ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Small business networking - Server + hosts - HELP

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
My friend lives in Portugal and owns a decent sized car garage.
He has just rung and asked me to spec and quote:
  • 5 x hosts (have to be touchscreen) that will be dotted about the garage for the mechanics/paint dudes etc
  • 1 x server (to host a central database + maybe sharepoint) - they have external drives already for manual backups.
The idea (he says) is to create a domain (windows based) so that each employee has their own logon. They can then use maybe sharepoint to publish PDF's and keep track of document changes etc. Apparently, he says the prices in Portugal are a joke for stuff like this.
I've been out of this game for many moons, so I'm at a loss as to what to suggest. The licencing for 2008 server should be pretty easy for me to sort, so we can omit that from the quote - but it'd be best to at least have the hosts arrive with a Windows 8 licence.

I was thinking maybe these for the hosts:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-C3...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item5d52dd9d80

and maybe this for the server (with a wireless card that I'd have to source):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Powe...9?pt=UK_Computing_Servers&hash=item4d0ca922e3

Can anyone else offer any ideas or brands????

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Also worth thinking about support, if this stuff is going to be in Portugal does this have any implications with regards to warranty or support available, are any particular vendors 'better' in country than others?
It's pretty much HP, Dell or Lenovo (the ex-IBM stuff) isn't it when it comes to x86 servers?

Server and hosts will largely be much of a muchness at this level I'd have thought when it comes to the standard specs.

Or is it worth looking at some hosted stuff like Amazon to handle the server side stuff?