ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoke at high revs

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Hi all,

Looking for some wisdom - my RB182 Cup has started smoking at high revs. It originally started over 6k (with a hot engine) and when I shift up there's a quick puff of white. Assumed this was some water getting in but coolant level hasn't dropped and it didn't happen all the time.
Took it for a blast on Sunday and once it was fully warm opened it up. Once I got over about 5/5.5k rpm a murky cloud started pouring out the back - wasn't white like before and produced quite an 'interesting' smell. Coolant and oil are where they were but I'm worried that this will continue to get worse. There isn't any obvious loss of power.

Any ideas about what it might be? Things I can check/replace?

Cheers,

Damo

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

Looking for some wisdom - my RB182 Cup has started smoking at high revs. It originally started over 6k (with a hot engine) and when I shift up there's a quick puff of white. Assumed this was some water getting in but coolant level hasn't dropped and it didn't happen all the time.
Took it for a blast on Sunday and once it was fully warm opened it up. Once I got over about 5/5.5k rpm a murky cloud started pouring out the back - wasn't white like before and produced quite an 'interesting' smell. Coolant and oil are where they were but I'm worried that this will continue to get worse. There isn't any obvious loss of power.

Any ideas about what it might be? Things I can check/replace?

Cheers,

Damo

Keep an eye on the coolant level & oil level and see if you are losing either over time.

The 182 exhaust system is prone to filling with rain water / condensation which can take a long run to clear it out. This would be my likely first cause.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
Keep an eye on the coolant level & oil level and see if you are losing either over time.

The 182 exhaust system is prone to filling with rain water / condensation which can take a long run to clear it out. This would be my likely first cause.
It seemed weird though, the car had been running hot for a while before I pushed it and it was this weekend just gone - very warm so not sure it's that. Happy to stand corrected tho!

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
What sort of smell are we talking about?
Not one I've really smelt before - didn't smell like oil - the colour wasn't blue like oil would suggest. It smelt nasty, but not a smell I've come across before, can't really be more helpful that that.