ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solid top mounts

PH1 Track Car
So I'm looking at getting the pure motorsport top mount and strut brace package, but I'm concerned that I won't be able to fit them correctly because my suspension turrets have been modified (by Renault I believe?)

here are some photos of what I mean..

null-1996.jpg

null-1708.jpg

could anyone help advise me whether they will fit?

PH1 Track Car
I reckon they will fit fine mate.

What's been modified on those?

They don't look any different to mine tbh.
See how the top bit isn't smooth? I believe Renault used to do that as a fix for top mount knocking.
​Have you got pms top mounts on yours then?

Ph2 172 Track Toy
I think you're right to worry. The top pic looks like there isn't enough metal to drill the holes. With mine which were a snug fit there was only a few mm to spare on drilling the holes.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
The holes in my turrets were fucked. They had worn into ovals and were a lot worse than the OP's.

I will say though that I wouldn't bother getting the strut brace as the holes in the turret need to be in a specific place for it to fit, and you may need to move the mounts around a bit to get the holes in a good place.

PH1 Track Car
The holes in my turrets were f**ked. They had worn into ovals and were a lot worse than the OP's.

I will say though that I wouldn't bother getting the strut brace as the holes in the turret need to be in a specific place for it to fit, and you may need to move the mounts around a bit to get the holes in a good place.
That was my main concern, being able to fit the strut brace as well!

PH1 Track Car
I think you're right to worry. The top pic looks like there isn't enough metal to drill the holes. With mine which were a snug fit there was only a few mm to spare on drilling the holes.
That's my issue. I think they would fit by turning them but I wanted to fit the strut brace

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Can't to just get a different strut brace?

Don't some of them just attach directly to the turret?

I'm not sure what the other options are other than having new turrets welded in?

PH1 Track Car
Can't to just get a different strut brace?

Don't some of them just attach directly to the turret?

I'm not sure what the other options are other than having new turrets welded in?
The ones that bolt to the turrets don't actually do anything but supposedly the pms ones do. I did consider cutting it flush and welding a plate on then making a new hole in it but then it would need painting too and could look a mess!

Ph2 172 Track Toy
Can't you drill different holes or maybe send a pic to pms and they'll change the brace or send it un drilled?

PH1 Track Car
Can't you drill different holes or maybe send a pic to pms and they'll change the brace or send it un drilled?
Exactly what I was thinking. Don't fancy having 3 extra holes doing nothing but if they could send it un drilled that could be an option. Either that or no strut brace!

PH1 Track Car
Thanks for all the replies.

Spoken to PMS this morning, they said it shouldn't be an issue as long as 2 of the bolts are fully in the body of the turret because once the strut brace is tightened to the top mount it will clamp around the metal all of the way around anyway and won't be able to go anywhere.