ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something has broken, but what the hell is it? (One for the techies!)

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Hi

I went under my car to identify a knock I've had for a week or so. Got my dad to turn the steering left and right and heard something metallic drop on the floor, then another piece drop again. These pieces came from the back of the engine somewhere between the steering rack and gearbox area, they also don't match up together so I'm guessing there is more to it. The problem I've got is I don't have a clue what this used to be and where it went and if it's the root cause of the knock.

null_zpsae71932f.jpg

null_zpsea37c414.jpg

null_zps93f57eab.jpg

Probably a pointless thread and a longshot but hey-ho :eek: (flame suit at the ready)

Cheers

182cup & 172 racecar
I was looking at that picture, and thought , I know what that is as I changed one for a mate yesterday.

​Too slow as usual.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Thank you for the replies!

I'm on coilovers so I'm not sure if I retained that top mount when I fitted them (it was a few years back though :s ). I will however take them off and give them a check over.

Plus it fell from the middle although that may not mean anything.

PH2 Flamer
You won't have the top cap if on coilovers. (Bit pictured above)

That's part of a standard shock set up.

Is it not part of the bracket the the driver side driveshaft goes through?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
looks like a top mount bearing case to me, but its hard to tell the size of it from the pic

I should have really put a coin next to them for size, the larger piece is about the size of my small finger nail.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Quite possible, will I still have that bearing, I am on K-tec coilovers and standard top mounts?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
You were right Feates/Fred top mount bearing fubarbed....

Fortunately my bro had a spare set which he kindly donated!
null_zps70724fed.jpg

null_zps5d1bb82d.jpg

Thanks to everyone who replied!!!!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Aye, wonder what k-tec did differently in design for them to munch through bearings :S The aluminium top-hat on the damper had quite deep grazing from the failure too.

Anyway the cars back on the ground now and fixed temporarily with an old bearing, a call to Adam @ Wolverhampton will be done tomorrow to order new ones :)

PH2 Flamer
Same as mine mate.

Think it's probably down to the harsh ride they give. Smashes up the bearings, as the springs/shock absorb next to no road defects.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
those looked dried out and worn to hell! they shouldn't have been fitted like that to start with!!!