ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So I broke my Spax RSX...

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
OK, hands-up, I was very stupid and I blame nobody but myself.

Long story short, I used to have a GAZ GHA setup with KTec solid top mounts; I sold my old GAZ coilovers and must have sent off the solid top mount spacer with the old shocks to the new owner. In my haste, I lined the new Spax RSX up with the solid top mount, which I now realise I placed right onto the bearing, i.e. top collet right onto the bearing on the top mount, and tightened everything up from the top. Span the car around on my drive after fitting and heard a rather large crunch...

I snapped the top of the shaft clean off on the passenger side and bent the drivers side. They're now off the car and my Cup is sitting on the drive on axel stands. Nightmare situation!

So - I'm *hoping* I can pay to have them rebuilt at Spax, although I'm not holding my breath... I suspect they're sealed units and I may have to buy new ones (any input here would be great?)

Other than that, if I either get new or get the existing ones rebuilt, I need to know exactly how they're meant to be fitted. If anyone has any photos and layout of how the strut is built up with all components into the car with a solid top mount I'd very much appreciate it.

End of very embarrassing story and start of an expensive lesson...

Cheers
Rhys

Many.
I can't picture how you've ruined it, get some pics up!

But, they can rebuild them, I enquired a few years back.

Doubt it'll be cheap for new rods however.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I can't picture how you've ruined it, get some pics up!

But, they can rebuild them, I enquired a few years back.

Doubt it'll be cheap for new rods however.

OK - that's good news on the rebuild. Am waiting to hear back from Spax.

I suspect that it won't be cheap, hence the expensive lesson... just want to get them fixed and on the car properly.

Will get some pics up shortly.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
As promised...

IMG_2253.jpegIMG_6522.jpegIMG_6810.jpeg

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
NorthloopCup - as requested, see rudimentary picture below. The photos above do not show the top collet which holds the spring in. I need to find out whether I'm missing a part in the configuration below. What must have happened is that the top collet (or whatever holds the top of the spring) wasn't fixed into position and didn't have anything to attach into, as a result it was able to slip around. The problem then is when the strut slides, it shears off the top mount.

strut.png