ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sigma 24-70 F2.8 on a crop?

Anyone used one on a crop sensor? I intend to get a 70-200 Siggy f2.8 in the future but looking at something for the lower range.

I barely shoot wide so that will not be the problem. I know it uses larger filters, but anyone had experiance of this lens?

Want a fast zoom, and a constant f2.8 is ideal.

I had the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 and I know the sigma is very similar in quality

It's a lovely lens but I found the range a bit too long for a crop body.
If you never need the wideness then it's pretty good.
I ended up selling and getting the 17-40 f4L but I got annoyed at not being able to go to a wider aperture :(

If it's canon you're shooting with have a look at the 17-55mm f2.8 - it's very similar image quality but wider.

I do love my pentax though!! Think I might try the Siggy. It's a lot cheaper than the Pentax variety by a fair bit.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
They're supposed to be okay, the sharpness is supposed to be a bit sloppy, I'd look at the aforementioned 17-55 f2.8 or the Tamron 24-70 F2.8

The newer version is meant to have even better IQ. Would go nicely with a 10-20 and 70-200!!

Pretty sure I can get used to its size and 82mm filter!

Also as mentioned, the Tamron 28-75 has some great reviews. Smaller and lighter too. Think I need to go test them all!!!

I have the 24-70 2.8 and again love it .........

so i don't pop up in any other threads saying yeah got that one ...my set are

d7000
F2.8 70-200 Nikon
1.7x Nikon teleconverter
F2.8 24-70 Sigma
F3.5 10-20 Sigma (another reason i went for the 3.5 as apposed to the 4-5.6 is the filter size is the same as the 24-70)
and i have a D40x so i tend to maybe throw the 24-70 or the 10-20 on it if shooting stuff with the 70-200 as it means i can just grab them if something comes up i need it for without mucking about .