ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should i? Shouldnt i?

Your asking on a Clio forum. You would need to put your hand in your pocket to change, and its a horizontal change rather than an upgrade.
I would keep the cup or get something all together completely different, I don't like the image associated with type r's or the looks, best bits the engine and gearbox.

FTO GPX Mivec
yeah, i deffo gonna test drive, thing is you can all most 100% bet that each and every one for sale has been ragged silly on the raods :(

Golf 7R
For fun-factor and raw hardcore driving keep the cup, for reliability a bulletproof engine and the best gear box around combined with good customer aftersales service get the Type R!

Also the civic sees good results from a few choice mods, relatively cheap!

Milltek'd 182
its not really an upgrade as alexS says. I havent driven a 172, but my mum has a type r and i have a 182. i like the gear box and seats of the type r. but i would never swap mine for it. i prefer the looks of the clio, and its more fun to drive.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
I've owned both, the Cup wins hands down in every department that matters!(to me!) It's not a sideways movement, as a drivers car it's a down grade! The CTR is hands down the worst performace car I've owned, and I've had a few!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Test drive both and see which one you like. Asking that question on either a Clio forum or a Honda forum is going to get you biased views.

Mk4 .:R32
I wouldn't say it's much of an upgrade tbh. For a good 03 reg with about 30k miles your looking at £9-10k for a type r. Go for a trophy for that price, won't depricate too much with them being rare. Civics are common as pig-poop, there's about 6 around my area all driven by either chavs or complete nerds.

MCS R56
I reckon a test drive is required, as you may like it better. In my opinion, they are not as much fun to drive but definately feel better quality. They are no quicker than the Cup (I had a wee tussle with one last night), so no performance gains to be had. I also suspect your running cost will increase. I wouldn't but it depends what you are looking for in a hot hatch. Both are great cars but the Cup is special!

Even if it drives so much better than the Clio on the test drive (it won't) is it worth an additional £4k plus over your cup?
I would either get something all together totally different, Elise, VX etc, or spend £1.5k on the Clio, buckets coilovers etc then take the gf on a nice holiday!

FTO GPX Mivec
Well i have taken all your comments on board! and have decided.... Clio for the win! gonna spend a little cash on it and get a little more performance efficiency :)

cheers for you help ya'll :)

VW Golf TDI
I test drove a civic Type R, and my mate has one, They use alot of fuel ! My old clio was better on fuel etc

Octavia VRS
I'm picking up my 53 plate CTR on Saturday so I'm biased. I think it's a good drive, and as said the engine and gearbox are great. But it was the whole package that won it over a 182 and I got it for a very good price :)

Go for a test drive and see what you reckon