ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoke when flooring it

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Hi guys,
I have seen this over the years (have the car since 2006) but thought it's not a big deal so far (still hope it's not!)
Seen this the other night most recently when a Porsche macan pushed me from behind, 2nd gear foot down and a cloud of smoke in his headlights was visible. Couldn't tell the colour of the smoke, it wasn't so much like from a diesel but it was noticeable.
The car is a 182, has 100k, k tec style intake, milltek exhaust plus decat and a custom map.
Engine running ok, it drinks about 1.5L of oil between oil changes every 6k.
I'm using the elf recommended oil right now.
There were some voices that mapped cars use to puff some smoke under acceleration, is that nonsense?
Cheers!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It would seem quite plausible to me for it to be fuel (black smoke) if you hadn't mentioned that it's using oil.

1.5L in 6k miles isn't much in the scheme of things but I thought it was unusual for F4Rs to burn oil, I'll have to defer that one!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
It used not to drink oil between services untill I tried many years ago the motul 300v. After 3-4k the dipstick showed minimum oil. And since then it started to use oil. That was a bit strange.
Anyway, I guess I should have been more careful when I dynoed the car last year, would been able to see the smoke inside the garage

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Probably with the smoke lol
He must have said "no wonder he's keeping up, look at that cloud!"
Over reacting here.. It's not a locomotive ..

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Could be over fuel due to the map, this will then cause a bit of bore wash and increase oil usage.
My 182 is on 180k and has a custom map on it but I use the correct Renault elf oil, change every 6k and it uses about 0.5L between changes. I get some extra fuelling on cold start even over what a standard map does, it's very fuelly then but once warm I get no smoke etc under spirited driving.

I'd suggest best bet is to replicate the smoke in light conditions when you can see it.
Are the exhaust exits excessively black and sooty also or any oily residue in them ?