ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sign one of the High Def petitions! - Save HD-DVD or kill it!

A4 Avant
I'd rather the war stays until the stand alone players come down to a reasonable price. Choice is good.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Its basically a poll isn't it? it'll have no influence on which one is killed off.

we dont want hd-dvd to die as a format all together imho its the better format for pc use data backup etc

but for film who knows

you can buy a hd-dvd player for £117 stand alone also does 1080p with 7 films

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i have been thinking about getting one of those on the basis that it will be a good dvd upscaler regardless of what format wins.... hmm.

EDIT: Also there are only 6695 signatures to kill HDDVD and 17595 or something (can't quite remember) to save it!

Last edited:
my thoughts exactly cheapest bluray player is 229 on amazon for a sharp
259 for a sony or samsung going all teh way to just under 1k !

SLK 350
I just don't see £250 with 6 BD movies as being expensive, I agree that ultimately competition can only lead to the consumer benefitting but I think we're past that now, I think the war is completely hindering progress of HD media and due to this prices are remaining artifically high.

If everybody gets on board the same format it will reduce the production costs of both media and hardware due to more demand driving the market, then you start to see new manufacturers and once the Taiwanese get onto it we'll have £100 BD players within 12 months.

So what's the point I'm missing?

Oh and before you all moan:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature....pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=164812691&pf_rd_i=4085971

but we already have £100 hd dvd players and walmart were floging them for £50 just before xmas

as for staying artificially high i dont beleive that except for maybe bluray but even in both camps prices have fallen faster than dvd did

SLK 350
You don't have £99 players, you have £120 players. Who cares what Walmart did on some promotion, they didn't even seem to have any real stock of them either. Don't compare something the US were offering with our market, it's like comparing our petrol price with theirs...doesn't wash.

As for pricing well in my view both HD-DVD/BD movies at £20 a pop is artificially high, walk into HMV and you'll see both formats with media ranging from £19.99-£24.99 which is too much for the average Joe over a DVD copy costing £9.99 or less.

My point is they need to start shifting more units (media) in order to decrease production run costs and thus offering lower store prices to entice the huge percentage of people who are still so confused by the matter that they won't adopt a technology we all want to move to.

My rents are going to the states next month, I have requested they purchase me an 80gb PS3, quite how they will transport it back is another thing :(

when dvd's first came out how much did they cost ? the same as bluray and hd dvd infact i remember paying 29.99 for a dvd when they first came out i had my first dvd player back in 1999

if you want cheap media the net is your friend always has been always will be

the prices of media will come down but it wont be as cheap as dvd is untill dvd is in the same situation as vhs is now and thats not going to happen soon it doesnt offer enough of an upgrade from dvd for 99% of average users

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
My rents are going to the states next month, I have requested they purchase me an 80gb PS3, quite how they will transport it back is another thing :(

remember if you buy bul-ray discs in this country they'll be region encoded... won't work on your US ps3

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh, think you can get region free ones anyway.

I think the games are region free but i could be wrong, check it out before you make the purchase.

visualize whirled pe
Good god, it's beta versus vhs all over again.... :)

Trouble is any fan boy can vote for their format on that site. What I want to know is will I still be able to play dvd's, can both players still play dvd's?

What is the difference between them anyway, please not the techy stuff, but stuff would you actually notice watching the film on a hd tv?
Are the players built in to a ps3 and 360 as good as the ones you buy off the shelf as a stand alone player?

I think I'm just going to sit under a rock with this one untill I walk into blockbuster one day and find there is no point renting as I cant play the 'new' format.