ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped Timing Belt

RenaultSport cup172 TT309
Has anybody had a cam belt snap (2.0 16v) or know of anyone who has ?
I mean a factory fitted (when new) belt. Not one that been replaced then snapped ?
I've bought a car before that had been stood for quite a white and the belt snapped after a few days of me driving it. (an old 1900 205)
I'm just wondering 'cause my cars been parked up for a few months and will be until march.
If anybody does know of this happening how many miles had it done ?

172 & LCR
If your car is a 53 reg & it's still on original belt it is over due anyway should be done at 4 yrs or 72k.

looks like you need to spend some money on your car at the worst time of year or leave it parked a bit longer.
Hope this helps

If it needs doing CHANGE IT!!!!
Really you should try to do it early......
Honestly its not worth the hassle if it snaps (probable engine damage)!
hope this helps
xpa

A mate of mine had his snap at only a couple of months old. No idea why

Few reasons for it, assuming it wasn't damaged during fitting then usualy its because the fibres used to strengthen the belt are damaged when the belt is made.

Quite common to X-Ray belts that are going to used on endurance cars to ensure they are 'good'.

Cheers
M

Thanks for the comments guys.
I think i'll do the belt and the clutch whilst the motors out, after xmas.
Its only done 49k but may as well do it as well, while its out.

C

Cupster

I did mine beginning of the month. 5yrs old and 32K. Half the mileage but not worth the risk!

Yeah ? I see you have one of the best H-Hatches ever made (Except the 309!) so you must know what you're on about !
Seriously though, you don't need to pull the motor ? I can't remember where i heard that. I think i might of assumed it when i'd asked, out of curiosity, how much the Dealer would charge ? I was in there getting some service bits.
What gear dya need ? Something to imobilise the cam pulleys and some pin or other that locks the crank up ?

Focus ST
Mines a 53 plate 172 cup with 53k miles... on original belt

Will be getting done asap in the new year

ITB'd MK1
Yeah ? I see you have one of the best H-Hatches ever made
2 actually ;) :D

Seriously though, you don't need to pull the motor ? I can't remember where i heard that. I think i might of assumed it when i'd asked, out of curiosity, how much the Dealer would charge ? I was in there getting some service bits.
What gear dya need ? Something to imobilise the cam pulleys and some pin or other that locks the crank up ?

I've heard some main-stealers say it's engine out, but it's really not. We're charging £355.31 until the end of Jan, then £401.32 from Feb 1st for cambelt (inc tensioners) and auxbelt

172 Cup
I bought mine with a suspect timing belt failure,thats a 2003 car with just under 60k on it.

Cause of failure was part of the aux belt getting inside the timing cover.

I had one in 2 weeks ago with just over 60k on the same year with the same problem.