ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky HD... or HD in general

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
As more and more channels are becoming HD, I was wondering if its worth the upgrade from normal Sky+?

Could the guys with HD boxes tell me if there is a noticeable improvement over standard definition? I've seen the adverts et al, but surely to visualise it better you'd need a HD box, as the advert clearly wont cut it?

High Definition. Good or Meh?

Tesla MP3 2021
IMO its well worth it. The sports in HD are awesome so I would get HD just for that.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Well the ad isn't being displayed in HD on your tv so in reality its a heck of a lot better. If you can warrant the £300 then i say get it, when theres a few more channels you won't be dissapointed.
Busy working then ;)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Thats what I was thinking. I honestly cant imagine what it would look like though. I mean, normal TV and sports is spot on. So improving on what I think is spot on anyway is beyond me. I really need to see it in action TBH.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Well the ad isn't being displayed in HD on your tv so in reality its a heck of a lot better. If you can warrant the £300 then i say get it, when theres a few more channels you won't be dissapointed.
Busy working then ;)

As always. Got my car service today so leaving early. Laptop FTW.

Yeah I've seen them being displayed in Currys etc, but I suppose you need to witness it in your own home. Hmm.
Can you not get cheaper boxes on Ebay etc, then just pay the sub fee? Or probably worth getting the full kosha package?

Evo 6, E92 320d
If you can save yourself a few bob and still get the full waranty then do that, i've seen them on there for £200 up. Have you not seen any blu-rays played on a ps3? The picture is on par with those, not quite as good i think but not really noticeable.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
No mate. Dont have a PS3, but have heard of this Blu-ray and how its going to wipe out DVD etc... lol.

May have to research further. I do like my gadgets and features :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what I was thinking. I honestly cant imagine what it would look like though. I mean, normal TV and sports is spot on. So improving on what I think is spot on anyway is beyond me. I really need to see it in action TBH.

It's like night and day to me Scutch.

Especially sport/football - when I'm at Fratton Park and the camera pans past where I sit, I can see a blob that's me, but I only know it's me because that's where I sit. If I switch to the HD channel, I can recognise and pick myself out of the crowd.

Two more channels added recently, Sky Premiere and Sky Sports 3 - Channel 4 was a recent addition too so they're all waking up to it.

Worth it for the increase on Sky+ storage capacity as well.

When Roos Kemp in Afghanistan was on I found myself standing nearer and nearer the screen looking for some fault in the image composition. Couldn't see one. Made watching that spine-tingling at times.

Lee

BMW M2C
It's the absolute b****cks. Well worth it, especially now channel 4 is in HD, even though some of the programs are only up scaled.

Even upscaled DVDs on the PS3 look great.

Ross Kemp in Afganistan did look truly amazing. I've still got the Top Gear Polar episode saved in my HD box, as that really shows off my Plasma.

Hopefully the Formula 1 will be broadcast in HD once the BBC get it back.

1.2 16v Dynamique

I thought that until I went round the finacees rents and watched the footie on Sky Sports HD, the picture quality is immense as it is on all the other channels, things like National Geographic channels and just the general picture quality is so much better, if our landlady would let us put a dish up we'd have HD for sure....

Last edited:
  cock mobile.
Surely it depends on the telly you have as well?

I suppose if you have the top of the line 1080p telly it's the dogs, but me being a mere mortal I don't have such a high tech telly lol.

Any why is it when you go into places to look at this HD content they NEVER have anything to show you?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

I suppose if you have the top of the line 1080p telly it's the dogs, but me being a mere mortal I don't have such a high tech telly lol.

Any why is it when you go into places to look at this HD content they NEVER have anything to show you?

You'd think that, but...

I started off with a Panasonic plasma 1080i which thanks to some dead lines of pixels I exchanged for a Toshiba 1080p LCD.

Ignoring the richer blacks of the plasma, on image quality and detail alone, there was very little to seperate the two in my eyes.

Nippy white cup
I really want to get HD but I'm waiting to see if the prices come down. I have been with them for 6 years paying £40+ a month and they came out with a loyalty price...about £250 for the box instread of £300 lol. Robbing b******s.

When we eventually move house I might get sky broadband and hd etc in a package but for now they can piss right off :(

Chris

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
The guy who put my Sky+ in November said to wait for a year as it wasn't worth it yet :S

172, Tiguan
Watched it at my parents and was amazed, its truely awesome. It gauls me to give Sky any more money though!

cock mobile.

You'd think that, but...

I started off with a Panasonic plasma 1080i which thanks to some dead lines of pixels I exchanged for a Toshiba 1080p LCD.

