ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I let my Missus drive my new car

Yep lads its that age old dilema.....

"Should I let my missus drive my new car."

Can you post some pros and cons of letting her indoors behind the wheel.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Chris.

Easy mate.

Let her drive it, but be the worst passenger ever, constantly commenting on her driving, and telling her what to do.

Hopefully she will get so fed up, that she wont want to drive the car.

Plus you wont be in her bad books for saying that she cant drive it.

Reverse psychology.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

If its a 1.2 8v then yes as its a girls car anyway. ;)

I let my old bird drive my valver and she cained it! I didnt really mind cus i did too! lol

If shes got insurance then id say yeah! Dont know about my golf though with the 19s on. We all know they cant park!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

chance of crashing car goes up immensly.

chance of kerbing alloys becomes an almost certainty.

you have to become a passenger on occasions, (which depening on girlfriend, can be a hair-raising experience)

you will still have to clean the car, her being allowed to drive it means jack sh*t when it comes to cleaning.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 10 May 2005

Think of the benefits, going to the pub getting waknered and telling her to drive home
Thats what i was just thinkin! lol

Octavia VRS

My girlfriend has actually made my insurance come down by adding her as a named driver so would be unfair not to let her drive mine!

When/If I get a 182 the insurance quote I got with her added on was £50 less than just me on my own! But she wont be driving that ;)

[Edited by POW_Clio on 10 May 2005 at 12:18pm]

This is an easy one, NO

Kerbed wheels, everytime u get in the seat is so close to the wheel u cant get in, perfume smell on your seatbelts, heel marks/chips on the sills, shall i go on

I let my mum drive my car, and to be honest it is a pain.

As she always moves my seats, mirrors etc, which is a pain to get comfy again.

She changes the radio station, or CD from what i had it on.

She has curbed the wheels

The drivers door has scratches on it, from where she gets out with keys in hand and shuts the door with keys bouncing off the paint.

So if you can help it, DONT LET HER DRIVE IT. If it means you wont get any then obviously you have to let her.

The only reason i let mum drive mine, is cause she doesnt have her own car, she regulaly puts petrol in, helps towards servicing, and tax costs, and she reduces muy insurance by upto £100+

my missus is a sh*t hot driver, never clips alloys and can reverse into any space. Bet she could give most guys a run for their money and probably beat them. let her go for it

hang on, youve replied to your own thread, telling us shes a sh1t hot driver!

Why didnt you tell us that before.

There are pros and cons, my missus used to drive my valver, straight after she passed her test. if you become a very annoying passenger, and keep on at her when she does stuff wrong, then she will soon learn, and get better. My valver was lowered, so when parking you couldnt let the front or rear bumper overhang the kurb.

She was fine.

Also, the trips to and from the pub are great!

What car is it? a 1.2 8v?

its his missus here, he pissed me off by his cooments so, i thought i would get my own back.

I cant wait to get behind the wheel of the car and go and do some track days- i think he is just worried i will show him up.

i have driven 10 yeasrs with out a crash and my alloys on the car we just sold were perfect.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

If by missus you mean married rather than just girlfriend/fiancee etc, then definitely - you normally get cheaper insurance....

Depends on her driving ability though. Jain (my wife) is a cracking driver and one of the few people Id trust with the keys of my 182 with...

D.

Quote: Originally posted by mason__1 on 10 May 2005

the new car will be a 182

charlie B

Cool, my missus is called Charlie, and Im Chris.

as above, if you are married, go for it. insurance will be loads cheaper. mine went down by a few hundred quid when I added the missus, even though she had only been driving a few months.

R

rich[182]

yes, its only a car, when i got mine i had the same thoughts before she pointed out its only a car, i realised i was being silly and dont bother me in the slightest now, besides shes a good driver and generally takes care of anything, more important things in life to worry about IMHO

LY 200

NO!!!

Birds always say they can drive but when they get behind the wheel f**k can they..........Iv had 2 experiences of this and have now learnt my lesson!!!Lol

I let mine rag my 172 whenever she wants. Although I dont let her take it to her work - 12hrs parked in hospital carparks I dont think so. She fairly flogs her boring 1.6 Astra sometimes though.

