ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky+ Box

A4 Avant
I think they were there to allow future upgrades to firmware and the like. Nothing ever came of them I don't think and they never got removed from the design.

500bhp Scoob
Its for future use...

Same with the e-sata connection on the back of the Sky HD Box...

I know with the HD box, only 160gb of the hd is used... some of the staff are currently beta testing the new firmware which utilises all 300gb of it, for even more recording :D

USB functionality on the sky+ and hd boxes would be handy for us engineers who have to swap boxes out, could save the settings onto a usb memory stick, put it into the new box and voila, all the users settings are transfered, including favorite channels etc.

Astra CDTI SRI
I heard a rumor that Sky were going to start giving out sky + boxes as standard soon, doing away with the original digi box.

Anyone else heard this?

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
on the hd bow i heard for int he future it can be connected to a portable device to download content to, to watch on the go

500bhp Scoob
Not heard anything about that from inside info...

Theres a big demand on the normal boxes due to the current "See speak surf" offer for £26

So I can't see them doing away with it just yet, cheaper to make the normal ones too obviously :)

Connectivity between portable devices hasn't been mentioned at all, its a bit of a touch and go area due to copyright etc etc.

Remember the HD box is just a glorified sky+ box with a better processor to output higher resolutions.
(Why do you think they pulled the Sky+ 160 from circulation.... cos the HD box has 160gb of storage... its a marketing ploy, they could've used all 300gb from the hd box, but it gives them a cheaper upgrade route, instead of dishing out new boxes)

Last edited:
  Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Mole - forgot to say mate, I've got a Sky engineer to come and fix mine tomorrow! Hurrah. Finally! :D

Shame we can't use 300Gb. I've got through 100GB in no time!

500bhp Scoob
Nice one, about time too.

One of the engineers got the sack today, selling boxes on the side, stupid idiot lol.

I've got 1 of the Sky HD hard disks in my PC, they're maxtor drives, designed for AV purposes, works great for running windows off of, very fast transfer rates :D

Give it a couple of months and the firmware should be released to the public to use the leftover space :) it'll be used for VOD aswell. unsure of exactly how its going to work, but thats what we've all been told at the recent team meeting