ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky HD

Clio 1.2 16V tomtom 3dr
whats it like ?

IVe got a sky + box in one room and a sky box in another room.

If i got sky HD and replaced my existing sky standard box with the sky + box i own, would I b charged for sky hd and sky plus ?

cheers

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's £10 extra per month for the HD subscription. The box is another £100, one-off fee.

I upgraded a few months ago, mainly for the movies.

There are lots of special deals on Sky.com, so check it first.

Megane R26
As above, very good tbh.

The box is £49 now though I believe.

Shame that you get mixed channels, depending on which HD provider you go with. PITA.

VaVa
I bought one for £75. lol.

Still good though. But Still think they should have fitted a bigger HDD in the HD boxes!

A4 Avant
£29 is a great price, think I paid £150 for mine just over a year ago. HD pictures are brilliant, massive difference to SD.

My only gripe is that as of today I'll be on my 3rd HD box. Have to wait and see if this one is any better.

VaVa
True ^

The football is what really stands out. I commented to my missus and her mate that difference was "like night and day" lol.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Sky fella in Morrisons offered me HD for £49, then for free! I'm too happy with my Freesat tho to start giving Sky money each month again, was tempted tho.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
£29 in comet plus £30 install fee, we were going to go for that until the install fee appeared on the computer screen, so we went for the £49 package deal free fitting as sky advertise.

Z4
£29 in comet plus £30 install fee, we were going to go for that until the install fee appeared on the computer screen, so we went for the £49 package deal free fitting as sky advertise.

looking at the website:

'When you buy a HD ready TV, take the HD pack and join or stay with Sky TV for another year - existing Sky customers must take Sky Multiroom. Free standard set-up for new customers, or for existing customers taking Sky Multiroom (otherwise £30). Save £170 (was £199)'

So why would I need sky multiroom? I'm confused lol. And do you have to buy a tv with them for the offer?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ They try and sell you sky multiroom as thats an extra £10 a month on top of the basic price of the box / package .

I'm on skys books to have sky+ HD installed i'm an existing customer and they wouldn't waive the £30 installation fee .

I doubt you'll be able to install in yourself as they'll have to authorise your new SKY+HD box . If it was just a case of running a second co-ax cable and new twin output LNB everybody would be doing it lol .

Bascially , SKY have us by the short and curlies :(

VaVa
I wouldn't go without HD now, but then I had a REALLY old sky box before. I've noticed a marked improvement in the SD channels too.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
but I dont want that, I just want sky+hd. As an existing sky+ user, am i still entitled to the deal?

Well the deal is £49 for the box and £30 for installation , then whatever package you choose .

Arctic 182FF
I doubt you'll be able to install in yourself as they'll have to authorise your new SKY+HD box .

mate of mine didnt have any problems: he already had Sky+ so had the two dish feeds, bought a HD box off ebay switched them over then rang sky to tell them he had a new box they sorted the £10 HD subscription and job done.

also think this was mentioned in another thread but a new programme guide is on the way for HD boxes, just incase that sways anyones decision :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I doubt you'll be able to install in yourself as they'll have to authorise your new SKY+HD box . If it was just a case of running a second co-ax cable and new twin output LNB everybody would be doing it lol .

That is all you have to do. You can install it all yourself and then phone up and give them the serial number of the box and they'll authorise your card to allow the premium channels on the new box.

This is the route I went when sky wouldn't give me a discount on a box, so I bought a new hd box off ebay for considerably less than sky at the time and then ran the new cable, took maybe an hour.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
lol I know that, I'm talking about the comet deal!

Looking at Comets website , you have to purchase a HD ready tv to get the box at £29 also if your an exsisting customer you "have " to take the multiroom deal . It's a bit of a con if you ask me .

There's a 3 month ( approx ) waiting list for existing sky customers . It seems once sky have got their claws into you , you get disregarded compared to new customers :mad: .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
That is all you have to do. You can install it all yourself and then phone up and give them the serial number of the box and they'll authorise your card to allow the premium channels on the new box.

This is the route I went when sky wouldn't give me a discount on a box, so I bought a new hd box off ebay for considerably less than sky at the time and then ran the new cable, took maybe an hour.

Thanks for the info . Now to find a decent " New " Sky+HD box . All the ones i've seen on Ebay cost more than sky are offering at the minute :dapprove:

Setting it up's no problem , i just thought sky would frown upon a DIY installation as they are missing out on some coin .

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Thanks for the info . Now to find a decent " New " Sky+HD box . All the ones i've seen on Ebay cost more than sky are offering at the minute :dapprove:

Setting it up's no problem , i just thought sky would frown upon a DIY installation as they are missing out on some coin .

They will cost "more" because they're unsubsidised.

Skys offer of £79 for existing customers without taking the multiroom option is a good deal imo.

They don't care, they can't stop you from installing/replacing a new box as an existing customer. It literally takes a 2 minute phone call where you give them the new serial number of the new box, they don't say a word and tell you that your card will be activated in the next 24 hours.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
They will cost "more" because they're unsubsidised.

Skys offer of £79 for existing customers without taking the multiroom option is a good deal imo.

They don't care, they can't stop you from installing/replacing a new box as an existing customer. It literally takes a 2 minute phone call where you give them the new serial number of the new box, they don't say a word and tell you that your card will be activated in the next 24 hours.

All sorted now . Local Satellite / tv shop is coming in the morning to fit it for £79 :) I'm not waiting 3 months for Sky to come and sort it out :dapprove:

Revels Mum & Sister
^^^ They try and sell you sky multiroom as thats an extra £10 a month on top of the basic price of the box / package .

I'm on skys books to have sky+ HD installed i'm an existing customer and they wouldn't waive the £30 installation fee .

You can do it yourself! Run a second Coax cable, then you need to Pair the card with the new HD box by ringing Sky and getting the HD package added. It is very simple. I did this with a Sky HD box I bought elsewhere!

Plenty of guides to do so!