ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sky VS Virginmedia what you got?

SQ5
It's been disappointing the past few days, far too repetitive. I just make sure I record any good ones when I see them on (In HD), so that I can watch them when I fancy watching a few films!

Same as me, every Friday I check the latest films. Every couple of weeks there is a good one. Plus I have loads saved too.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Rich, seriously, if you are in a position to still be able to cancel I would recommend you do so. Tivo is terrible, I am not just a keyboard warrior but someone who had Sky for a number of years and currently has Tivo. The ability to record 3 things at once quickly goes out of the window as Tivo has a mind of its own and despite you being able to setup programs so that they only record the latest series, what you actually end up with is the box recording EVERY showing of that series (so if it is repeated during the week you end up with those recordings also) and it will still record old showings, couple that with the fact the box records it's own recommendations and you find it is quite often recording at least one thing you didn't ask it to.

As others have said (and I've said it before) the interface is unintuative, slow, clunky and just to do simple things like delete a recording is multiple button presses / windows and takes time, Sky? One button press and takes a second to do so. I tend to use the iPad for managing my recordings because it would simply take too long and annoy me on the Tivo. The good thing about Virgin is the broadband, but that's it. As said I'm waiting to go back to Sky, their boxes are leagues ahead.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Not too positive going off the comments in here, afaik, the flat I'm moving into has to be virgin as you can't have a sky dish or something.

Then again there's more to life than a TV, right now I'm using freeview, perfectly happy with that tbh. Some people on here would have you believe a tv is the be all and end all going by this thread.

I'm a new VM subscriber, having used Sky at my parents house for ages.

I will admit Tivo is a bit clunky and I do prefer Sky's interface. But I'm not a big TV watcher anyway, which is why I went with the highest spec internet and stream quite a lot.

My 100mb (which is now 120mb) has performed faultlessly.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The TiVo interface is awful. It's unintuitive, it's slow, it's riddled with many options that require a double click (nested menus) for no apparent reason.

Have I mentioned it's slow?

However, the experience of it using it with the iPad app is just brilliant, it's how it should be on the box. If they actually put some decent hardware in there then it'd be a completely different story, however, they haven't and consequently the box is a seriously underpowered POS.

Oh and it's slow.

(However, we get 120Mb Broadband, phone, loads of TV channels for about 70 quid a month)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
The TiVo interface is awful. It's unintuitive, it's slow, it's riddled with many options that require a double click (nested menus) for no apparent reason.

Have I mentioned it's slow?

However, the experience of it using it with the iPad app is just brilliant, it's how it should be on the box. If they actually put some decent hardware in there then it'd be a completely different story, however, they haven't and consequently the box is a seriously underpowered POS.

Oh and it's slow.

(However, we get 120Mb Broadband, phone, loads of TV channels for about 70 quid a month)

Mine was also like this but after last weeks upgrade its sound now 100% better !!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'm genuinely not getting what's unintuitive about it. I do know some boxes appear to be slow (seen vids on YT) but I can't say I - or my parents - have ever been confused by how to perform a task on it.

Perhaps it's just those who had Sky first prefer that and those who had TiVo first prefer that.

I look forward to being told I'm wrong again though ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'm genuinely not getting what's unintuitive about it. I do know some boxes appear to be slow (seen vids on YT) but I can't say I - or my parents - have ever been confused by how to perform a task on it.

Perhaps it's just those who had Sky first prefer that and those who had TiVo first prefer that.

I look forward to being told I'm wrong again though ;)

Well...seeing as you asked nicely.

Playing a recording, want to jump forward 15 mins? Oh, I'll just press the "jump forward" button.

No. First you have to press Fast Forward, and then you can use the jump buttons.

Accidentally press a button and end up in a menu while watching a recording?

Just press TV to get back to playing program.

No.

Press the random zoom button on the remote.

Search and Browse -> "Search All TV"

Forget about it. Utterly useless.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
You push and hold the jump button. That'll then jump you to the next point in the status bar. I've no idea how you jump to a specific point though as I've never done it.

For getting back to your recording, what happens when you push 'back', to get back to where you were?

I'll point out now that I no longer have TiVo (it's not available where I live now) and it's been a while since I used it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You push and hold the jump button. That'll then jump you to the next point in the status bar. I've no idea how you jump to a specific point though as I've never done it.

