ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sometimes we all forget

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
HOW BLOODY GOOD A CAR YOU OWN

Ive just been trawling evo for all the old reviews over the past few years.Ill say sorry first,i have every issue since No1.So not wanting to sound like a sad git i came across the review for the new 182(back in 2004)

I think some of the owners and haters actually forget how different this car was compaired to the 172,it even had a slightly different wheelbase.

This is what i copied and pasted.For me it reminded me of some of the progression over the years

ENJOY:

We've been here before, haven't we? The big horsepower claim, the French hot hatch manufacturer, the high hopes, the marketing bad chat; but Peugeot's bid for hot hatch greatness with the 206 GTI 180 ended in mild disappointment. Any chance things might go the same way with Renault's reply to the beefy Pug, the Clio 182? You might well have already guessed the answer, but let's find out if you're right.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first, though. There isn't going to be a specific Cup version of the feistiest Clio, no stripped-out trackday special. But hold fire with the despair for now, because I reckon you're still going to end up liking this little Renault.

The changes to the 2004 Clio run a lot deeper than the 182 title suggests. The motor is indeed up on power compared with the outgoing model (the new output is 182ps, which is 179bhp, at 6500rpm), but that's not just down to a bit of judicious chipping. Much of the horsepower hike is due to an extensively revised exhaust system. The 172 used a four-into-one manifold whilst the 182 employs a 4-2-1 system that improves gas flow. Further down the system, there's a revised metallic catalyst that improves matters further, and the twin tailpipes now emerge with a bit of a gap between them, mimicking those of the Clio V6.

The 182's chassis is similarly more extensively changed than you'd expect. Its wheelbase is slightly longer than the 172's and it also has a wider track. The wheelbase change has come about because of increased castor angle, which is now the same as the Clio Cup racecar's. The rear anti-roll bar is now stiffer and even the suspension mountings have been strengthened to cope with the additional cornering loads. All of which gives a big hint about this car's focus. Springs and dampers have also been reworked. Spring rates are up 10 per cent, whilst dampers are stiffer in compression, softer in rebound - the thinking behind the softer rebound is undoubtedly to improve traction. This attention to mechanical detail is a revelation in an age when many makers resort to electronics to hold a flaky chassis together.
Now here's the rub. For the Clio 182 you really want, Renault asks you to hand over an extra 200 notes for the 'Cup' chassis option. It's a form of blackmail because if you buy a 182 without it you'll regret it. The option involves a 3mm lower ride height, spring rates up a further 20 per cent at the front and 15 per cent at the rear, and even tricker Michelins.

Michelin rubber has become a key component in the performance of many recent models, although it does have downsides; standing water, for instance, in the case of the M3 CSL and cold weather problems on Porsche's Carrera GT. The new Michelin Exalto 2s on the Clio 182, however, are useable all day, every day, allowing the potential of the chassis to be fully exploited, for longer.

The combination of the Exalto 2 and the optional 'Cup' chassis is an absolute killer. The headline figures don't do it justice. The 179bhp motor, a 0-60mph of 7.1sec and a 139mph maximum aren't shabby, but you'll not conquer the Civic Type-R or Focus RS in a bar-room contest. Meet one of them out on the road and it'll be an entirely different story...

Chassis details aside, one fundamental advantage the Clio has over all credible opposition is that it's significantly lighter. At 1080kg it's 120kg less weighty than the Civic and undercuts the Focus RS by the best part of 200kg.

Balance-wise the chassis is on the ever-so-slightly-nervous side of neutral. Its relatively light weight and the Michelin tyres mean this Clio changes direction better than any front-wheel-drive car I've ever driven. It adopts that super-aggressive, tarmac- rally-car, flat-cornering patter - body roll is virtually non-existent.

The brakes have a feel and ability that teaches every other manufacturer, bar Porsche, a lesson in how to stop a car. I had the pads on fire, literally, and yet the brakes refused to fade.

