ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I upgrade from vista to windows 7 ?

BMW 330ci
So the screen on my old laptop got water damaged, but I have now got a replacement, the same laptop for £80 fully working which I think is a good deal TBF, but it comes with vista, and I have found a website "software4students" and can get windows 7 for £40 just wondering if its really worth it.

Is it much better ?

Thanks
Brad

Audi TTS S Tronic
Aero theme, couple of services not needed

ALso, in power options... put it on HIGH PERFORMANCE... windows vista and 7 stuff ships in balanced mode... massive performance difference

BMW 330ci
I've had vista for a few a years and it's fine IMO.
I know so have I thats what Ive currently got, but I can get it for £40, so just thinking if its worth it while Ive got the chance.

Aero theme, couple of services not needed

ALso, in power options... put it on HIGH PERFORMANCE... windows vista and 7 stuff ships in balanced mode... massive performance difference

oo cool, may give that a try before purchasing then. Thanks

Astra CDTI SRI
You won't realise how bad Vista is until you upgrade to 7.

Make sure you back everything up (using windows backup and restore on vista) and do a full clean install of 7.

Then use 7's backup and restore to restore your files.

[youtube]_BvpOJKSgMA[/youtube]

BMW 330ci
Ive bought another laptop, same as my old one because the screen one was water damaged so nothing on there is going to be mine, will have a look at what programs are on there first.

S3, Polo
Start > Contol Panel (top right corner, set view to small icons) > Performance Info & Tools > Adjust Power Settings > ... [Change Plan Settings]

I think.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i briefly used vista for a few weeks on a laptop i was selling on and after a few tweeks it wasnt as bad as some people make out but 7 is everything vista should have been.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
7 is all the good bits that vista had, with none of the annoying bits. No brainer IMO, definitely get 7

TBH from the user's point of view it looks exactly the same, bar a few little new menus or features. What you don't realise until your a few months in is that, unlike vista, it isn't regularly a pain to deal with. May as well get the 64bit version whilst you're there as well to future-proof yourself in terms of RAM upgrading (or even to make the most of what's already there!). Along with all the usual buying/installing a fresh OS in the case of vista to win 7 with the software4students product I'd make sure:

* You add the right version to the cart though. If you don't enjoy computers get the disc. If you're good with the technical side of them choose the download option (it's 3GB and saves you a £5 P&P) and burn the ISO to a DVD.
* If you use windows mail then pleeeaaaasssseeee export everything properly. This one program alone can cause more trouble than the entire rest of your hard drive full of programs & settings.
* Also if you fancy there's another bundle deal on software4students that gets you win 7 pro & office 2010 pro for an extra £20 IIRC. Again take care making sure you've added the correct version (64 or 32bit) to your basket.

BMW 330ci
I know its probably similar but for £50 you cant grumble. Is there any point, I've currently got a sony vaio laptop which is 4/5 years old with just 2gb of RAM ?

Yeah I'm good with the technical side so would burn it to a disk, save a fiver ;) lol.
What you mean export everything ?
Ive got office 2007, there dont seem that much difference, and tbh I hardly use either just for a bit of college work, and 2007 seems the same as 2010 as I use that at college.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
7 runs better on lower specs than vista does in my experiance so 2gb will be fine, it runs much better with 4gb but 2 is fine, my daily machine i take to work with me only has 2gb of ram and win7 ultimate and it still does the job no bother!

Oh I agree. I went for the software4students win7 upgrade last month. I had some other reasons but at £40 "why not?" is a perfectly good way of justifying it. Do it.

You have to burn it as an "ISO image" to the disc so it's a bit different as you can't use windows or nero etc but it's perfectly do-able. Imgburn is a free bit of easy to use & reliable software.

R.e. Exporting. Though it's an "upgrade" it does require a fresh install. When you fresh install you will loose everything as I'm sure you know. Copy/pasting from an external HDD is fine for music etc but it won't work for programs and settings. Windows Mail virtually implodes all your email accounts if you do not go "file > export" (this saves everything in one really handy file that can be file > imported in Windows 7's version of windows mail). Obviously this is only relavent if you use the program Windows Mail. Take a look at the youtube vid above, as I prefer to do things manually tbh I don't know exactly what is and isn't covered but, windows vista has a built in program that tries to save as much of your files, music, documents & settings etc as possible in one big folder (which you then "import" into windows 7 and everything is supposed to work and be exactly like your old PC in terms of what is kept where and settings etc)

I agree. Office 2007 looks identical to 2010 speaking as someone who only uses word and the more basic/intermediate aspects of excel.

Oh, r.e. 64bit or 32bit. 64bit only becomes advantageous once you go over about 3.3GB of RAM. If you one day think you might upgrade then go for 64bit. In theory 32bit should be more reliable as most of the world is programmed with 32bit in mind. However proffesional programs such as Solidworks are starting to switch to 64bit only. 64bit used to have a "nothing works" stigma about it but things seemed to have changed massively since the days of XP 64 and Vista 64. 32bit will be fine if you MUST be old fashioned or don't need 64bit :rasp:

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Oh I agree. I went for the software4students win7 upgrade last month. I had some other reasons but at £40 "why not?" is a perfectly good way of justifying it. Do it.

You have to burn it as an "ISO image" to the disc so it's a bit different as you can't use windows or nero etc but it's perfectly do-able. Imgburn is a free bit of easy to use & reliable software.

R.e. Exporting. Though it's an "upgrade" it does require a fresh install. When you fresh install you will loose everything as I'm sure you know. Copy/pasting from an external HDD is fine for music etc but it won't work for programs and settings. Windows Mail virtually implodes all your email accounts if you do not go "file > export" (this saves everything in one really handy file that can be file > imported in Windows 7's version of windows mail). Obviously this is only relavent if you use the program Windows Mail. Take a look at the youtube vid above, as I prefer to do things manually tbh I don't know exactly what is and isn't covered but, windows vista has a built in program that tries to save as much of your files, music, documents & settings etc as possible in one big folder (which you then "import" into windows 7 and everything is supposed to work and be exactly like your old PC in terms of what is kept where and settings etc)

I agree. Office 2007 looks identical to 2010 speaking as someone who only uses word and the more basic/intermediate aspects of excel.

Oh, r.e. 64bit or 32bit. 64bit only becomes advantageous once you go over about 3.3GB of RAM. If you one day think you might upgrade then go for 64bit. In theory 32bit should be more reliable as most of the world is programmed with 32bit in mind. However proffesional programs such as Solidworks are starting to switch to 64bit only. 64bit used to have a "nothing works" stigma about it but things seemed to have changed massively since the days of XP 64 and Vista 64. 32bit will be fine if you MUST be old fashioned or don't need 64bit :rasp:

Microsoft's next server release is pure 64-bit - and about bloody time too. 32-bit has served its purpose (and served it well) - but hardware had romped ahead and is still held back by archaic memory limits by filling it with 32-bit based software.

I purposely installed Win7 64-bit on my works laptop when I could. I also chucked on Office 2010 64-bit - despite some flapping on Microsoft's own FAQs that tries to dissuade you from installing 64-bit Office and going for the 32-bit version instead. With or without a 64-bit OS being present underneath.

The net result? No issues at all. It simply doesn't help to push 64-bit forward when manufacturers like Microsoft themselves put up wary comments. As you can guess, I was one of the few people who trialed, used and generally really liked Windows XP x64. ;)

D.