She drove her old mans Boxster S quite a lot when he was banned. If he trusts her with that, I trust her with my clio. Its only a car after all!

133/225/CLS AMG

I dont actually let anyone drive my 172 even thought its insured under my mums name haha!!

My missus is actually a really good driver and although her Zetec-S isnt as fast as the 172 she can throw it around like no bodies business, Id trust her over any of my mates driving my car.

Depends if shes the type of girl who thinks that hub caps are designed to buffer the wheel from the kerbs!! lol

Dirty E91

I let the missus drive my...sorry our carS shes only been driving for 9 months and has kerbed both front wheels, one of which she has replaced.

she doesnt tend to drive me around as she reckons I make her nervous!

TT 225

:s some nice replies here. Can honestly say though in 6 years i have no points, no accidents and not one kerbed alloy - my dilemma is whether to let my other half drive the coupe ;)

LY182/NHB CTR

its the person not if they are male or female,

but then if you dont let your missus drive your car who can you blame for kerbed wheels etc !!!!!

Vee dub

Quote: Originally posted by Evandim* on 10 May 2005

its the person not if they are male or female,

but then if you dont let your missus drive your car who can you blame for kerbed wheels etc !!!!!

LOL

My ex always used to be very very careful with the coupe... especially as its so vulnerable, but then Id given her lectures beforehand about where/how to park it ;) . ALWAYS across 2 spaces, NEVER parallel park if youre not sure youll make it in cleanly, and NO CHANGING DOWN INTO 1ST GEAR AT 30 MPH :mad:

133/225/CLS AMG

Good point!! lol

Thing is my missus has never kerber one of her own alloys and since my mum has got a focus with alloys shes never gone near a kerb either!!

Funny thing was when I did let my missus drive my car she was so nervous it was untrue. Anyone would think Im paranoid about my car!!

R

rich[182]

Ive kerbed my own alloy, was annoyed at the time but since seen the funny side of it, my ex used to go along with the flow when I got all protective about my previous cars whereas my wife just laughs and says get a life you sad git its only a car

fat 182

my other half was driving my Z3 10 minutes after passing her test

then my mr2 roadster after that

and when we took a 182 out for a test drive she says let see what this can do then

and procided to scare the sh*t out of the sales man:devilish:

Mk2 172 (Silver)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i wouldnt let my girlfriend drive my car... she keeps asking whether she can or not and i just say no.

justified by a call just this afternoon..

"hiya neil......i have scratched my car, am quite annoied, i was coming into the garage at work and heard a screech..."

she then popped around about an hour later and she had scratched it again getting out of the garage

bloody hell....for some reason im annoied even thoug its her car

It depends on who she is as much as how she drives.

My other half bought a bum basic 1.2 Mk2 last autumn, at which point she was terrified of driving - having not driven since she passed her test in 1997. Shes built her confidence up slowly - and part of that was driving the 172.

She point blank refused to drive my Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, so one of the reasons for me getting a 172 was to get her to drive something a bit more powerful to help her confidence. Its good for her to drive the 172 now and again - and it means I get to drink from time to time too.;)

Like I say, it depends on who she is, but my other half has never taken the 172 over about 3,500rpm and knows to be careful in it. I try to be as quiet as possible when shes driving it and have told her (truthfully) that if she prangs it, it doesnt matter.

The fact that I show that confidence in her driving helps give some of her own confidence.

Left my girlfriend in the car while I went into the supermarket and came out to find her driving my car round the carpark at 4mph. She is now banned from driving it. If I wanted my car to be driven slowly Id have bought a Daewoo

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Set her a test.

100 questions, 10 min.

if she passes then yes.

133/225/CLS AMG

As said before, totally depends on the woman in question.

My missus is to some extent a petrol head so I would trust her, even though she doesnt trust herself. But if shes the kind of girl who thinks that the rear view mirror is used to apply lipstick and that it is acceptable to drive a pink car (I know women like this) then dont let her near it!! lol