ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some help needed from fred, edde, ben etc...

BMW 330d :)
Today I had to put my 172 cup back into a renault dealer as there was a metallic buzzing noise coming from the engine bay at around 4000rpm.

It only seemed to last for 200 rpm max and it didnt matter if the engine was under any load and what gear/speed it was doing, it would always happen about 4000rpm.

I therefore thought the worst as its a recon renault engine and thought it had something to do with the valve timing as I'd heard thats when the engine steps up in terms of performance.

Got a call back from the dealership however who said that the noise has nothing to do with the engine and its actually the exhaust springs that need replaced??? Do any of the experts know if this sounds reasonable and whether the cost of £117 sounds decent??

Oh and i've been checking the oil regularly and it doesnt seem to be burning any which seems good.

Advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Fraser

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I had the exact same thing.

Turned out to be the fuel rail guard (the slab of alloy sticking out the front of the engine) was loose and was resonating/vibrating at certain revs.

Took it off and binned.

'02 172 Cup
i have a 172 cup thats totally standard and have the same noise at about 4k - metallic buzzing sound. so i shall try and fix it tonite! cheers

Megane
Had a similar thing, only happened about 4K, they said it was the exhaust being loose on the downlink and rattling on the heat shield at in the engine bay.

^^Sounds similar to the diagnosis I got....

I'll be mad paying £117 for something that doesnt fix the problem though...

I'll let you know....

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I had this on mine went in 4 times under warranty to sort it :mad: and eventually said it was the baffles in the exhaust centre section and swopped it and the cheeky b*****ds tried to charge me £364 as the exhaust is a wearing part , car had only done 6000 miles !! Didnt pay it complained to reno uk and they soon sorted it .:D

clio 200 F4Rt
when they say exhaust springs, do they mean the nut, bolt and spring setup that holds the cat to the manifold?

If so, £117 is a complete rip off.

It is a fiddley job, but buy the parts, and do it yourself.

if its not that bit, then ignore me!

Black 182
Today I had to put my 172 cup back into a renault dealer as there was a metallic buzzing noise coming from the engine bay at around 4000rpm.

It only seemed to last for 200 rpm max and it didnt matter if the engine was under any load and what gear/speed it was doing, it would always happen about 4000rpm.

I therefore thought the worst as its a recon renault engine and thought it had something to do with the valve timing as I'd heard thats when the engine steps up in terms of performance.

Got a call back from the dealership however who said that the noise has nothing to do with the engine and its actually the exhaust springs that need replaced??? Do any of the experts know if this sounds reasonable and whether the cost of £117 sounds decent??

Oh and i've been checking the oil regularly and it doesnt seem to be burning any which seems good.

Cheers

Fraser

Sound about right or could be a heat shield loose or sumet like that, but the exhaust spring could certainly make the noise you describe.

Turned out to be the fuel rail guard (the slab of alloy sticking out the front of the engine) was loose and was resonating/vibrating at certain revs.

Took it off and binned.

Do you mean you now don't have a fuel rail guard fitted? Is that not a bit dodgy in the event of a front impact, I thought it was there to stop fuel getting sprayed everywhere.

Fraser - are you sure the noise is coming from the engine bay? or from underneath i.e. the exhaust, in which case it sounds like the 4k rattle I had. Most noticable on the over-run I found. Do you have OE exhaust? I never found out exactly what caused it as the OE back box dropped off fairly soon after it started and I had a cat back system fitted - which cured the problem at least!

Took it off and binned.

Lol, I hope you never have a big front end impact crash in your car!

clio 200 F4Rt
think u will find that in a frontal impact all electrics are cut, which means the fuel will stop pumping, which in turn will stop it from spraying out of the now exposed fuel rail (well apart from the small amount in there).

And if the impact is that hard, no fuel rail protector is gonna help!

but any who.... back on topic!

No the noise is definitely from around the engine bay and its really annoying!! Cant wait to get it back....

I've got a micra 1.2 speed machine at the mo!!

;)

Lots of Alfas
Not sure what you mean by metallic buzzing, sounds like the 4k rattle to me, check the heat shield near/under the manifold is on tight, tighten the bolts that hold it on (b**ch to get to) and bend it out of shape so its as far away from the exhaust as possible, especially the area where the manifold joins the cat.