There you go. Unintuative! :p

What's the point in having a jump button if you can't press it to jump, you have to hold it?

For getting back to your recording, what happens when you push 'back', to get back to where you were?

There is no back button.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
The jump button has two uses. Press once to jump 30 seconds and press and hold to jump to the next marker.

The back button is the skip back button (mine had back written under it). It's next to the stop button.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The jump button has two uses. Press once to jump 30 seconds and press and hold to jump to the next marker.

The back button is the skip back button (mine had back written under it). It's next to the stop button.

Holding jump takes me to the end of the recording. Useful.

Back scrolls backwards through the guide.

Its designed by imbeciles.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
They roll out updates in stages.

I bet you've only just got Netflix right?

Yes but the update is best tivo has EVER , Pobly be slow soon now ive said that just renewed and bagged a decent discount and superhub 2
!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I should have mentioned. A recording is split into 15 minute segments. If you're at 16 minutes on a 30 minute program then it will indeed jump to the end.

Like I said, I've not used one in months so I've forgotten much of it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I should have mentioned. A recording is split into 15 minute segments. If you're at 16 minutes on a 30 minute program then it will indeed jump to the end.

Like I said, I've not used one in months so I've forgotten much of it.

I was at the start! Jump took be right to the end of an hour recording.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yes but the update is best tivo has EVER , Pobly be slow soon now ive said that just renewed and bagged a decent discount and superhub 2
!

Sh2 is better than the sh1....I got mine for free anyway as I was one of the original testers.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Rich, seriously, if you are in a position to still be able to cancel I would recommend you do so. Tivo is terrible, I am not just a keyboard warrior but someone who had Sky for a number of years and currently has Tivo. The ability to record 3 things at once quickly goes out of the window as Tivo has a mind of its own and despite you being able to setup programs so that they only record the latest series, what you actually end up with is the box recording EVERY showing of that series (so if it is repeated during the week you end up with those recordings also) and it will still record old showings, couple that with the fact the box records it's own recommendations and you find it is quite often recording at least one thing you didn't ask it to.

As others have said (and I've said it before) the interface is unintuative, slow, clunky and just to do simple things like delete a recording is multiple button presses / windows and takes time, Sky? One button press and takes a second to do so. I tend to use the iPad for managing my recordings because it would simply take too long and annoy me on the Tivo. The good thing about Virgin is the broadband, but that's it. As said I'm waiting to go back to Sky, their boxes are leagues ahead.

You're doing something wrong then regarding the series record. Mine just records the latest episodes...

To delete is really very simple! Go into recording, highlight the program/group you want rid of and press clear.

I'm not sure why people find it difficult to use. Mine only seems a tad slower to react than sky did and my only gripe I have with it is it forgets that I set the channels to favorites all the time so had to put a macro on my remote for that.

Skoda Fabia vRS
No matter how bad TiVo is, I would never ever have sky broadband as its stupidly slow, its laughable

Were on VM and I had a download last night coming down at 6-7mb a second

SQ5
No matter how bad TiVo is, I would never ever have sky broadband as its stupidly slow, its laughable

Were on VM and I had a download last night coming down at 6-7mb a second

Depends on location. I get 4mb over 2-3 BT Customers get. My friend gets 8-10 where people only get 2-4 on BT

Mercedes
We have had both and when we moved in the new house I paid extra for fiber optic through the house.

Must say say the broadband and support are fantastic, however the tv is pants compared to sky. Still getting my head round it bug it's getting there slowly.

SQ5
The support at Sky is excellent. Usually English speaking (Scottish ;)) and pleasant yo deal with.

Our phone and broadband was cut off Thursday night for an unknown reason, spoke to them Friday morning and was given 72 working hours for it to be working. Woke up Saturday morning and it was on!

Tesla MP3 2021
My rents changed to VM before I moved out and I hated it for the few weeks I used it compared to Sky's TV service. The interface and EPG is not a patch on Sky IMO.

I do miss my 120Mb VM Broadband though :(

Chelsea tractor
I hate Virgin TV's interface with a passion. Unintuitive, slow and clunky. I still couldn't get used to it after 2 years so moved to Sky.

The thing is, I don't think it's actually the TiVo system itself (as my parents have a TiVo box abroad where they live, which is fine), just the Virgin Media UI.