ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Show Your Home Theater

Mito Sportiva 135
I'll take pics of mine tonight as quite happy with how the system has evolved. My main system is:
Sony W955 TV 55" TV
Phillips blu ray player
Sony STRN 1050 amp, 2 x 350w Sony floor standing speakers, 350w Cambridge Audio sub, 120w Cambridge Audio centre (the sound really is amazing with the new CA additions I have to say, so punchy and clear)
Sky+ HD box

Upstairs in my mancave I have:
50" LG plasma
2 channel LG speakers and sub
Xbox One
Dell Inspiron media PC

Both systems are quite light in terms of number of components, but especially with my main system have gone with quality with the view of adding to it over time

SQ5
Tried replacing the fuse but it just audibly cracks and dies as soon as I plug it in. Not plugged into my amplifier. So it seems it has in fact blown up. Gutted.

The good news is that B&W's active speakers are seemingly covered by a 2 year warranty, and mine is only 18 months old. So, as a first point of contact, I've been in touch with the seller. I'll wait and see what they say. Pretty disappointed though :(

That's good news, kind of. They have excellent customer support.

Seems very unlike B&W as their products are usually very robust, must have just been very unlucky! Hope it gets sorted with minimal fuss.

Very unlucky. I've only had a pair of CCM616 in ceiling speakers fail, one went straight out of the box and the other went about 18 months later, very strange.

And then a couple of Pv1's but after 8 years and 6 years.

Whats the retail on one of those?

ASW610 is £499

I've been wanting to replace my tv unit for the last two years. I couldn't find anything fit for purpose, so I decided to draw and mockup a design I wanted, and give to a joiner.

Here's the old unit (Ikea Besta unit, ~7 years old):
16008517818_168a962ec4_h.jpg

My drawing and design mockup (measurements of speakers etc):
22774453614_74bb373bbf_h.jpg

23294352072_88beb45dc7_h.jpg

Made and fitted:
23034863759_90b8d3f8be_h.jpg

Colour choices (to be painted by my wife):
23034863479_7d5cd1b82e_h.jpg

The finished product, along with the walls chased and filled:
23320286941_a2a94f659a_h.jpg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Who made that for you mate?

I'm really struggling to find one that suits what I require so I think I'm gonna have to get a custom one

Looks smart, but aren't the lights behind annoying?
Nope. It allows me to have lights on, with no reflections, and definitely helps eye fatigue.

Who made that for you mate?

I'm really struggling to find one that suits what I require so I think I'm gonna have to get a custom one

Just a local joiner to me, doesn't even have a website/Facebook page.

Turned up at 8.30am, measured up (in case mine were wrong), and had it built by 4pm. It's solid and can slide in/out (right side skirting is double sided taped to the wall, so can be pulled off).

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
I've been wanting to replace my tv unit for the last two years. I couldn't find anything fit for purpose, so I decided to draw and mockup a design I wanted, and give to a joiner.

Here's the old unit (Ikea Besta unit, ~7 years old):
16008517818_168a962ec4_h.jpg

My drawing and design mockup (measurements of speakers etc):
22774453614_74bb373bbf_h.jpg

23294352072_88beb45dc7_h.jpg

Made and fitted:
23034863759_90b8d3f8be_h.jpg

Colour choices (to be painted by my wife):
23034863479_7d5cd1b82e_h.jpg

The finished product, along with the walls chased and filled:
23320286941_a2a94f659a_h.jpg
Looks good but I don't get why you've a done the speakers like that

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Nope. It allows me to have lights on, with no reflections, and definitely helps eye fatigue.

Just a local joiner to me, doesn't even have a website/Facebook page.

Turned up at 8.30am, measured up (in case mine were wrong), and had it built by 4pm. It's solid and can slide in/out (right side skirting is double sided taped to the wall, so can be pulled off).
Could I be cheeky and ask how much mate? PM if you like.

The ones I've been looking at are around £400, but they're just not quite right

SQ5
I like it, really nice.

We've just bought a new house and has a decent upstairs room that could become a full blown cinema room! Just needing to persuade the powers that be...

DCi
Are soundbars a worthy substitute for 5.1 sound? Debating the simplicity of less cabling vs the fact it's not really surround sound

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I don't see why not. You would just cut the end off one strip, then solder the two strips together.

The remote controls the current between the plug adapter and the first LED.

The only thing I'm not sure on, is how much power the LEDs require.

C.J, do you have to dim the lights with the remote every time you turn them on or do you have to re-do it every time you power up?

F82 M4
Why not? The speakers are in the same position they've been for 2/3 years, and serve the sound I need.

I'm not chasing perfection.
I think he was referring to them being separate L+R units however they look like a centre and a sub to me? In which case their position makes sense.

C.J, do you have to dim the lights with the remote every time you turn them on or do you have to re-do it every time you power up?
No, they stay on the 2nd lowest setting all of the time. The receiver remembers the last setting.

I think he was referring to them being separate L+R units however they look like a centre and a sub to me? In which case their position makes sense.
Oh, they are Centre & Right. The Left is the other side of the fireplace, and the sub behind the sofa.

They are set up with the Audacity (sp?) mic, so the sound is balanced.

