ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solid Top Mounts - What to buy?

Hi All,

Currently looking into solid top mounts. Is there much difference between brands? Any advantages to some brands etc?

Looking for any buying advice. Any youd recommend etc?

Thanks in advance

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I think the general response you’ll get is to buy the PMS items. Far and away the best quality and design out there at the price.
The ASTs and BCs offer camber/castor adjustment via an eccentric design using an offset bearing.
Not seen the BCs personally but was never that impressed with the design/quality of the AST variants.

The beauty of the PMS ones is they can be and imo should be coupled with the matching strut brace. Bar cutting turrets for weld in items the PMS design with brace makes them the most safe, secure and properly located items available.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
I've sold the AST and currently sell the both the Pure Motorsport and BC Racing ones.

PMS solid top mounts are the best fixed position one on the market. If you are wanting a strut brace its a neat solution. I'm not 100% convinced theres any structural benefit but it all fits nicely.

The BC Racing solid mounts have the camber/ caster adjustment and it all fits well. It has a second bearing integrated in the spring top hat to reduce stiction when the steering is turned. Does the job well and is nice and cheap.

AST ones have similar benefits to the BC Racing. One thing to be wary on is the top nut. We used to have to get them to custom machine a new top nut to stop the nut hitting the anodised part. The original nut was too big. At £400 a set you'd hope they still do that so its certainly a question to ask before ordering with any supplier.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If I was going new (coilovers and top mounts), i'd be going for the BC racing components. Great for adjustment and also look the part being very similar to the bilsteins in performance.
If I was just buying top mounts i'd go KTEC. They use genuine SKF bearings and are of a solid design which do not rust/corrode anything close to that of the PMS. I'm sure functionality wise they're very similar but I can't comment on what bearings the PMS use. If you buy a PMS brace you can us this with the KTEC bearings anyway so you dont lose this.

Excuse my lack of knowledge. But i thought the top mounts were just there as another cushioning element. To stop the top of your suspension hitting the head of the turret?

Are there any real benefit to having it solid rather than the softer rubber compound they have as stock?

I should explain i have a clio track car. currently on completely standard suspension from factory. Looking to move to cup dampers with Grams springs from Kam racing. But been told to add solid top mounts while im at it? Is there a real benefit?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Excuse my lack of knowledge. But i thought the top mounts were just there as another cushioning element. To stop the top of your suspension hitting the head of the turret?

Are there any real benefit to having it solid rather than the softer rubber compound they have as stock?

I should explain i have a clio track car. currently on completely standard suspension from factory. Looking to move to cup dampers with Grams springs from Kam racing. But been told to add solid top mounts while im at it? Is there a real benefit?
Better turn in, more feel through the wheel. Huge improvement imho

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

The OEM Topmounts have rubber in them to provide some “give” and reduce NVH in vehicle. As your suspension loads up in the corners through steering, this same rubber deflects slightly and allows a small amount of geometry change.

Fitting solid topmounts you remove and rubber so remove any “give” in them. Subsequently the steering geometry is kept consistent as the steering loads up.

This results in improved steering feel and a more direct response to steering inputs.

Clio 182
I've seen some Gaz brand top mounts that are fairly affordable.

It looks like they screw together in 2 parts above and below the turrets and therefore no holes need to be drilled in turrets.

Has anyone have an opinion on these or some feedback they could share?

Thanks

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
They work. I prefer the BC Racing ones they can be fitted to your coilovers as they have an extra bearing to reduce steering friction. What coilovers are you running?

Clio 182
I've just got cup dampers and Cooksport springs.
Will probably just put up with soggy top mounts for time being.