ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solid topmounts or standard ones.

A45 AMG 406BHP
Not sure which to get

can get the newer standard versions from ren for around 90

or can get pure motorsport for 130

the only thing that bugs me abit is the fact you have to drill the chassis.
Are their any solid topmounts that dont require drilling?

cheers

dont fancy having to drill the shell then in the future going back to standard and having holes present...

SQ5
Use standards they'll be fine. They're already 10 year old bits of rubber! New ones will feel as good as solid ones and still have a little give.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So it's the condition of the rubber rather than the bearing that makes the difference? Are solid mounts used to reduce any flex and nothing to do with the bearing?

SQ5
Well it's everything really but yes the rubber parts are replaced by solid metal to hold the suspension to the top of the strut

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
ah ok. cheers. so pretty much overkill on the roads unless you're intending taking roundabouts at extreme G's and ripping your tyres to pieces!? Quite a difference in comfort too?

DCI100
The way i see it is, solid mounts don't take up any stress, so that stress is put through the car. You don't want that on the road. There made with rubber for a reason bud :)

SQ5
That's correct, which is why solid engine mounts are only a tighter compound of rubber or polyurethane!

172/1.2/E30
Solid top mounts prevent the strut from moving when under stress (cornering, braking etc.). On a road going car, you'll have more noise due to the lack of acoustical damping and solid top mounts need lubrication regularly.

BG 182 FF
Pure Motorsport ones are great, especially with the strut brace.... But they do make the front end a bit noisy. It's fine if the roads are smooth but round my way it's pothole central.

Still a good upgrade though nonetheless