F82 M4
No, they stay on the 2nd lowest setting all of the time. The receiver remembers the last setting.

Oh, they are Centre & Right. The Left is the other side of the fireplace, and the sub behind the sofa.

They are set up with the Audacity (sp?) mic, so the sound is balanced.
Yeah all makes sense now :)

I'm pretty sure he thought it was Left & Right speakers placed like that you see.

DCi
Can you get them to run off usb? I keep meaning to try this and my tv has 3 usb sockets so I thought this might be a good use for them

Nice setup cj. Yours and Russians make me want the led.
Been thinking of getting those for the sitting room out back. Don't have a lamp in there so would be great. It's basically my Xbox gaming room and we watch films in here now n then. Cosy!
c4bf4d236725835d1d78a7b798aa6cd8.jpg

Looking to get framed classic film print posters for the walls.
It's a few year old 42 led LG tv and a pioneer soundbar. Xbox is under the unit in corner by tv.

Are soundbars a worthy substitute for 5.1 sound? Debating the simplicity of less cabling vs the fact it's not really surround sound
All personal really. Depends if your obsessed with hearing a missile blow behind you or wether just big sound is all your after.
I've switched to a soundbar and find it good! Very pleased. No clutter or wires. Sub is in the other side of the room.

Philips HTL5140B/12 2.1 Channel Soundbar Speaker with Wireless Subwoofer - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J2SBHQW/?tag=cliospnet01-21
Bought that one from good reviews. Some say of wireless sub disconnecting issues..... but maybe some people don't read instructions. Advises not to fit too close or without direct line of sight to have optimal connection.
Mines been perfect!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Nice setup cj. Yours and Russians make me want the led.
Been thinking of getting those for the sitting room out back. Don't have a lamp in there so would be great. It's basically my Xbox gaming room and we watch films in here now n then. Cosy!
c4bf4d236725835d1d78a7b798aa6cd8.jpg

Looking to get framed classic film print posters for the walls.
It's a few year old 42 led LG tv and a pioneer soundbar. Xbox is under the unit in corner by tv.

Bit unfair to critique someone else's living room, but have you considered moving the radiator to the end of the room, lowering the tv and having it above slim, long unit (which could house your sound bar and Xbox)? I think that would make it more comfortable and look smart.

Bit unfair to critique someone else's living room, but have you considered moving the radiator to the end of the room, lowering the tv and having it above slim, long unit (which could house your sound bar and Xbox)? I think that would make it more comfortable and look smart.
Critique away [emoji4]
I had thought of getting a unit and doing similar to what you mentioned. The room is tiny though, maybe the wide angle gives the impression of a larger room. So opted on maximizing floor space. The center of the tv is about shoulder height. It's a tad higher than I'd have fitted but didn't want it all too close to the radiator. The tv is angled forward. It's comfortable Tbf. There only about 2 meters from the door edge to the wall. So would have been cramped there with an 800 radiator and a unit. The off center radiator does bug me though!
It's only the back sitting/living room anyway. So not so fussed. The front room has the usual unit in the corner with tv and soundbar. [emoji106]

DCi
Agree that it's expensive for what's essentially 2 Bluetooth speakers on top of a fairly standard soundbar setup but it seems difficult to source anything equivalent notably cheaper

Probably need to go somewhere like Richer Sounds and ask if it's possible

2014 Focus Titanium
Agree that it's expensive for what's essentially 2 Bluetooth speakers on top of a fairly standard soundbar setup but it seems difficult to source anything equivalent notably cheaper

Probably need to go somewhere like Richer Sounds and ask if it's possible
If your budget is £500 then you can get a WAY better system than that. Something like this plus a Google Chromecast so you can play from your phone/tablets, then you don't need bluetooth, and you will achieve much better sound quality and more features and flexibility.

DCi
I'm probably coming at it from the other way

I want 5.1 sound and I want wireless because it will be a mission to chase the cables round my funny shaped living room but I can't find a suitable product for under that kind of price

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
After reading about lights behind the TV being better on your eyes Etc I gave it a (pikey!) go. Desk lamp with a lowish watt bulb behind the tv (it's a nice hue. Had really sore eyes last night, probably from going between my Mac screen and the TV which was in a dark corner. Will see... (I've also centralised the light in the corner as best as possible now).

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    639.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: C.J
  Clio Trophy
if anyone is interested in back lighting, there is a good project on kickstarter called Dreamscreen, standalone with hdmi, i have a lightpack but it requires a pc, so looking forwards to this new one

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I'd prefer a sound system with optical out than spend that much on a sound bar.
same. Soundbars just dont compare to a real sound system. I ripped up all my skirting boards and fed speaker wire to speaker terminals in the corner of each room cut into the skirting boards, so i simply plug in speakers in each corner of the room. Sorted :) no wires.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
if anyone is interested in back lighting, there is a good project on kickstarter called Dreamscreen, standalone with hdmi, i have a lightpack but it requires a pc, so looking forwards to this new one
Backed! thanks for sharing this! was close to buying a lightberry too. Only shame is it only seems to have one hdmi input, but that's nothing a hdmi remote splitter can't fix.