ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sigma 135-400mm.

Just picked up one of these cheap cheap from someone I know.

135-400mm (f4.5-f5.6), APO DG.

Read every review I could find before I got it, to make a decision. Most people were saying its slow to autofocus, is soft at 400mm, blah blah blah...Thought id' go for it anyway.

Sold my Canon 70-200f4 a while back now, just wasn't long enough, its good to have a bit more reach.

Its fairly heavy, quite a bit heavier on my 40d body, usable though. Autofocus is alot quicker than expected, does not really hunt much.Took a few snaps with it before, dull day, still very sharp wide open. Obviously its not going to be as sharp as a 300mmf2.8, but im not going to be blowing them upto billboard size so I think 5.6@400mm is adequate enough!

Its discontinued now apparently, was £450ish new back when It came out, I paid quite a bit less than half of that!

Overall im happy with it, especially with the bit more length...Will give it a try at some trackdays soon, see how it performs...

Anyone else had any experience with it?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Not even heard of it tbh! It will be interesting to see how it performs though, like you say - good to hear you're getting back into it. ;)

You going to that Oulton Park session that Brett's posted up?

I hadnt heard of it until I was told about it, not much info on the net about it apart from on bird forums etc!

Apparently its just a cut down version of one of their EX lenses, seems good enough for now anyway...

Is it on the friday? Maybe, you going?... Im going down to silverstone on sat for fordfair on sunday, will see how it goes using it at silverstone for some track shots

Quite large @ 400mm with the hood on, lol.

IMG_3908.jpg

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3922.jpg

Definitely easily on par build wise with the 70-200F4L, will see what its like @ 200mm in comparison when I get the chance with some of my old pics :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
what i like about the 70-200 is the lack of it extending, staying one length is a plus i think.

I've always fancied something longer but i just don't want image quality to suffer because of it with the 70-200L being such an amazing lens.

I actually rarely find i need anything past 200, but then i don't do much motorsport these days.

Cupra
i sold my 70-200 for the same reasons as you. Will hopefully be picking up a Canon 100-400 in a couple of weeks for a good price. Was also looking at these as an option second hand. Didn't big peaches have one of them for a month or two?

Seems that there isnt much about them on the internet, but for the price I paid I cant grumble....If needed be I could sell it on ebay for a profit and move on....seems good enough though!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol that's a beast! Yeah I'll probably be going to Oulton, be good to get a bit of practice in, can give you a shout nearer the time if I'm going.

I'll be interested to see how the images turn out with this one anyway, I was thinking of getting a massive zoomer at some point and it'd be quite a saving over the Canon 100-400mm.