My car did this when I got it and the above resolved, infact the shield was loose on the bracket and was vibrating when the engine hit 4000revs.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Mine was the fuel rail guard, which the dealer hadn't put back on properly after a service. Worth checking!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Cheers

Fraser

that diagnosis isnt totally unreasonable. My mate caught his exhaust on a speed bump and he had this aweful noise after that. I ended up changing the springs and realligning the exhaust - noise gone. The cost however - 117 quid sounds very expensive

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
i bought the cat 2 manifold fitting kit from k-tec then got my local exhaust place 2 replace it.. cost me £40 all in iirc!!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

Cheers

Fraser

that diagnosis isnt totally unreasonable. My mate caught his exhaust on a speed bump and he had this aweful noise after that. I ended up changing the springs and realligning the exhaust - noise gone. The cost however - 117 quid sounds very expensive
thats wot im thinking!! cnut of a job tho!!

im not running one, its only ever going to be a problem in a HEAVY front impact, enough to push the slam and crossmember back about 10 inches into the fuel rail. so a lamp post really.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
im not running one, its only ever going to be a problem in a HEAVY front impact, enough to push the slam and crossmember back about 10 inches into the fuel rail. so a lamp post really.
considering mark tracks his car quite alot i'd have thought it'd be dangerous.

Nippy white cup
My fuel rail cover did the same thing but for the sake of tightening a few screws I would keep it on.

Chris

clio 200 F4Rt
Like i mentioned, electrics are cut if the impact is hard enough, so its not an issue.

plus if you have hit something that hard, its gonna be one of many worries!

Also, cars with throttle bodies lose the rail gaurd too, does this mean they are unsafe?

As usual, seems people are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Nippy white cup
fair enought m8y...but it raises the questioin of why is it there? I assume it is a safety reason. TB'd cars don't have them but then again they aren't manufactured like that so it isn't an issue. Recently near me a clio was involved in an accident where he hit another car head on and ended up being a ball of flames where they both died in the clio but the other car was just smashed so I guess it can happen whether the electricity is cut off or not.

Chris

Last edited:
  172 cup,s2 rs turbo
there will still be fuel pressure in the rail for a split 2nd after the impact switch has cut the pump. enough to spray over the engine bay if the rail was smashed. I f you have the standard inj/fuel rail why take the alloy cover off? if it come loose tighten it up

clio 182
I'm with Jay 172 on this one. You have to depressurise the fuel rail before dismantling on any fuel-injection engine, usually by taking the pump fuse out and turning over on the starter. The pressure can stay in there for days!

If the electrics are cut off, the injectors won't open and if the engine has already stopped turning, the pressure stays in the rail. Escape of fuel would be in a high pressure mist, perfect for a LETHAL fire. Assuming that the engine will keep turning long enough to depressurise is one BIG IF....

Removal of guard = removal of insurance? :dapprove: OK we're off topic but when guys start suggesting mods like this, somebody's got to step in. C'mon guys, the guard is there for a reason, if a throttle-body set-up means losing it, then YES it's unsafe! Have you seen those low-speed shunts staged by Top Gear etc? Radiator 1, fuel rail (without a goalkeeper) 0, game over.

Lionel Richie
doesn't matter if the electrics are cut or not, there's 3.5bar in that fuel rail, and believe me it sprays f**king everywhere if the pressure is released!

£20 for the parts, £97 for labour, tell them to do one!

The parts were only £14 supposedly... But the woman at the desk said it was an hour and a half's labour which did the damage.... Oh and they did a health check free of charge as well whatever that is!?! lol

However it has solved the buzzing noise at 4k rpm which is good.

Now i need to stop the banging from the engine mounts....

I've had the ktec lower mount fitted and a new gearbox mount but its maybe needing another changed as the engine is still making noises when accelerating hard off the line....

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I'm with Jay 172 on this one. You have to depressurise the fuel rail before dismantling on any fuel-injection engine, usually by taking the pump fuse out and turning over on the starter. The pressure can stay in there for days!

If the electrics are cut off, the injectors won't open and if the engine has already stopped turning, the pressure stays in the rail. Escape of fuel would be in a high pressure mist, perfect for a LETHAL fire. Assuming that the engine will keep turning long enough to depressurise is one BIG IF....

Removal of guard = removal of insurance? :dapprove: OK we're off topic but when guys start suggesting mods like this, somebody's got to step in. C'mon guys, the guard is there for a reason, if a throttle-body set-up means losing it, then YES it's unsafe! Have you seen those low-speed shunts staged by Top Gear etc? Radiator 1, fuel rail (without a goalkeeper) 0, game over.

Very valid point.

However, in the event of a knock I'm sure just about any type of impact could damage the fuel rail - I mean, this guard...it's not like it's a close custom fit that encloses the entire fuel rail and makes it 100% un-reachable - it's just a slab of alloy sticking out the front.

Wouldn't take much impact of any kind to get to the fuel rail, protector or not in my opinion.

I wait to be corrected though...

M

mini-valver

I'm with Mark TBH. Renault may be made to add a guard by law?? I can't see that peice of alloy that bareky covers the rail anyway doing much.....