ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So how would a 911 SC 3.0 stack up ?

MCS R56
I'd still pick the clio to own, not a big porsche fan.....unless it's a gt3 :)........then maybe.

i managed to kept pace with a porsche cayman the other day and he wasn't holding back, he gained a small gap on the straight's then i had him back in the twisties, keeping in mind this was a five year old car i'm sure a 1*2 could take an older porsche with reduced bhp and no gadgets to keep him on the road.

That might have been my Granny in the Cayman.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
OP doesn't say what condition the porsche is in or how much it cost. Highly likely that a 20 year old engine will not be as powerful as it was when new unless it has had some serious looking after.

Good point, I would say his car is in average condition at best, the body work is ok as it had a respray at some point but the engine defintaely sounds rough, I even remember him moaning about some sort of engine rattle a while back, not sure what came of it, still goes so I assume it's ok.

Interesting answers guys.

220 Trophy
I took my 200 to the MSV Brands Hatch track-day last Thursday and was lapping M3’s Elise’s and Caterhams and….. a 997 GT3!!, the only car I couldn’t catch up with was a 996 GT3 RS but that only gained ½ a lap on me after a 20 minute session.

Now admittedly it was the shorter Indy circuit and I have 888’s & uprated brakes on the 200, but for pub-talk then yes a Clio can quite happily stack up against a 911.

(And it was my 1st track-day!!)

MCS R56
I took my 200 to the MSV Brands Hatch track-day last Thursday and was lapping M3’s Elise’s and Caterhams and….. a 997 GT3!!, the only car I couldn’t catch up with was a 996 GT3 RS but that only gained ½ a lap on me after a 20 minute session.

Now admittedly it was the shorter Indy circuit and I have 888’s & uprated brakes on the 200, but for pub-talk then yes a Clio can quite happily stack up against a 911.

(And it was my 1st track-day!!)

Lolz!

220 Trophy
Yes it was a novice day, I has a couple of instructor sessions in the morning, but the 997 GT3 driver apparently was a regular to the track in bike form and the 996 GT3 RS driver had a Le-mans race-driver ‘friend’ as an instructor.

I’m not going to make out I’m a fantastic driver as I couldn’t have done it without my instruction first, but once I knew the racing line and built up the confidence I was eating other cars for breakfast.

….I put it down to the tyres, but then both the GT3’s were also tricked-up with carbon brakes and the RS was almost race prepared with a Manthey engine and roll-cage etc.

Anyway, it’s only pub-talk.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
997 GT3 and Elises would never keep up with a 182. When the cams kick in at 6500RPM the Clio would fly away from even an M3.

MCS R56
Yes it was a novice day, I has a couple of instructor sessions in the morning, but the 997 GT3 driver apparently was a regular to the track in bike form and the 996 GT3 RS driver had a Le-mans race-driver ‘friend’ as an instructor.

I’m not going to make out I’m a fantastic driver as I couldn’t have done it without my instruction first, but once I knew the racing line and built up the confidence I was eating other cars for breakfast.

….I put it down to the tyres, but then both the GT3’s were also tricked-up with carbon brakes and the RS was almost race prepared with a Manthey engine and roll-cage etc.

Anyway, it’s only pub-talk.

Jail talk!

None
Oh dear...0-60?! Are you kidding?!

"I'm not about to start traffic light racing the guy I'm not 17" The OP.

I didn't actually race the guy 0-60........and as i'm not about to go out and buy a cayman to find it's 0-60 time a quick look on parkers gave me all the info for free!

MCS R56
I didn't actually race the guy 0-60........and as i'm not about to go out and buy a cayman to find it's 0-60 time a quick look on parkers gave me all the info for free!

My point is 0-60 says sod all about a car and has nothing to with being able to keep up with a better car on a given run. Being able to keep up with a Cayman is down to the driving, not the car. Not sure why the Cayman is relevant here other than its a Porsche.

E90
Pmsl at this thread

I know someone with a Gt3 Rs that i could keep up with in a 140 HP Old bmw on the ring.

Its the driver not the car ffs

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah *breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

and someone used the word "twisties* hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaa *breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha oh i need a sit down lol

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Thats a bit uncalled for surely ?

The original question was written in a mature and entirely theoretical way, it's just a topic of conversation, if you've got nothing interesting to add then please dont.

:)

E90
It wasn't aimed at you.

It was indeed a fairly valid question and it would indeed be a close run thing, I was laughing at the other numpties who tagged along to say they had beaten Walter Rohrl in a Gt2 etc etc etc.

And its a public forum, I shall add what i please.

None
the original op did ask for opinions on how his 172 would stack up against a 1983 911 right?.......this is my opinion after having a spirited drive with a cayman, granted had Jenson Button been in the cayman then i'm sure he would have left me for dead but as it wasn't then all i can do if offer my point of view on his question.........

E90
Did they make the Caymen in 83, WOW, I must of been in that coma for years.

By your rational if its parked on the side of the road and you go past it at 70mph, does that make your car 70mph faster?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
PMSL. Indeed. Next week lets not say stupid things.

All im gonna say is torque to weight. I'm out.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Ok well I guess this has run its course, it looks like it would be a fairly close run thing, neither of us are exactly formula 1 drivers so I doubt there would be much in it there. As I say it's entirely theoretical anyway, neither of us fancy loosing their licences for the sake of a street race.

Interesting to see how things have moved on tho, how a 30 year old Porsche is now near as damn it no quicker than a modern french mass produced hatchback.

E90
Ok well I guess this has run its course, it looks like it would be a fairly close run thing, neither of us are exactly formula 1 drivers so I doubt there would be much in it there. As I say it's entirely theoretical anyway, neither of us fancy loosing their licences for the sake of a street race.

Interesting to see how things have moved on tho, how a 30 year old Porsche is now near as damn it no quicker than a modern french mass produced hatchback.

No comparison, compare the equivilant of today the Gt2, a clio would be absolutely no where near, Then put that 911 against the 83 clio/renault 5 equivilant and do the test again.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Weeman said:
The word "torque" doesn't exist on a clio forum, you better post the wiki explanation of what it is.
"what vtec doesn't have". What's my prize?

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
No comparison, compare the equivilant of today the Gt2, a clio would be absolutely no where near, Then put that 911 against the 83 clio/renault 5 equivilant and do the test again.

Was just interested in my car vs his really, thanks for your opinion tho :)

None
Did they make the Caymen in 83, WOW, I must of been in that coma for years.

By your rational if its parked on the side of the road and you go past it at 70mph, does that make your car 70mph faster?

unfortunately i haven't come against a 1983 porsche 911 sc 3.0 yet but i'm sure it's right around the corner so i'll keep you posted on how that one goes.

these are what we call "opinions"