ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SMD & LED sidelights causing problems

Arctic 182
Being bored of the orange glow of my sidelights I decided to try out some LEDs in place of the originals. All was fine until about 5 miles down the road the dash lights went nuts and all the electrical systems failed. This was fixed by putting the old sidelight bulbs back in at the side of the road - job done, engine starts, but back to candles.

…then got bored of them again and have just tried the 182 out with some 'error free' SMDs, hoping these would correct the apparent fault. But same problem, in fact this time the engine wouldn't start full stop. The SMDs work when the ignition is half turned, but try and start the car and it just splutters.

Anyone experienced anything like this before?

I've just taken the sidelights out for now which looks better than having the originals in, kept those in the glovebox for MOT time though!

Chris

Arctic 182
Think the LEDs came as part of a kit with the reading/map/glovebox/boot LEDs too, then the SMDs were just from eBay

The lights themselves work fine when the key is half turned - but just screw about with the engine starting!

Anyone with any ideas?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
You do realise that SMD is an LED, it's just surface mounted. Also, you do not need to spend exta on 'Error free' bulbs.

Can't answer the question though, i've no idea why it's doing that!

Arctic 182
Didn't realise that, thanks! Didn't pay a lot extra to be honest though

Not a big deal, would just be nice to have some white lights in there

Iceberg 172
is this a common problem with white SMD's? im thinking of getting some LED sidelights as well but i have no idea about them really with fittings and strengths.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
min work fine. Sounds a bit like the OP's is shorting out then the engine in running (maybe due to vibration)?

yeah it sounds like they're shaking loose on vibration possibly.

IIRC LED/SMD side lights don't really have anything securing the bulb in the holder, just makesure they're right in there - the side indicators use the same type of bulb - check the sidebulbs on the side indicators and vice-versa?

Iceberg 172
I agree beasley. Just fitted SMD's and no problems at all. Only time the light differs is starting the engine, it dims a tiny bit to start the car but only for a tiny amount of time. Maybe check theyre tight in the connnectors? Failing that, maybe try canbus LEDs and non canbus LEDs and see whats best