ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slim Plates and the Police

Z4x2 & buying a 182
so seeing as I hadnt been pulled over in 7 years, having been driving cars with nearly twice the power of my clio, I was pulled over within the first 36 hours ownership of my 182...

So now that I want to get the slim numberplate on the front, as I think they really tidy it up, am I gonna get done for this? Are they technically illegal?

Thanks

172 Ph1
I’m going to say no , as it’s a deviation from the standard sized plate we all know and see.
Although it looks really cool in the recess .

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
My understand of the law (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong), It’s not the size of the plate that determines if it’s legal or not. It’s the size and spacing of the letters and numbers. You can therefore have a “cut down” plate and still be legal.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Have a google of the key criteria, but it has to be correct font, correct spacing between the letters and a minimum amount of plate showing around the text with the BSU text at the bottom.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I was pulled for speeding once but as they couldn't get me on that they went round the car trying to find something else and I got a £100 fine I think it was.

If you don't do anything wrong I'd be surprised if they did you for it though.

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
They aren't legal and you can be done for them, but the decision is yours on whether or not you think its worth the risk of £100 fine,
personally i have bigger issue's to sort than the size of my number plates.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
£if its only a £100 fine and no points id happily take the risk as I really think they make a huge difference.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Anyone know the dimensions I want to be getting for it to fit nice and snug without any overhang?

cheers

Z4x2 & buying a 182
cheers

all ordered.

I bought this car as a track day project but now I am getting stupidly excited about tidy number plates and custom Cup182 floor mats....worried I am getting a bit too attached to this car to start pulling it apart!!?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
The law is the characters must be 79mm tall and then have an 11mm border top and bottom - so the smallest it can legally be is 101mm - So you can take 10mm off the standard 111mm plate height and still be legal.

1571129383417.png

Last edited:

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Are square plates still legal on imports?

From run ins with the police while driving around with mates who drive imports, the rules for them seem to be fit whatever you can in the factory location that looks sensible. Obviously if someone tries to convince the police their import Civic Type R ran 300x45 plates factory they're gonna get hassle but something reasonable ish generally tends to fly. No idea on the full legal standpoint.

As far as the Clio slim plate, I've been pulled various times, and not one officer has mentioned it. That's even when they're staring it in the face to run a vehicle reg check! The only time I've ever been questioned about it is when I went to help a mate who had an accident. I parked up at the side of the road (not involved in the accident, I arrived a good twenty minutes later after a phone call) and the traffic police (the angry ones in X5's) pointed at the Clio, asked who's it was, and strongly recommended I fit a proper full size number plate.

Being honest my front plate is on Velcro, with a full size one also on Velcro hidden away in the car somewhere. If any officer did want to issue a fine I'd certainly offer up the instant fix in the hope of getting let off...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
From run ins with the police while driving around with mates who drive imports, the rules for them seem to be fit whatever you can in the factory location that looks sensible. Obviously if someone tries to convince the police their import Civic Type R ran 300x45 plates factory they're gonna get hassle but something reasonable ish generally tends to fly. No idea on the full legal standpoint.

As far as the Clio slim plate, I've been pulled various times, and not one officer has mentioned it. That's even when they're staring it in the face to run a vehicle reg check! The only time I've ever been questioned about it is when I went to help a mate who had an accident. I parked up at the side of the road (not involved in the accident, I arrived a good twenty minutes later after a phone call) and the traffic police (the angry ones in X5's) pointed at the Clio, asked who's it was, and strongly recommended I fit a proper full size number plate.

Being honest my front plate is on Velcro, with a full size one also on Velcro hidden away in the car somewhere. If any officer did want to issue a fine I'd certainly offer up the instant fix in the hope of getting let off...
Typical traffic police

@Sunglasses_Ron

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
Typical traffic police
@Sunglasses_Ron

As angry as they may look round my way, they're generally speaking the nicest out of the lot. They'll actually stand and have a decent conversation with you regardless and as long as you're not mouthy back they're pretty fair. Turns out 99% of traffic police are car guys. Even had one who after wanting a quick chat about my car, used to tell us the local spot him and his mates used to race their 80's/90's hot hatches to 100 and back between two roundabouts.

It's the regular police who seem to get the kick out of throwing the rule book at you, shortly followed by smugly expecting your car to be seized and turned into a new tumble dryer.

Anyways I feel I've deviated enough from the original topic. @Z4MCSL Would I run slim plates, Yes, given that the Police my way seem to be quite soft if you're alright with them. Guess its all down to how they treat fast/modified cars round your way

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Why is everyone getting pulled anyway?

I was never pulled over in my 182?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My son Matthew was stopped the other day and fined £100 for a slim stick on front plate, ha ha but im with Dave on the Taser