use a tripod at night, if you set the aperture to a large f number (f22) then it will make the street lights appear as starbursts rather than just flare.
you are best to shoot on aperture priority then just adjust the exposure compensation (+/-) according to the situation

If you cant get hold of a tripod you will probably have to run at a high ISO to get any usable shots.

If you can get hold of one, then you can experiment with some longer shutter speeds which will give you great results.

If you think your going to start doing a lot of lower light shooting I would really look in to getting a faster bit of glass. The 50mm F1.8 can be had for less that £80.

At f1.8 and medium iso you should be able to get some crisp hand held shots (for future reference!)

Oil Burner
I would try and get a tripod, its really not worth doing otherwise, unless you have one of these amazing modern nikons ;).

Low iso/long exposure and a tripod can produce some very interesting shots, it can also find light where you didnt think it was.

Tripod, ISO 100, then as long as nothing is moving pick a suitable aperture for your desired depth of field and shutter speed.

Most important thing is to nail the White Balance, street lights give nasty yellow colour cast. I've never done it myself but learning how to set a custom white balance or nailing it in RAW could give the best results.