ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some advice on fronting please.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Good day.

I'd like to know some info on fronting if anyone can help.

Basically, a mate of mine changes his cars more times than I change my socks. He was telling me about his insurance because I asked how the hell he is getting such cheap quotes. An example is the modified 106 he's just bought at 19 years old and insuring it for £60 a month.

Now, it turns out that he is insuring the car he has but here is how;

The cars are insured for 3000 miles a year, social use only.

The cars are insured as his granddad's and he is a named driver.

The modifications aren't declared.

As you can see, it's far from legit. My question is, what's he looking at if he has a crash or gets pulled over by the law?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Pulled over - nothing. Crashes - no insurance and an anal raping.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Tbh he'd probably get away with it. The Internet loves to tell you you'll definitely get caught, but of course that's what insurers want you to think.

In the real world I know of 3 or 4 cases where insurers paid out in full to a 'fronter'.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
It's easy to get away with fronting, how are they going to know if you really are the named driver and not the main driver? They aren't going to stalk you. But if the car has 1 modification that isn't declared you won't get a penny from the insurers.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
The car in question is a shed of a 106 GTI with loads of pap modifications including a dustbin exhaust. I'm baffled that there are people on the road that drive about content with void insurance.

Surely someone must have noticed that a 70 year old bloke isn't going to be driving round in a P reg 106 GTI Shed and thought, hang on a minute, something's not right here.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Not really too much they can do about it really, just a loophole in car insurance that's been abused for years.

RS6 C7
Sounds like alot of people i know!

Iv'e never known anyone get done by the police for fronting / not declaring mods but if he crashes we will basically have no insurance..

It was never that much cheaper to front when i passed so i didn't bother, Best to build up your own no claims

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Yes actually, it does.

When I was his age I had a modified Mk2 VTS, cammed etc and I paid the right premium by insuring it correctly with all the modifications declared.

It annoys me when people are so smug that they boast about not having incorrect insurance and then attempt to take the piss out of me because "I'm an idiot for declaring everything"

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
We have been advised to check that obvious modifications have been declared by contacting insurance companies. A lot of companies will state over the phone that cover is invalid and it will be six points and a 200 sheets fine.

So hopefully word will get around other forces and bell ends like this bloke will come unstuck.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Do you know if any of the traffic officers check for fronting or anything like that Dave?

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
The problem with fronting is proving that the named driver is the main driver of the vehicle.

I pulled a young lad over recently driving a chavtastic fiesta. Big 'Halfords special' alloys, whale fin spoiler, induction kit and a silly b****cks exhaust. Car was registered to his mum and she was the policy holder, The lad was a named driver but was blatantly the main driver of the car. Proving it was a different matter though.

The fucker of the whole stop was that co op insurance wouldn't invalidate his insurance because of the mods and just stated that they would write to him regarding them!

Some you win, some you lose.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I learned the hard way years ago so thank god that being with greenlight i have declared all my mods and everything is above board.

I would hate to be a Named driver on a policy as then you will never build up any NCBs

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I still dont see why it upsets you. This goes on everywhere, unless the rules change, people will continue to commit these heinous felonies.

Megane 250
I learned the hard way years ago so thank god that being with greenlight i have declared all my mods and everything is above board.

I would hate to be a Named driver on a policy as then you will never build up any NCBs

Even being a named driver, some companies will still give you some sort of no claims of you stay with them when you want your own insurance.

Buy most don't.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My mam was always a named driver on my dads car when they had to share, then when she came to get her own policy, admiral iirc give her 9 years NCB, that must of been back before they started to f**k people over

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
We have been advised to check that obvious modifications have been declared by contacting insurance companies. A lot of companies will state over the phone that cover is invalid and it will be six points and a 200 sheets fine.

So hopefully word will get around other forces and bell ends like this bloke will come unstuck.

I was going to say I didn't know how much some companies would do, then I saw your post below.

I've also heard that some companies would only confirm to your lot that that the car was on the policy as modified or that it wasnt?

My first car was on my mums name, mainly because I was at uni, so it wasnt possible for me to be the main driver so there was no argument with the insurer.

I did however have one problem copper, he had an actual problem with me and my car personally. He pulled me and gave me a right grilling over the mods, all of which were insured. Then telling me it couldn't be my mums car as he'd seen me driving it every day for the last couple of weeks.

I pointed out I was at uni for months on end and didnt use the car, so I was more than free to be driving it as much as I wanted when I was back.

Bloke tried everything to give me a ticket, every bulb, tyre, checked the horn, everything.

So sometimes it's us 'fronters' that are being stung :p

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
i was a named driver on my dads policy, fronted for years, didn't know it was againt the law at the time, when i crashed they paid out no problems, only thing is the claim went on my dads name.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
All I'll say to the people saying "why do you care" etc

wait until your the one on the receiving end of getting hit by a "fronter or Non declared mods" in reality you've just been hit by an uninsured driver, you maybe lucky and that said person gets away with it but they'll be a time, where some poor bugger has his car written off and is forced to claim through his own insurance and thus be seriously out of pocket all because some snotty chav didn't tell his insurance about his bad boy exhaust..

it could be you, your missus, you parents, your friends

and which point I'm sure you'll be rather unhappy about people "getting away with it"

Leon FR - Clio Sold.
To clarify the Co-op Insurance DONT insure mods and if they catch sight of ANY the claim is repudiated and the policy is voided.

Black 172
Ok, well it all depends on the insurers acceptance criteria.

The easiest way is asking at inception the registered keeper of the vehicle. When you claim the insurer requests the V5, if it in the son/daughters name the policy would not have been acceptable had it known, and therefore the policy is void.

The insurer will therefore have RTA insurer status for third-party claims unless it obtains a declaration of proceedings in which case it becomes A75 insurer.

It would then have to pay some claims and then is entitled to recover the costs of the claims from the policyholder/driver.

So if a 'fronter' hits you theyre not uninsured. But the driver is likely to receive a nice CCJ in the future....