Ignoring the richer blacks of the plasma, on image quality and detail alone, there was very little to seperate the two in my eyes.

Hmmmmm really need to see this in action myself to see what the fuss is about :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I have a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma. TH42 something or other. It was one of the best rated anyway when we bought it last year.

Hopefully that should be up to the job of HD.

I honestly dont understand all the 480i and 720p b****cks. My Xbox360 is on 720 anyway. 1080i is available but I was told p was better. Hmm.

Lee

BMW M2C
I have a Panasonic Viera 42" plasma. TH42 something or other. It was one of the best rated anyway when we bought it last year.

I honestly dont understand all the 480i and 720p b****cks. My Xbox360 is on 720 anyway. 1080i is available but I was told p was better. Hmm.

Sounds like the same one I have. I've had mine 12 months now. It will look amazing on it. Well worth getting HD with a screen like that.

The Colour of Magic on Sky 1 at Easter looked stunning.

Nippy white cup

To give you an idea download some vids of market place. There are loads of movie trailers (I got Ice Age 2 clip of it ages ago and it is still one of the best quality clips to show off the TV) that are worth getting

Chris

A4 Avant
I've had sky HD for a couple of weeks and it's definately worth it! I'm only watching it on a 22" LCD but the difference between skysports HD and SD is amazing. You can make out the player names on shirts easier, there seems to be less motion blur and everything just looks that much crisper. I even started watching the golf the other day because it looked so good.

I got the box for £200 as an existing customer, they wouldn't budge on the £50 installation fee though. But I got them to fit a new dish for me so it's not that bad.

Can't wait to get a plasma now.

none :(
i have a hdtv (1080p) and i want to get sky hd as i only have to standard box in my room.

do i take the plunge lol

RIP Dan
I want HD, here is what im am goin got do:

Phone up and ask to cancel.

Wait until they ask why and moan about the rubbish service, 4-5 Sky boxes i have had yada yada.

Manager will come on and hopefully do a deal.

If not i WILL cancel and go on Freeview for the summer, its £20 for the card and i watch less tv now the evenings are lighter etc.

When i do it i will post what happens, we done it when we went from Sky to Sky+, paid a pittence to get it installed and got 3 months half price.

Try it Scutch me boy, but be prepared to cancel.

172 Cup

Wait until they ask why and moan about the rubbish service, 4-5 Sky boxes i have had yada yada.

If not i WILL cancel and go on Freeview for the summer, its £20 for the card and i watch less tv now the evenings are lighter etc.

When i do it i will post what happens, we done it when we went from Sky to Sky+, paid a pittence to get it installed and got 3 months half price.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

Exactly. Bye Bye Sky I think for you :p

RIP Dan
Really?

iirc Sky+ was around £150 for the box and £100 installation a few years ago.

Got the lot for £59.

Have they changed their policy?

Because i know a few people who done exactly what i did.

Have you had experience?

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I phoned up to cancel Sky+ and they offered a Sky+ box for £149 + £30 inst. fee, bartered them down to £0 for the box and £0 for the install, but when I said "OK take that £180 off a Sky HD box" they wouldn't give me even a penny off that.

172 Cup
Really?

iirc Sky+ was around £150 for the box and £100 installation a few years ago.

Got the lot for £59.

Have they changed their policy?

Because i know a few people who done exactly what i did.

Have you had experience?

Sky HD is their premium product. While they may give you discounts on other Sky products you'll get nowhere trying to haggle or threats of cancellation with Sky HD.

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
They're really standing their ground on HD. They won't discount it at all.

I've been with Sky 17 years and they wouldn't give me a penny off the box. They did however move it from one house to another, and supply a new dish free of charge. Even Sky staff don't get a good deal on HD.

Nippy white cup
I knew someone who rang sky and said they wanted to cancel. When asked why they just said their husband was possibly being made redundant. She got 3 months half price. I did the same and got it as well. My other m8 at work did it and it got cancelled lol

Chris

I knew someone who rang sky and said they wanted to cancel. When asked why they just said their husband was possibly being made redundant. She got 3 months half price. I did the same and got it as well. My other m8 at work did it and it got cancelled lol

Chris

3 months half price "rental" is different to a half price Sky HD box.. :)

Nippy white cup

Chris

3 months half price "rental" is different to a half price Sky HD box.. :)

Lol yes I know..thought the topic had gone onto people getting cheap boxes and rental

Chris

VaVa
I got a new LNB for nowt by threatening to cancel... but I've tried to barter for HD and they're having none of it. Been with them 10 years FFS lol