ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped two bolts! Now what?!!

Guys, last night I was taking the subframe supports off so that I could then drop the FARB to polybush it and I’ve had a bolt snap on both sides!

I tried my very best not to snap them but the more I removed, the more likely it was to snap!
I have tried to drill them both out but they’re high tensile (or seem like it) and I’ve also tried extractors...
I tried mulgrips before drilling the one that protrudes, but it wouldn’t budge

These photos were taken before drilling.

FFE83A3C-1FA1-4F90-9C3A-AC849848568A.jpeg

42D9C391-7238-43F5-9BB1-DF0B3A6F84B7.jpeg

Attachments

• 915DB393-353B-4224-BC8A-4A3644BD014E.jpeg
    915DB393-353B-4224-BC8A-4A3644BD014E.jpeg
    725.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 267F964F-C374-4D46-8B39-BB4892BD1CF4.jpeg
    267F964F-C374-4D46-8B39-BB4892BD1CF4.jpeg
    666.5 KB · Views: 188

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
can't you get a magnet and pull the bolt through from inside the car? The bolts arent attached to anything how they are now. There's no threads it's screwed into

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

406 V6, Race Buggy
Put a nut over them, weld straight down the middle with a LOT of power on - the welding heat will likely crack the corrosion holding them in as well.

dan's cast offs.
get a punch and smack them in to the subframe and then just pop some rivnuts in. good drill bit will sort them but rolled bolts always end up being a pain to drill out.

can't you get a magnet and pull the bolt through from inside the car? The bolts arent attached to anything how they are now. There's no threads it's screwed into

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

that's on the subframe not the car and it's a welded nut so ain't going anywhere.

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
get a punch and smack them in to the subframe and then just pop some rivnuts in. good drill bit will sort them but rolled bolts always end up being a pain to drill out.

that's on the subframe not the car and it's a welded nut so ain't going anywhere.

my bad, I read subframe but thought rear axle because of the pics ,in which case the bolts would be lose .

Drill out or weld a nut

I don’t have a welder and I’ve tried drilling... I’ll give it another go though. ??

I don’t believe so, if it were that easy, I’d have just been able to punch them out though, surely?
One is on the subframe, the other is on the body of the car.

Put a nut over them, weld straight down the middle with a LOT of power on - the welding heat will likely crack the corrosion holding them in as well.

This would be perfect, but I don’t have a welder, or access to one.

One is on the car, the other is on the subframe.

One bolt on each side snapped off, leaving me with 3 holes on each side

Just smash the bolt through or drill it out and then open the centre hole slightly and get a bolt leader and pull some new bolts through?

I’ll continue to try drilling them out, but hopefully I’ll be able to smash the one in the subframe into the subframe.

Turning out to be a pain ???‍♂️