ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

slr and night rallies

Hyundai i40
Well I'm going to watch a rally tonight.........so looking forward to it!

Will no doubt be dark by the time its finished!

What's the best setting on slr when its dark

GaryS will be your man, done some night rally stuff iirc.

Two basic approaches though, flash or no flash (very few people shoot without flash, though). Both will give you entirely different effects but each have their merits.

I've shot non-flash night stuff before and it was brutally difficult, panning skills need to be absolutely top notch as it's pushing the limits of what is possible.

Rally bus
Have you got an external flash Sarah? You'll need to be very close to the action if not (eg inside of Brandywell hairpin) and use the pop-up flash. Not using a flash is only any good for light trail type pics at rallies as you generally don't have much else in the way of light source (you'd have floodlights and so on at roundy roundy).

I generally have everything on manual at night, usually ISO200, 1/100th, whatever aperture I can get away with... (a big a f number as the flash allows to give plenty depth of field). Take a torch so you can get your focus spot sorted.

Will you be at the rally in May? Not sure if I'm going yet as I may have to be at another event :S

Hyundai i40
well i FAILED but tbh i couldnt really be bothered taking pics but wanted to try it out, so really shouldnt have bothered

3314319629_a31e9d17a5.jpg

3314316475_8418747cfe.jpg

3315137808_deb72d9aff.jpg

had a little play on PS

3315135112_5848b17915.jpg

Rally bus
Service area pic is good.

It's pretty hard to get decent night pics without a flashgun, pop-up flashes just don't have the power so unless the car is very close you get mainly darkness.

Are you out watching again tomorrow?

Rally bus
its the 1st time ive ever tried night shots tbh

There's many people who've been photographing rallying for years who struggle when it gets dark - it's a whole different technique to daytime pics so don't feel too bad!