ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

should i get an R32 golf

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

as i work for an insurance companynwe get to buy the stolen and recovered cars and a golf r32 has come up at a lot less than retail so if i sell the 182 it wont cost much difference but im not sure anybody even owned driven one?? and are they any good handling and speed wise :devilish:

i would like one, depends what you want from a car, if its mainly motorways your doing go for the golf, if its mainly a/b roads, stick with the clio

[Edited by badinvincible because boss walked in and im fannying about on 04 August 2004 at 4:23pm]

Insurance Group goes up to 17 as well.

Personally I think they look great, but there the Old Shape now (which is better) that always kills value.

Depends on what its costing you :)

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

doesnt go down offically as stolen cos no damage and recovered by us so no affect on resale value

[Edited by Brooky182 on 04 August 2004 at 4:27pm]

I would go on Badinvicibles idea, what do you use it for?

Personally theyre far to heavy for me and that haldex sytem just doesnt work on track which is where i like to spend my time. Looks nice though.

-Rob

nice lookin cars, build quality is unsurpassed, but id rather have a V6 clio. How much money do they want for the golf?

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

its goes on an auction basis excat like ebay for people who works for us exact year and spec hasnt come up yet but they always go for at least 4-5 k below list price.

i use it for going backwards and forwards to work but i do like canning it through the twisties up in breacon in the 182. i guessing the golf wont match it there as i beat one up there a week ago but the guy driving couldnt drive for sh#t

[Edited by Brooky182 on 04 August 2004 at 4:32pm]

My valver was stolen recovered back in 2001. I still bought it as it wasnt damaged when stolen. It had just had the VIN plate removed.

Tappd'd RS

I really like the R32, but I dont know if Id get rid of a 182 to get one.

If I had no car and you asked me which one to go for, then Id opt for the Golf (Im a cliosport traitor - sorry!) ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

the ride on a R32 is rubbish. its not very nice to drive either.

The fact its the "old" shape wont really affect the used value of it as its hardly a regular Golf and there isnt a replacement out for it at the moment.

Its worth buying if you can buy it for "182" money (£12k?), as it wont depriciate like the Clio and the cheapest are still over £18k.

I recently test drove an Alfa 147 GTA, and I loved it, Didnt notice much torque steer like i expected, really fast and torquey, and that sound!!!!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

I looked at R32 recently an like said above they are beutiful cars in both looks an build quality but they are like the old VR6. Def motorway cruises!!

Mk2 Golf GTI

i reckon the golfs look better. Not as good as the GTI anniversary but better than a clio. Love them in that purple colour, really eye catching.

It makes me laugh that whenever something like this is posted, all most people think about is the performance.

Both cars have their pros and cons but personally id have the golf out of the two.

Clio 197

Howabout you allow the original owner to buy his/her car back!

I guarantee that they would have lost a fair few pounds on depreciation, I hope that they had GAP cover.

my colleague has one. its very well made, and it pretty quick, but doesnt feel fun to drive.

handling is exceptional and very forgiving, but i too would have the V6 clio, which i have done.

the R32s are holding value well though. personally they are too much like a golf with big wheels, and the seats are too big for the car, hitting the roof when lifted forward.

some of them suffer an intermittent problem of feeling like your pulling away in 2nd gear with no power. this is not an official recall as it only affects some cars, but makes it very slow when the problem happens.

i work on italian cars, and although they are lovely to drive, they need TLC, and plenty of oil top ups, even the naturally aspirated engines.

aslong as your prepared to do this, they will be strong and last.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Got a chance to see one close up and being driven quick and they are very good cars. Dont underestimate their handling either I would back a R32 to keep up with a 182 on any road really, loads of torque and interior is sweet as well. Plus there is decent build quality compared to french cars... if you can get a bargain Id say go for it.

R32s have a very good ESP system aswell as 4WD. they will outhandle almost anything on the road. my colleague takes roundabouts at 40mph, even the small tight ones and the car just deals with it with nothing but a bit of tyre screech and a flashing esp light on the dash.

ive not driven a 182 so cant comment, but the golf takes very little skill to throw round the lanes fast, id imagine a 182 to need a good driver.

CRX 16v, Golf SE

Personally Id say they were a bit too heavy for my liking, would rather get a 2nd hand Honda or something Jap, but thats just my opinion, you could have the ultimate drivers car (a crx) imported for less than 10k mate...Im not saying that the R32 isnt a good car, but there are other cars Id choose over it...

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1080768502__LeonvsR32008.jpgI used to have one

Have to say the ride quality is better than my 182 and it is pretty good on the handling stakes. Not as sharp and chuckable as the 182 though.

Interior is nice, but the Leather can sag and there can be a fair few squeaks to boot.

The exhaust note is superb, you realise how much like a washing machine the Clio sounds. My only real gripe was the lack of mid range poke and a very sharp throttle, occasional kangaroo.

If youve not had, one I would recomend changing the 182 for one.

Jonathan

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

thnks for all the advice and opinions guys but im just going to buy it and sell it me thinks, make some money and start saving for a v6 ,sat in one last night now i have to have one. should make a few quid so hopefully it wont be to long before it is going to be brookyV6

[Edited by Brooky182 on 05 August 2004 at 8:06am]

i would buy one mate if your going to get a deal then i would snap it up. its the car i want after my clio so i would say yes ;)

look good as well i wouldnt be to bothered about them as the old shape because the new shape looks rubbish!

only thing which puts me off is insurance

Old shape wont affect resale value at all, infact the old shape is more in demand than the new shape, cos people prefer it!

Id deffo have it if the cost to change wasnt out of reach!

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

buy v6 i meant a clio though guys and insurance aint aprob i work for an insurance comp so ge discount and know all the tricks

my m8 has got one , the low down pull in each gear is awesome and the handling at speed is more confidence inspiring than my 172 apart from the mpg i would swop any day....