The speed the 182 can carry into a corner is simply phenomenal for a road car, but the ability to drive at this level comes at a price; any driver error now happens at higher velocities than before. It's not that the Clio wants to bite you, it's just that it doesn't suffer fools and you can't feed it mixed messages - once you're committed to a corner, it's best you stay committed.

Despite that slight caveat, Renault has created a driving tool that's everything we all wanted the Peugeot 206 GTI 180 to be. If you're building a hot hatch, this is the new benchmark. Ford and Vauxhall, don't say you haven't been warned! Renault is the new king of asphalt.

In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.

Ian

Peddled device
Love reading old reviews of the 205Gti. Got some old mags from 1987 and it was a hell of a car back then (best one of the 1980's in Performance Car)....but the 182 is so much better.

Its good looking back...compare a 205Gti to an original Mini Cooper...no contest.

Yeah, yeah.........but the 172 Cup is still the daddy! ;)

Good thread Ian. The other day I re-read the Evo review where the Cup smacked it against the Focus RS, Cooper S and Impreza WRX. It is interesting to read how the RS Clios' were recieved when they came out.

But aside from what the magazines say, I for one bloody love my car! Such good fun and does the day to day runaround bit too. Honestly can't see myself replacing it for another FWD hatch old or new; just don't see the point. Right now I feel like I'll keep it for at least 3 more years, and by then it'll be worth so little I may as well keep it!

Mountune Tractor
The 182 is a great, great car and I really want one.
Is it the best hot hatch ever though? No chance.

BG 182
Some people take things for granted.. This makes me think how lucky I am to have a 172 at my age..

what would be really good, is if EVO tested the cars against their older brothers... imagine a group test with an R5GTT, Williams, Ph1 172, Ph2 172, 182 and R27... now that would make good reading!

could do the same with other marques too... the list is endless!

wouldnt help renault sales when they all get beat by a 15 year old williams with rusty arches though would it?

don't think EVO, or any of its readers would care about renault sales though?

ive just emailed them with my suggestion, i was bored lol :)

106 GTi
We tried to get them do the same with a brace of Pug GTi's a few years back when the 180 came out.

That Magazine review and the group test in EVO vs the 180, ST170 and CTR where one of the reasons I went and tested a 182.

i suggested they ask in car enthusiast clubs to aquire the cars for the test ;)

They did it for the M Cars last month... they can do it for other marques!

my letter for those who are interested...

EVO Magazine,

After reading your M Car test in EVO 110 it got me thinking. I have recently traded my Renault Clio 172 in for a Clio 182 and the differences between the two versions of what in essence should be the same car are vast. Which is the better car is best left for another time as I could write pages about the differences, however what would be interesting is if someone (yourselves) could trace back the roots of Renault's class winning hot hatches and put them up agaist eachother, in a similar way you did to the M cars. A head to head against cars like the 5 GT Turbo, Clio Williams, Phase 1 172, 182 trophy, and the new Clio R27 would make a very interesting read. The same test could be applied to many other marques, and I'm sure there are many enthusiasts out there who would be willing to lend their cars for such a test.

regards
fUbAr

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Good read that. I didn't realise there was a difference in wheelbase!

I'd certainly buy evo if they did that comparison.

Oh and agreed its too easy to forget how good the 182 is.

Really need a blast in it once in a while. Drove it yesterday mainly slow and ok 56hours without sleep didn't help but driving normal is hideous lol.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
September? :eek:
Does your hibernate during the winter months then Rich? :rasp:

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I was j/k. I've read fuel 'goes off' as well, if left over long periods of time :p

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Good find that. I still reckon that i've got the best one of the bunch though. Granted i've not driven a Trophy or a 182 with Cup suspension but the 172 FF didn't amaze me and i still find mine faster than the girlfriends 182.

Im always gonna be biased of course but you are correct....we do forget how good these cars really are.
Seem to be more haters than enthusiastic members on here at times.

GW Stage 2 R26
i was looking at that review the other day funnily enough and the one the month after with the group test against cooper s 206 focus st etc. making me want to keep it now!! a vee has gota be worth it tho!