ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sigma Rocket Launcher

LY 182 FF CUPPED
we are getting a couple of them at work this year.
more kit to carry!!!!!!!!
think that's expensive?
we have 8 nikon 2000mm lenses @ 45k each!

Revels Mum & Sister
we are getting a couple of them at work this year.
more kit to carry!!!!!!!!
think that's expensive?
we have 8 nikon 2000mm lenses @ 45k each!

I offer you 300 pounds REAL CASH MONIES for one ;)

That is a big lens. As is the Nikon one Planet X mentions

what does it do, just a really long telephoto?

the lense needs its own tripod! lol

It zooms from 200-500 whilst maintaining f/2.8 = sh*t loads of glass. So with a 2X tele converter is a 400-1000 f/5.6.

It's also acts as a giant bill board for Sigma...

LY 182 FF CUPPED
work for MOD
we looked at the zeis 1700m f4...........this is big puts the sigma to shame and thats a Blad on the rear
stl_side_med.jpg

ZEISS 5000mm !!!!
zeiss1.jpg

And this is the NIKON 2000mm we have at work.....they very very very heavy.
2000mmreflexside.jpg

Last edited:
You probably can't tell me, but what the hell do they use them for?! I can't figure out where the Sigma 200-500 would have any practical use!

LY 182 FF CUPPED
Can't say too much on here your right, but we use them every single day.
Afghan, Iraq etc
If you can take pics out of range of an AK47.......all the better.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
just spoke to my boss and we have 10 of thos sigma 200 - 500 mm on order in order to ditch the nikons.
Full report to follow.
message for Tony........I think he is in Bradford, running a corner shop

I'm glad someone spotted this, cos lets face it, its bit like the R8 of lenses, amazing but feck all ppl will bother to own it..

Off topic a bit, but the R8 waiting list is longer than the queue for most trains these days. Over 1000 people on the waiting list iirc in the UK, and they can only give us 750 each year.

Now that I'm sober I'll try and come up with a better analogy lol :quiet:

Mr2 Roadster
All Sigma lens are naff compaired to the Canon equivalents.

I've owned and used most Sigma lens and I'd never buy another one, ever!

All Sigma lens are naff compaired to the Canon equivalents.

I've owned and used most Sigma lens and I'd never buy another one, ever!

imo they offer a good balance of quality and cost. Give somebody a £600 Sigma 70-200 2.8 and a £1200 Canon 70-200 2.8 and most people wouldn't see any difference, let alone a £600 difference.

Considering nearly all of us here shoot with sub £1000 DSLRs I think Sigma offer an extremely good way into higher-end equipment.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
We have scientists who check for things like lenses resolving/distortion etc etc.
in fact they say the sigma APO lenses are very good.
but in the realworld we are all dictated by wonga

Cupra
^^Sounds like you have a really interesting job! I know you can't say much about it but it would still be great to know all the details. :clown:

LY 182 FF CUPPED
the job is good.
but the fact I will soon have to hang the Clio keys up for a few months and run around Afghan with a D3 around my neck can be depressing!
sounds fun but it aint

A red missile
What they dont tell you about that lens is that it needs its own power supply! you have to have a huge battery pack on a webbing around your waist to make the damn thing work, according to Andy Rouse that lens doesn't even use their best glass and its autofocus is slow so even if i could afford it (which I cant) I wouldn't give it the time of day.

Canon L series FTW!!

On a battle field I'd much rather have a 600 F4 IS or 800 f/5.6 IS and TC's than lug that thing around with a battery strapped to myself!