ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky VS Virginmedia what you got?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
So we currently have sky but where we are moving to has virgin 'plumbed' in.
we currently pay £75 a month which includes broadband/skyHD/sky movies/line rental/entertainment extra.

Im not thrilled by the service we get but have always just used sky as it's there. As Virgin is already at our new place, I thought I'd give it a chance and look into it.

So what packages have you got and who with?
our other option is to just get phone and broadband and maybe get one of these new tv box things.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Virgin BB, TiVo and phone. Can't remember what package it is, but it's £35 a month. Think it might be M+.

The BB is decent, although it doesn't like YT.

TiVo is utterly, completely and absolutely terrible. On every level it's diabolical. The interface is clunky and slow.

It's a completely infuriating experience, that is made marginally better by the app, but through the remote is f**king dire.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Tivo has updated in the last few weeks.. it's about 50% less infuriating but I can just about get on with it.

Sky wins 110% on everything else though - interface wise.

PM Prong .. Rich.. there was a deal going on a while back...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I'm with BT BB at £15 a month and have NowTV Movies+Entertainment (which is powered by Sky) which cost £13 a month + Netflix + Lovefilm. Provided your internet speeds are ok, it works a treat :)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Tivo has updated in the last few weeks.. it's about 50% less infuriating but I can just about get on with it.

Sky wins 110% on everything else though - interface wise.

PM Prong .. Rich.. there was a deal going on a while back...

Is anything needed to do the update? Does it is it automatically?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'm going against the grain here. I think TiVo is far better to use than the Sky interface. The app for Sky is well below par as well. IMO anyway.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going against the grain here. I think TiVo is far better to use than the Sky interface. The app for Sky is well below par as well. IMO anyway.

You're very wrong, lol.

TiVo lags about 90 seconds behind the presses.

Also, it's infuriating trying to find anything on the menus.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
You're very wrong, lol.

TiVo lags about 90 seconds behind the presses.

Also, it's infuriating trying to find anything on the menus.

I've had both. I'm standing by my comments.

If your TiVo is actually lagging by 90 seconds then the box is faulty.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Just went with virgin. £67/month for the above package and £100 credit with second box etc.
will give it a go. Just seems a much better package and they can get it all done on Saturday as opposed to me having to wait til the following week.

will report back. Seems like samsung/apple all over again :(

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Big mistake, Tivo is sh*te, I'm counting down the months till I can move back to Sky.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Big mistake, Tivo is sh*te, I'm counting down the months till I can move back to Sky.
Lol. I don't even know what TiVo is.
its more about the internet and the overall ease/package. It has all the channels we watch on sky so won't miss anything.

dk

911 GTS Cab
so you've gone with the product when you don't even know the product is tivo, good research!

you don't watch all the F1 races in HD then?

I'll await the Tivo is s**t, its so slow to react compared to my sky box thread, wish i'd have waited the extra few days now that I'm stuck in an 18 month contract.....

SQ5
Its crap?

Just checked £4 isn't too bad if you have sky sports. I always thought it was more.

Sky movies have a massive selection of films, it's worth the money! Netflix in comparison is terrible at half the price.

DB.

BMW 440i
Virgin for me. Quite lie the fact it doesn't cut out when there is a bit of bad weather like Sky often does. Fairly sure that happened to some on here recently!

Virgin owns the internet, and still offers pretty much all the same channels as Sky. Sky has a better interface though, but once your that used to the Virign interface, I'll take that and good internet!

DB.

BMW 440i
Sky movies have a massive selection of films, it's worth the money! Netflix in comparison is terrible at half the price.

It's been disappointing the past few days, far too repetitive. I just make sure I record any good ones when I see them on (In HD), so that I can watch them when I fancy watching a few films!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Virgin for me. Quite lie the fact it doesn't cut out when there is a bit of bad weather like Sky often does. Fairly sure that happened to some on here recently!

Virgin owns the internet, and still offers pretty much all the same channels as Sky. Sky has a better interface though, but once your that used to the Virign interface, I'll take that and good internet!
sky has more channels than virgin, more HD channels too, i only watch HD these days, and I've never in 5 years had my sky cut out for any weather.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
so you've gone with the product when you don't even know the product is tivo, good research!

you don't watch all the F1 races in HD then?

I'll await the Tivo is s**t, its so slow to react compared to my sky box thread, wish i'd have waited the extra few days now that I'm stuck in an 18 month contract.....
It's tv FFS. I'm sure it will suit us fine. We don't watch much tv and I have only had time to watch one F1 race this year so not fussed about that.

recording 3 programs whilst watching another is awesome, as is getting a second box for the bedroom so if we get the chance we can watch tv in bed.

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's tv FFS. I'm sure it will suit us fine. We don't watch much tv and I have only had time to watch one F1 race this year so not fussed about that.

recording 3 programs whilst watching another is awesome, as is getting a second box for the bedroom so if we get the chance we can watch tv in bed.
erm, so you don't watch much tv but want the ability to record 3 programmes at once, makes sense tbh.

sky has so much catchup stuff that even if there were 3 things on at once you'd just be able to download the one you couldn't record afterwards or catch it on one of the many repeat showings.

Having a GUI that is slow is a s bad as it gets though, its worse than a badly designed GUI.

Imagine having to wait 30 seconds every time you pressed the accelerator in your car for it to react...... ;)

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
My mun and dad have virgin and when i go round there i get stressed out with 1 minute of using there tivo. Its soooo frikin slow.

dk

911 GTS Cab
everybody keeps going on about that channel, what are the good programs that I'm missing?
too many to list, but if you wanted a couple then boardwalk empire, game of thrones, ray donovan, house of lies, newsroom, banshee, hello ladies, blue bloods, the following......

DB.

BMW 440i
sky has more channels than virgin, more HD channels too, i only watch HD these days, and I've never in 5 years had my sky cut out for any weather.

Since buying a new Samsung 55" top spec tv, the need for HD channels is higher than ever, it just looks too good!

I've just gone through all the channels and don't have Sky Atlantic. We have the top of the range package so I'm assuming it just isn't included :(

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
erm, so you don't watch much tv but want the ability to record 3 programmes at once, makes sense tbh.

sky has so much catchup stuff that even if there were 3 things on at once you'd just be able to download the one you couldn't record afterwards or catch it on one of the many repeat showings.

Having a GUI that is slow is a s bad as it gets though, its worse than a badly designed GUI.

Imagine having to wait 30 seconds every time you pressed the accelerator in your car for it to react...... ;)
Mine just doesn't react :(

as as for the 3+1 thing. We will hardly use it but it's quite a cool feature. We mainly have programs recording at night so say Thursday evening, we could have eastenders, I'm a celeb and arrow (if it was on on Thursdays) and I could watch baby tv whilst they are recording.
lol

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
As DK says. Banshee, boardwalk empire, ray donovan, newsroom, hello ladies and game of thrones are some of the best series ever to be on TV.

ALL of my favourite shows are on that channel.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
too many to list, but if you wanted a couple then boardwalk empire, game of thrones, ray donovan, house of lies, newsroom, banshee, hello ladies, blue bloods, the following......
I've heard of game of thrones but never watched it. I would probably like all the others but I'll be 50 before I watched them all.

iirc from my 1 hour of research, sky have a 2 year rights deal for sky Atlantic so it will be about mid 2014 before virgin could get it.