ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight Popping

Hey all!

Ive had my rt just over a month now, and am trying to figure out what is causing the exhaust to pop. The car is standard (atm :)) and when ticking over there is a very slight popping from the exhaust. Ive checked the plugs, replaced the leads etc. and everything seems fine. After replacing the leads the popping is still there but more regular. Is this unusual? I was thinking the popping shouldnt be there at all? But then after changing the leads i thought maybe it should and it is regular now as that what it should be like?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Dazz

Is your exhaust in good nick? If you think its a bit weird it could be a leak or break there, or worse something wrong with fuel injectors. Cant be definite though as im not as mechanically minded as BenR and the rest.

-Rob

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

dont worry mine pops all the time on de-accerleration now, actually sounds quite fun!

but he said it was at idle.

Is it a std exhaust...and is it actually popping or is it more of a pulsed sound?

it shouldnt really pop at idle.

no shoudltn pop on idle, 16v lumps may be a bit lumpy on idle, but the 1.4 shouldnt.

deffo shouldnt be poppin on idle tho

Ray

Mine does too, i was told it was the lambda sensor so i changed that and it still does. Ive changed everything and it still splutters and pops.

Well ive used some of the additives on the market, i dont know if they help. Also every so often ill take her for a blast down the motorway to clean em out a bit.

one thing i did notice was the coil pin on the dizzy cap was a bit bluey white, managed to clean most of it off with some emry paper so dunno if that has anything to do with it?

Also, i tend to noticed a few flat spots during acceleration - normally in the bottom end of first and second. 3rd to 5th pull fine :)

I think the exhaust is standard although it may have been replaced at some time. Its not a performance exhaust. (il just check the SH).

Apparently it had a new Cat at the end of 2000 (fitted by kwik-fit - Ouch).

well no mention of a new exhaust so guess its prolly the original. Il prolly pick up a new one soon, maybe a piper or the likes. Anyone got any recommendations for a decent backbox thats quiet and reasonably priced?

Thanks

Dazz