ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So I need to upgrade

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I am getting properly itchy trigger fingers where buying PC components is concerned. Think I need to upgrade now.

List of my kit as follows:

CPU: Q6600 (Bought Feb 2008)
Mobo: Gigabyte P35-DS3L (Same date)
Graphics: GTX275 896mb (August 2009)
RAM: Corsair TwinX 4gb (January 2011 - I struggled with 2Gb for a long time :eek:)
Case: Lian-Li PC7A (Feb 2007)
PSU: Corsair HX 520W (Same)
HDDs: Mix of Samsung, Seagate and Maxtor drives. Total of around 2TB over 4 drives, I think (Various bought dates).

As you can see, all quite old. Thing is, plays even the latest stuff at a fairly decent rate (with fairly decent prettyness).

If I haven't listed it, doesn't need to be replaced (Monitor is a 24" Dell, which I still <3).

Budget of around 800-900 quid. Could go higher, will wait and see. Case may not need to be replaced, wasn't sure if anything new had happened as far as location of PSU or whatever goes. Imagine the PSU won't have enough power to support something like a GTX670 (or whatever). I want/need an SSD, as well as maybe a few new 2TB drives.

So, what do people suggest I get? :)

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Last edited:
Intel i7 950 @ 3.04Ghz
12GB RAM
ASUS RAMPAGE II Mobo
800W corsair power supply
ATI HD RADEON 6870 - This is a gem ;)
Lots of little goodies like blue ray player, card reader.
few 1TB HDD'S
& finally a SSD, possible a 64 or 120GB for your OS :) youll be running like greased lightning!

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Yeah the M4's are good, especially with the latest firmware

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:
GeForce GTX 670 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 500~550 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 670 2x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 700 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
GeForce GTX 670 3x SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 850 Watt power supply unit as minimum..

Don't get a 6870, it's a bit old now:

imageview.php

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Not putting any ATi/AMD filth in my system ;)

Last AMD chip I had was one of the first AMD64 jobbys, and I can't even remember the name of the graphics card. Began with X.

All sounds good. Now to finish off the lark of getting married (on Sunday) and I'll buy the bits in a few weeks.

Good point scone, was over a year ago now i built mine including the 6870, still does the job running about 30-45fps on BF3 Online. Running fans a bit faster for extra cooling as it can get a bit warm!.Gainward (Nvidia) GTX550 Is a good card now, what we are selling to a lot of customers at work, for gaming.

Also Going from a HDD 7200RPM to a SSD was the biggest and probably one of the cheapest for a massive upgrade in booting speed and general thinking times when running programmes off the SSD (Such as ventrillo, office 2010, etc). Real Diamond :eek: (http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=V4DoT_mxCcOT0QH8r-zCCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAg)

55 Clio 182, C2 VTS
I've always found: http://www.aria.co.uk to be good for PC components, delivery service has always been good as has the Q&A service they provide. (In case you wanted to compare some prices etc)

I'm looking to upgrade too at some point this year, mainly CPU, MOBO, RAM and the GFX Card. The case etc I have suits my needs already so dont need to change those, but I am also seriously considering buying an Overclockers system, just because I'm lazy! :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I think I will change the case too. Any suggestions, up to 100 quids. Needs to have good cable management (ability to hide cables) as the current one is atrocious.

55 Clio 182, C2 VTS
Ye I have the case and PSU to be able to do just that, however I'm either far too busy or far too lazy to be faffing about. Besides, if I do that then I'm still going to have a bunch of parts from this old PC laying around to be doing nothing with. So if I just buy one like that then I can sell this one on for about £300 or give it to my brother as he doesnt have a PC at the min so he's having to go to mi Mums to use hers. :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
2ldaqzc.jpg

So tempted to press the button... no way I'd be able to build it this weekend though, not enough time and not enough arms to carry it home with me tomorrow :(

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Just put the order through :eek: Changed a few bits and pieces. Should arrive on Tuesday.

Item Qty Price
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card 1 £266.66
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail 1 £144.99
Samsung 128GB SSD 830 Desktop Series SATA 6Gb/s KIT with Norton Ghost - (MZ-7PC128D/EU) 1 £71.66
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DM001) 1 £71.66
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650M High Performance 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply (CP-9020002-UK) 1 £70.82
Corsair Carbide 400R Midi Tower Case - Black 1 £69.16
Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard 1 £66.66
Samsung Green (MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz 30nm Dual Channel Kit 1 £41.99
Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler (Socket LGA2011/1366/1155/1156/775/ AMD AM3/AM3+/AM2/AM2+/FM1) 1 £22.49
OcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM 1 £13.32
Sub Total: £839.41
FREE SHIPPING (DPD Next Day) Shipping: £0.00
Total Vat: £167.88
Total inc Vat: £1007.29

Seems like a nice balanced system. Not exactly the pinnacle, but sweet enough to get great performance in most games.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
All in and installed last night, barring the old drives from my old system.

Will take a pic tonight of my half arsed cable tidying. Played about 4 seconds of Skyrim on full whack, looks very pretty and ridiculously smooth. Haven't overclocked anything yet.

Also forgot that my W7 Ultimate licence was activated on the other machine, so woke up to W7 complaining about not being genuine :eek: Tried to purchase a key from MS this morning but it appeared to fail miserably (at least that's what MS have said). Reserved a full licence from Pissy World which I need to pick up later on.

One thing I have noticed so far is that the new system is incredibly quiet.