ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So who's passed an MOT with no airbags then?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I know there has been previous threads about the new MOT rules,
but i'd specifically like to know who has passed an MOT with after-market seats and steering wheels?

I've sat in a few 1*2s with nice seats and steering wheels,
the driving position and feel is far better than mine, so it's something i'd like to do at some point.

Seeing as the new MOT rules have been in place since the start of this year,
a few of you must have passed without the seat curtain and steering wheel airbags?

I know warning lights are a fail, but what about no airbags at all when they were fitted as standard?

I passed an MOT with a completely stripped out 182, with obviously no airbags. Had no problems, at that was at a run of the mill tester, not the kind of place used to seeing cars like that.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I'm not sure if the new rules are actually enforced at the moment, there has been delays on actually getting it to an enforceable level so it has been a pass and advise.

As already said news rules haven't been brought in yet, so will pass with the lights on.

If your lights on it should be put as an advisory iirc

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I'm slightly confused, I thought they came in at the start of the year,
so i've still got to wait until the new rules are enforced before fitting seats and a wheel?

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Should pass fine as long as the light comes on then goes out again. even under the new rules i believe

Mk2 Ph2 172
The only warning light that's is failure at the moment is the abs light, and brake warning light

All others are pass and advise !!!

Vosa have not released dates when the new failure items are to come in to action, but they are list in the handbook

Link to mot testing guide... This is what the testers go buy

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/index.htm

Anything with a thick black line next to text is the new failure items or change of wording

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Just buy an RSTuner with airbag module, turn off airbag checks then sell on.

Audi TT 225
Might be worth noting that although my car passed an MOT without the air-bag steering wheel (after-market fitted) I found it almost impossible to find anyone who would insure me with that mod declared so ended up changing it back. Insurance companies are getting more and more picky and seem to be using new regulations such as these as an excuse.

Sunflower Ph1 172
ah great, MOT is due and was wondering about this. I thought the new rules had come in.

My airbag light is on due thanks to that dodgy connection under the passenger seat. So will it definitely still pass if that is the only issue?

clio Ph1 172
Just worth noting that the last update I had if I remember correctly was to say that if a car has had an airbag removed where it originally had one from the factory then it will be a fail, same goes for cats aswell (can't remember if this has already come in tbh, we don't get any with them removed on cars we test), also trying to clamp down on fault warning lamps on dashboards aswell, but this is all still yet to become legislation so may never happen, one annoying one that has come in already is pretty much any split boot/gaiter is now a fail, whereas it used to just be rack n cv gaiters before. I'll see about getting some a photo up of the update on the airbag thing though :)

Mk2 Ph2 172
When the new items become failures cars that have airbags missing but have them as standard will fail

They will only pass if the car was tested as a track car ( it will have to be pretty obvious that the car is mostly used on track)

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
So that's basically the end of aftermarket seats and steering wheel sales then? (except for dedicated track cars)

Does anyone know why they keep putting off bringing in the new rules?

04 Clio 182 12 astra
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...7oCwAg&usg=AFQjCNFaAsvZTaKMJ4DDD1Rtcj_KoNZnJQ

Page 7 about half way down, If a vehicle that failed at
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]first test because the SRS [/FONT][/FONT]malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) was illuminated is re-presented with a MIL that does not illuminate, does the vehicle then pass or fail?
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Pass and advise. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]

We can only test whats fitted at the time of test
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][/FONT][/FONT]

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
I've passed an MOT with no back seats and just the seat belts fitted,
but i've also had an MOTer tell me that I need them in or it'll fail.

I only ever have my back seats in once a year for MOT time,
it's a pita but it only takes 5mins to put them back in.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if you take the seatbelts out aswell, then its fine to remove the back seats!

my airbag light illuminates and goes away even though all the airbag paraphernalia has clearly been removed!
will this still pass??

also i have fixed bucket seats bolted to the floor, they cannot be moved at all, is this going to be an issue!?

CursedTitanium 182FF
Just passed mine with an aftermarket steering wheel (no airbag), 3/4 front plate & an unstamped rear plate & the front two tyre are on the wear indicators.

Clio 172
Cars that have clearly been modified for a purpose wont fail, People have rang VOSA to verify, can't remember the wording but if you've got a modifed car and no airbags because of seats etc you will be fine.

Mine went through fine

It's hardly fair for MOT'ers to be expected to know which car would have come with seat airbags and passenger airbags etc.. as standard
If there's no warning light on then it should be fine

Mine passes with an Omex, Buckets, Harnesses, Sabelt Wheel etc... lol