ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shooting indoors ~ in bright light

"Navy" N17 TWO
I've been asked by the Scout group I help out to step in as photographer for a special event next month (50th Anniversary Mass).

The Chapel is very-well lit up and very bright (White walls & lots of marble)

I took a few indoor shots the other night playing with different settings but nothing came up how I wanted :(

If I got the colours/exposure right people were blurred if they made the slightest movement
When I got people in focus the background was totally out

Any ideas for getting a good shot in these conditions?

Cheers
Trev

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Turn the shutter speed right down so it's really fast shutter..? What settings are you using .. Which camera ?

As above - turn the exposure comp down !?

:)

"Navy" N17 TWO
I have a D40 with a few lenses - mainly my new Sigma 17-70mm & 70-300mm

Also have a SB-600 Speedlight flashgun for it too :)

if it was bright with white walls etc then you could have used manual and bounced the flash (if you had one) if not then you can only bump up the ISO and use the onboard flash to freeze the action

"Navy" N17 TWO
I had the camera in Aperture mode at f4.5, sometimes 5.6 - shutter was 1/60 & 1600 ISO

Best shots are at 19mm f4 1/60 & 1600 ISO but still not very sharp

Motorbikes
ISO increases the sensors sensitivity to light, so a high ISO will be more sensitive, lower ISO is less sensitive. Higher ISO helps you use a faster shutter speed in low light. Also in addition to what vibrio said, 'noise'/graininess increases with ISO.

As the subjects are blurred then I'd suggest that shutter speed was too slow, hence creating the motion blur you are experiencing.

Also select the appropriate white balance for the chapel.... I'd assume either tungsten or fluorescent depending on lighting, or go custom if you know how.

Best thing to do is experiment with the settings and find what works best.

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
Cheers Steven :)

That's what I'm doing over the next few weeks - playing around to get the settings right so as to "get it right on the night" so to speak

Ian

Focus TDCi
Looks like a nice place that. The end furthest from the door (Sorry - I really don't know a lot about churches! :eek:) and the windows without stained glass in them look to be your best best for increased natural light levels, depending on the time of day.

Plenty of interesting features to try and include as well, although careful you don't end up with them as distracting backgrounds. :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
That would be the Altar I'm guessing? lol

We will be in it at night so I can forget natural light!
- I will be taking photos of our Cubs lowering the flags at the Altar and a few others during the mass :)

Ian

Focus TDCi
I was going to say altar, but didn't wan't to get it wrong lol! Ahh ok, well there's a few lights in there, but I imagine it's going to be very very dingy in there with no outside light. I'd say it's going to be on the limits of your equipment tbh, but if you've got a steady hand you might be alright. :) Ideally I'd be looking at wide aperture lenses and some form of fill flash, but I don't know if you have any of those?

Edit: just seen this: http://www.parishofdungannon.com/Dedication/index.htm. Doesn't seem to be too dark there actually. To make sure you're not getting blurred people, just make sure the shutter speed is high, which you can help by using a wide aperture and if necessary a higher ISO.

Last edited:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Sigma sounds decent at f/2.8, atlhough you'd probably get a bit of distortion at 17mm. It will be better than the kit lens I think though.

Not sure if you'll be allowed to used flash and to be honest I don't know much about using them; but if you are allowed it might be worth bouncing it off somewhere (the ceiling looks quite high..) to give a bit of fill flash for the background.

Edit: Orrr you could expose right for the background and then use the flash to freeze the people, that way you could keep your ISO down a bit.

I dunno, it's a tough gig!

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
IIRC I'm allowed to use the flash :)

I drove past the Chapel today and had the gear in the boot. Was in a CBA mood so didn't bother going in to test it out lol :eek:

Ian

Focus TDCi
I dunno mate, what I would say is that the more stuff you use, the more likely you are to forget something, or set something up wrong, just the law of averages! I think a stofen type diffuser would help reduce any harsh highlights if you do use flash. I don't want to lead you down a route you're not comfortable with though. Like I say, I've only ever used onboard flash in outdoor situations. Other people like vibrio and shadowness might be able to help you out.

Best thing you can do I'd say is go along to the chapel with somebody and have a practice taking shots of them. No substitute for practice. :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Cheers Ian, any advice is better than none and yes a practice session is on the to-do list as I don't want to make a balls of it on the night! :star:

I'll try get some tomorrow evening before I go to the photography club & see what I can pick up from that :)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I just purchaesed the 35mm Prime for the D40/x . In low light it is amazing. F1.8 it goes down to. £170 bit much for one night but worth a thought for future.

I found putting the ISO up a little and a small F stop should give a decent enough Shutter speed to reduce blur.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Pictures of a group - getting them all to stay still at the same time is a nightmare!

Inside is very well lit-up

Nimbus 197
Pictures of a group - getting them all to stay still at the same time is a nightmare!

Inside is very well lit-up

Just make sure your dof is large enough to keep the whole group in focus. (If that's what you want...) Other than that, I think the flash will come in very handy - I would do the same as Ian - expose for background and use the flash to freeze motion. practice!!!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Cheers - I got in the other day for some shots but all the feckin lights were off lol

"Navy" N17 TWO
^ Are they good enough to use?

Constructive opinions wanted - good or bad lol :eek:

4031799186_a7ff064b6e_b.png

4031043097_2fd38102ee_b.png

4031041375_090bfed1a7_b.png

4031039537_d4557dd20a_b.png

4031037061_0e19408d00_b.png

4031789790_e5348a36e7_b.png

Some previews :)

Last edited:

Ian

Focus TDCi
They look sharp, in focus and correct in terms of white balance etc, so I'm sure they will be happy enough with them. :) Considering they're straight from the camera I'm impressed! I'd be tempted to up the exposure a little, but I wouldn't go too far. How did you find it - was that the main ceremony or just a rehearsal? (I assume just a rehearsal based on what they're wearing etc.)