ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shutter speed.

Fiesta ST-3
Last night I attempted to take a picture of a star trail. Now I had the camera set up on a tripod, pointing to the north star etc. The shutter speed was set to bulb and I had a remote to control the shutter.

So I pressed it and I was away. Now after exactly 30 minutes the camera shutter closed ending my capture... Why would this be? Are there internal settings I can alter to keep it open indefinitely?

Fortunately the picture was w**k anyway due to the moon but I'd still like to know why it shut after 30 minutes. Camera is a Nikon D5000 and the battery was freshly charged and still full. I've seen star trails done for hours.

Scott

Fiesta ST-3
Serious? I take it the pro models are much longer then. I guess I could open it as soon as it closes every half hour and merge the pictures together?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hasn't it got a BULB setting? You need a remote to use it but you can leave it open as long as you want?

Fiesta ST-3
Last night I attempted to take a picture of a star trail. Now I had the camera set up on a tripod, pointing to the north star etc. The shutter speed was set to bulb and I had a remote to control the shutter.

So I pressed it and I was away. Now after exactly 30 minutes the camera shutter closed ending my capture... Why would this be? Are there internal settings I can alter to keep it open indefinitely?

Fortunately the picture was w**k anyway due to the moon but I'd still like to know why it shut after 30 minutes. Camera is a Nikon D5000 and the battery was freshly charged and still full. I've seen star trails done for hours.

Scott

Hasn't it got a BULB setting? You need a remote to use it but you can leave it open as long as you want?

Yerp.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Better off stacking images, esp. with the full moon (and the camera pointing away obviously ;) )

30 mins is waaaay too long with the moon as it is now. My 17min on tues was like a bright sunny day haha !

Take numerous 30s/1min/5min/10min exposures.... throw them at photoshop and glue them together into one epic picture !

Storm Grey 200
I found that the results are MUCH better stacking. I have a D90 and with a 30 min exposure it was noisy and s**t. Its also pretty risky. I leave the camera going taking 30sec photos for an hour or so. And then stacked them using the star trails program (which is free and easy)

Storm Grey 200
This sort of thing?

5097875540_ff18263c03.jpg

5097283781_065b78f499.png

Those star pics are superb, gonna have to try this tonight!

EvilGiraffe - Shall i take some more photos of my giraffe for you ;)

Fiesta ST-3
I found that the results are MUCH better stacking. I have a D90 and with a 30 min exposure it was noisy and s**t. Its also pretty risky. I leave the camera going taking 30sec photos for an hour or so. And then stacked them using the star trails program (which is free and easy)

Can you set most DSLR'S to take snaps every 30 seconds?

Storm Grey 200
You can on Canons I think, but I have a Nikon, So I either sit pressing my remote for hours or tape down the button :)

Cupra
With Canon you can do it if the camera is plugged into a PC/ Laptop using the Canon software, or you can get cheap remotes from Hong Kong/ eBay that will also do it for you.

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
You can get cheap import brand timer remotes from dealextreme.

Plug in the cam and will take a pic every 30 min for 30 min or whatever.

Slow red one
This sort of thing?

5097875540_ff18263c03.jpg

5097283781_065b78f499.png
How are these stunning images achieved? Whenever i've done long exposures at night it always comes out very bright as if it were daytime? So how can you leave it going for 30sec and still get a dark pic with the starts appearing? cheers

Oil Burner
I've never shot these before myself. But i would guess that you just have to shoot the highest aperture your lens will allow (F22, F32 etc) and then the lowest natural ISO your camera will do (iso100 or 200). And on a tripod in bulb mode obviously.

It will probably help to try and find somewhere without too much light pollution too.

Fiesta ST-3
Basically the bulb mode will stay open as long as you hold down the shutter button and close when you let go. Which is mongols without a remote as you will have stupidly bad shake. So the remote stops that. Press to open, press to close.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Go to shutter priority or manual mode, keep turning the speed down, it'll go fractions, seconds, then 5 10 15 20 30 bulb. Something like that anyway.

What camera have you got?

Ly182 - examples needed with exif data to help ;)

Fiesta ST-3
Right lads had another crack at this tonight. 60 x 30second captures and then the software to fit them all together. Not happy with the out come tbh. So I think I'm going to go back to just one long shutter speed or maybe 4 long ones. Anyways here it is.... The software has blurred the image btw. And I have no idea where there are stupid little dots.

5376179971_ac00347fc9.jpg

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like some (I'm going to say 4 as there's 4 dots) of the shots were pointing in a slightly different angle. Hope you didn't touch the camera during this shoot ? :rasp:

Storm Grey 200
Highish aperture, long shutter. If the moon is bright you can have difficulty getting a nicely exposed image, but the moon is also handy to light the foreground like in the attempt above. Im still searching for somewhere in the UK where there isnt many streetlights and a great landscape.

There are some great ones from the US of yosemite, well worth checking out

Fiesta ST-3
Looks like some (I'm going to say 4 as there's 4 dots) of the shots were pointing in a slightly different angle. Hope you didn't touch the camera during this shoot ? :rasp:

Funilly enough I hand on heart didn't touch the camera. Not once. It was a bit breezy but its very random lol.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Put it in M mode (manual) rather than shutter prio.

Bulb mode will only be in full manual as it won't know how long you want to take picture for, so cant adjust aperture etc to suit an (almost) infinite time scale of exposure :evil: