ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smart home devices

Anyone into this? I'm decorating the new pad top to bottom so thinking of trying smart lights, thermostat etc. Not too fussed about smart sockets though.

The nest thermostat and smoke alarm look good however I'll probably go with the hive 2 as that runs on batteries, nest would require a supply running in and I'm not replastering. Anyone looked into the lightwave rf switches etc?

I would like to incorporate 2 outdoor and 1 indoor camera, I like the look of the netgear battery and wireless cameras! That only record on movement

Cayman S Edition 1
We're also thinking of a Nest Thermostat at some point along with camera to monitor the driveway. Will watch this thread to see what others have done:)

Cayman S Edition 1
I think Nest can be plugged in to the mains if you don't have wired access to the boiler (which we don't).

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
I'm currently renovating my house. I am installing:
near on full automation using Vera (auto dimmable lights with scenes etc.)

Distributed audio (Sonos, in ceiling and wall speakers,announcements/alarm/smoke over Sonos. )

distributed HD over cat6 (Sky/media server to all rooms)

Discrete home theatre snug room with in wall speakers.

HD IP cameras and Texecom alarm.

Heatmiser smartstat (3 zones) with partial underfloor heating.

The whole system, will be run from iPads and all integrates together..hopefully!

Wiring and pre planning it has been a major migraine, I plan to put a little write up on here when it's Complete as I think a few people might find it interesting.

Z4
I've got Hive 2, I work for British Gas so fit them regularly!
I prefer it to Nest personally, it's easier to set it to do what you want it to, rather than it learning all the time which would do my head in. Hive 2 was actually aesthetically designed by a designer for Apple, and it shows.

I've got Sonos streaming through the house too, another product I'd highly reccomend.

I'm currently renovating my house. I am installing:
near on full automation using Vera (auto dimmable lights with scenes etc.)

Distributed audio (Sonos, in ceiling and wall speakers,announcements/alarm/smoke over Sonos. )

distributed HD over cat6 (Sky/media server to all rooms)

Discrete home theatre snug room with in wall speakers.

HD IP cameras and Texecom alarm.

Heatmiser smartstat (3 zones) with partial underfloor heating.

The whole system, will be run from iPads and all integrates together..hopefully!

Wiring and pre planning it has been a major migraine, I plan to put a little write up on here when it's Complete as I think a few people might find it interesting.

That's exactly kind of what I want to do but not going to go to that extreme why it's my first property, that can wait for the next one.

Yeah a write up would be good! I'll have a read up on a few of the systems you've mentioned

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
That's exactly kind of what I want to do but not going to go to that extreme why it's my first property, that can wait for the next one.

Yeah a write up would be good! I'll have a read up on a few of the systems you've mentioned

I've not including everything's that's going in, nor how the systems work together, that's the interesting bit.

The Vera systems is highly configurable, but you need to learn the system and for me not being able to do any coding it's a steep learning curve. This with the roomie remote app will tie it all together.

A couple of examples of how the systems will run: heating uses geolocation from your phone. This will activate the hearing when you get within x distance from your home.
Front doorbell will announce a visitor over Sonos, and show porch cctv via TV'S around the house.

Outside lights are dimmed until motion is detected and ramp up. Additional security floods will activate after 11pm.
Prox tags on your keys will disable the alarm systems and turn on the house lights, TV'S and whatever you want. Audio messages can play to tell you what you have missed whilst out of the house. This is configured to the users prox tags. The iPads with roomie app can control all aspects and are room configured, so you can press the watch film icon and the room will dim, sets amps and TV and media player to the correct settings, close curtains and so on.

@Detail Chris I need to get my head around the lighting side of it.

Example, I've got 2 lights in the hall controlled by 3 seperate switches, one of these switches has another switch for the outside lights. Not sure if I have room to fit the relays behind the lightswitch if I go with the vera setup. Does the thermostat you've chosen connect to vera also?

I like the sound of the proxy tags for the alarm.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Light wave stuff is proper s**t.

Vera stuff is fantastic. Any Zwave stuff is.

I used to be project manager for the Honeywell Astrall systems, they were easiest to install with it being nigh on a straight retrofit. It's the integrating it with other zwave products that can start to get complicated

Yeah it seems that way. Lightwaves only one way so I'd have no idea on the state of the system and if anythings been left on/off or if it failed to do the request when away from home...

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Philips hue and livingcolours are awesome. I wouldnt buy the lightbulb versions though, the Iris are beautiful.
I only have the NEST thermostat, have had it since release and it is brilliant now it has fully learned my patterns.
I have 15 Philips Hue - 11 Iris , 2 blooms and 2 Auras around the house. Got a couple near the front door on geofencing. They can all come on automatically on a timer when you are away. Really rate the philips hues , philips always make amazing products.
Only other things I have are IP cameras on front door and back of the house. The front door camera has an IO port that lights up the doorbell when it senses motion. Ive got a logitec remote system that connects to wifi that lets you control everything via your phone or a remote but have given up on it.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
British Gas are releasing more products in the HIVE range later this year. Lighting, sockets, motion sensors and window/door sensors.

They'll all integrate with the HIVE thermostat and you can configure macros, so you can have lights that turn on/off with motion sensors, turn the heating on when the front door is opened etc.

If you are thinking of getting HIVE anyway, it might be worth waiting for the other stuff to be released so you can get it all together.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
FOSCAM IP Cameras are cheap and simple to use and integrate with any Smart phone, even Blackberry.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
FOSCAM IP Cameras are cheap and simple to use and integrate with any Smart phone, even Blackberry.
Good shout. Also have a think about ip cams with an IO port that you can then use with a relay for turning inside lights on when motion has been detected, infact there is loads of uses for them.

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
@Detail Chris I need to get my head around the lighting side of it.

Example, I've got 2 lights in the hall controlled by 3 seperate switches, one of these switches has another switch for the outside lights. Not sure if I have room to fit the relays behind the lightswitch if I go with the vera setup. Does the thermostat you've chosen connect to vera also?

I like the sound of the proxy tags for the alarm.

The modules are being fitted in the ceiling as an example as they require a neutral which UK switches won't have. There is ways around this, re-wire with a Nuetral or some of the modules work without the Nuetral however the better mosfet z-wave modules (qubino) are best for led bulbs which I have.

The heatmiser smartstat has literally just been released and I haven't fitted them yet. There is a heatmiser Vera plugin for the older stats so I'm hoping to use/adapt the plugin for the new stat. Tbh I don't really need it to integrate although it would be nice to have it included on the main page of the roomie iPad app.

With regards to the lightwave stuff, it's ok that's about it. It's a great product line for the general consumer but like you said features like polling and feedback is limited and the dimmers don't give full power for some reason.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Depends on your needs of course but unless surveying narrow rooms eg hallway, then get pan/tilt

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Sorted I'll get one. My broadband is only 3mb so I may wait till I get fibreoptic before installing them.