ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sloppy Gearstick

172DD Cup
hi, i missed a 3rd to 4th the other day (at high revs, slight grind, nothing out of the ordinary) and since then the gearstick has a bit of play in it when in gear. gear change doesnt feel any different, just the play in the gearstick when in gear.

what part have i likely bolx'd?

edit: are the full on short shifter kits any good at reducing slop?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
There is a small bush in the gearbox end of linkage . Might also be a good idea to get a new dogbone mount too.

172DD Cup
no it's not misaligned.
it has a powerflex dogbone :)

perhaps the title was misleading. it was fine but just after the missed change it developed a bit more movement in it. i can have a look at the bush, perhaps it's moved.

172DD Cup
i've been looking at the kit. i've noticed the ball-&-socket in the current set up has plenty of movement, does yanoos kit sort that out?

172DD Cup
i'm interested in the "stiff shift" (fnarr fnarr)

the current gear stick is already a bit of a reach, shortening it may not be for me. perhaps just making the balljoint itself a bit more solid is the way forward.

172DD Cup
i had a look and couldn't be sure if it was the linkage or something inside the box. linkage itself is connected fine so it's either play in the box or in balljoint on the gearstick, does this video help point to one or the other. this is the sort of play i get when it's in gear

Last edited by a moderator:

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
More than likely it's caused by sloppy ball joint housing. Get off the gaiter and move the gear lever. If the whole ball joint moves (the big black ribbed rubber in the gear lever housing) , it's time to replace it.

is1

Integra Type R DC2
+1 really cannot say enough what a great bit of kit it is, nightmare to get gear stick out past a twincat though ;)

Twincat? So what do these kits cost, what do they comprise of and how does one order them? There is nothing on Yanoo's website re cost or ordering.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Twincat? So what do these kits cost, what do they comprise of and how does one order them? There is nothing on Yanoo's website re cost or ordering.

You shouldn't have the same problem, PH1's have a twin cat design - bit fat to get the stick past. Kits about £50-£70 from memory and just PM him, the kit replaces the Bush's and bits that have play in them in the linkage. You get well written PDF instructions to work from and takes 1-2 hours to fit.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
It's not the easiest job to fit this kit but if you have an average mechanic skill you can do it. The detailed fitting guide helps a lot. The base conversion kit is £50 (including postage), it consists of: alloy ball joint housing, stiffer ball insert, small metal bush (gearbox side).

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
Prices and ordering are not represented on my website because I'm not a trader. My website is only a "developer blog / site" which shows my freetime (automotive and especially Renault related) works / developments / softwares. I can get these kits made in a local workshop on request.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
No, it doesn't. This is a conversion kit for OEM gear stick/linkage, consists of those parts which cause the play in the gear linkage: gear stick ball joint housing, metal bush (in the elbow joint at the gearbox), gear stick ball insert. Sometimes the red, plastic bushes in the gear stick bottom are also worn, I have brass bushes for replace them on request (it's not included in the base kit).

Last edited:
  172DD Cup
ok thanks. i understand that play left-right is probably the ball joint, but what about up-down play when in gear, could that still be the housing or is it likely to be at the gearbox end?

how much is the other kit with the fancy gearstick + knob?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
The worn / sloppy ball joint housing causes the left-right AND up-down play. It sounds weird but you can check it easily: get the gear stick gaiter off and move the gear stick. You can see that the whole ball joint (the black rubber thing in the white plastic housing) moves in all directions: up-down and left-right. It shouldn't move.

The worn bush at the gearbox end causes left-right play when it's in gear (+ it may be caused by worn gear stick bottom bushes and the sloppy ball joint housing, of course).

PM'd.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
hey yahoo... interested in this short shift gear change but i can't seem to find the link to ur site....
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by daddycool
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showt...conversion-kit
says i don't have permission to access it...

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
This sounds great, i like the idea of keeping the standard gear stick but it being lower down.does anyone have any pictures with the kit on?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
This sounds great, i like the idea of keeping the standard gear stick but it being lower down.does anyone have any pictures with the kit on?

You can fit a base conversion kit with a short shift link. In this case the gear stick is not shortened, but the shift throw is decreased by 10%.

197 FF Glacier White
Do you ever clean your car? Get the hoover out! :rasp:

I thought the same thing! That doesn't look quite right to me. The up and down movement is very odd, Yanoo kit should sort that out, I've yet to fit mine but heard nothing but good feedback about how much better it makes the feel of the gear change on these cars.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
You can fit a base conversion kit with a short shift link. In this case the gear stick is not shortened, but the shift throw is decreased by 10%.
I meant i like the idea of the stick being shortened, its to long standard imo
So what exactly does the kit you offer do mate?

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I understand you but I think shorter stick is not as good as a long standard one with shorter shift throw. Of couse, a shorter stick with short shift link gives shorter shift throw but a longer stick is better for everydays IMO.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Ah i see what you mean...
So does your kit reduce the dhift throw, and not the lenght of the stick itself?

172DD Cup
have you got arms like stretch armstrong? the stick is already too far forward, why would you want to move it further away!