ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Singing in the rain, Bedford autodrome

172 Race Car
Went to Bedford on Monday afternoon with Tony Hunter, to give my car its first track outing of the year. It was the first time we had driven the full GT layout and i rather like it.

It was dry when we arrived and we started to play with the damper settings. (Swapped to AST's over the winter) We didnt finish getting the car how we wanted it before the heavens opened. Tony sent me out on my own to see how it was. I took things steady at first seeing as we were on R888's But the car currently has too much rear brake bias meaning that if you didnt brake in an absolute straight line the back end tried to overtake you. It had me off twice in the wet and Tony very skillfully caught a massive sideways moment in the braking zone for turn 1 in the dry.

Here is the results of my big spin, narrowly avoided the barrier. Thats actually the pit access road I ended up on, miles from the track. Wet grass dont slow you down much :eek:

IMAGE_309.jpg

Learing from my mistakes and after Tony had had a go I kept it on the black stuff later.

There was all manner of exotic and potent machinery there but surprisingly NOTHING overtook us all day. I enjoyed trying to hang on to the back of an old skool 911 for a few laps.

Gained alot more confidence with track driving but there is still much room for improvement from both me and the car.

So here are some vids I shot, tried a different camera position and im quite happy with the footage, the sound is very crap so sorry for that but its just a setting on the camera that needs changing. Next time they will be better.

IMAGE_306.jpg

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jGrY6hGQDIc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jGrY6hGQDIc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5aLF3BdcCak&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5aLF3BdcCak&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
looks like a pretty good day and circuit, hoping to get this one booked up for next month.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
looks like a pretty good day and circuit, hoping to get this one booked up for next month.
GT circuit? When? Hopefully should have the new suspension on by then, not done the full GT circuit, only the SW.

172 Race Car
The extra bit of circuit is abit technical with some tight corners but a good challenge. the bit you miss out from the southwest is just the stuff between the straights. All left handers iirc.

Some say the place is flat and fetureless but i really like the good mix of corners

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've found it gets boring quickly, which is why I've only ever done half days/evenings there.

172 Race Car
I've found it gets boring quickly, which is why I've only ever done half days/evenings there.

The afternoon was great for us, there was an option to do the full day and there were so many cars there but I think they had all had enough or run out of tyres/fuel/brakes coz the circuit was fairly empty. loads of people went home around 3:30-4pm

172 Race Car
Looks a handful in the wet!
too much rear brake bias, R888's with 1.6mm tread (they do work), partly flooded track in places and dampers still on the settings we were using in the dry.

Great fun tbh. Some of the slides were on purpose ;)

182cup & 172 racecar
Looks a handful in the wet!

It wasn't that bad really considering the set up we had,if we drove it carefully it would get round quite well,but's thats not we went there for.

It was to push it to the limit and beyond to find any weaknesses and to sort out anything that needed changing,but rain stopped play really,so FUN time:D

172 Race Car
It was to push it to the limit and beyond to find any weaknesses and to sort out anything that needed changing,but rain stopped play really,so FUN time:D
Couldnt of put it better myself. I was actually surprised how much grip we had in the wet considering we didnt soften the suspension at all and we were on R888's witch will 'kill you' in the wet if you believe the shite written on here sometimes

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
R888's are fine in the wet, as long as you get the temp into them and there's no standing water.

172 Race Car
R888's are fine in the wet, as long as you get the temp into them and there's no standing water.
Yea if you see the video as we get to the corner by the pit entry there was a small lake forming, that was interesting. But on the whole im very pleased with how the tyres manged the whole day. Wont be using road tyres on track again

Swift Sport
Good stuff, gotta get some decent tyres and a camera for next time. I was having a few sideways moments of my own, mine were intentional though lol. Was having great fun playing with lift-off oversteer on the last righthander before the pit straight!

Swift Sport
Damn right, had great fun pushing 'faster cars' out the way... My car was all over the place though due to the worn-out Contis! lol.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Damn right, had great fun pushing 'faster cars' out the way... My car was all over the place though due to the worn-out Contis! lol.
At least you've got a new car, in an old heap people do not want to get out of the way.
Steve's running the RS2's on his 197cup, rates them highly.

How much!!?

I know photographers make a killing at events like that, but I didnt know they charged that much!

I'll do some shots of yours for £10 Jay? ;) :rasp:

182cup & 172 racecar
how was the suspension Tony/Burp?

Difficult to say really,understeered a bit stiffened the back a few clicks was abit better but then it chucked it down.Still far too much rear brakes even with the balance bar fully out/in,possibly needs a cup rear valve,any thoughts?

172 Race Car
how was the suspension Tony/Burp?
As Tony said the biggest problem was the brakes. Ive been advised by several people now to have the shocks on full stiff on the rear and about 6-8 clicks on the front. Will be trying this on Saturday at Mallory Park if its dry

172 Race Car
full soft on the front more like!

might be needing a bias valve, you still got ABS?
abs has been binned. got a bias valve but still got too much on the rear even on the minimum. ive got some better front pads to go in now so that should help a little