ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight "chirp" on cold start?

Clio 172
I recently noticed a slight chirping sound coming from the mid left corner of the engine as looking at it from the front. It only seems to happen from a cold start and fades completely once the engine has warmed. Any ideas what it might be?

Cheers:)

Clio 172
LOL, reading fail.

I'm gonna guess at aux belt. Please note guess.

I've got it booked in for a check in the morn. I mentioned the symptoms over the phone and they said it might be the cam belt tensioner. If it turns out to be the aux belt though, any ideas how much (avg) it would cost to replace it?

Cheers:)

A ANIMAL
they wont be able to check the aux belt very well! you can hardly see the f**ker.

its about £200 to change - i wouldn't trust it with a standard garage though

Last edited:
  RS RIP
You should hear mine when it's cold :eek:

Been doing it for years ; fades away when warm so i'm not worried (anymore)

Clio 172
Just got a call from the garage. Apparantly the sound is coming from the alternator belt. £260 which includes fitting at the local Renault dealer. However...They also said that if I can live with the sound, just leave it as is. Which, given the price they quoted me, I probably will:)

Cheers.
J.