ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony Vaio Media centre

Octy VRS
It's a great bit of kit but I'm a bit biased. Almost silent running and with the location free box you can access content from a PSP or laptop anywhere in the world. You can upgrade the RAM to 3GB and it runs Vista. Obviously don't buy it from Sonystyle as the prices are high!

See below for quote of the previous model.

AVforums said:
Hi there, I have the Sony VGXXL201. it's the previous model and is the basically the same except only 1 tuner and 1 gb ram.

i can only say i am delighted! it lives under my plasma in the living room and is virtually silent, truly. it does what any other pc does and is very media friendly. The freeview tv works very well, i can pause, rewind, record live tv etc. recordings are scheduled off the epg. I sit on my sofa and surf the net with my wireless keyboard/mouse. Any video / audio format can be played. what can i say? go get one!
dave

182 Trophy
My brother in law has just brought the XL301 media centre and its a nice bit of kit. The media centre interface of vista is really nice. This is the 4th media centre he has brought that actually work all the others when viewing tv kept freezing and had a bad picture.

Before he brought the 301 he purchased a mac mini and he returned it to apple as the tv tuner was apparently terrible.

And as for the mac mini

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/24/closing_the_book_on_apples_mac_mini.html

I was intending to buy one when they put a Core 2 in it.

My brother in law has just brought the XL301 media centre and its a nice bit of kit. The media centre interface of vista is really nice. This is the 4th media centre he has brought that actually work all the others when viewing tv kept freezing and had a bad picture.

Before he brought the 301 he purchased a mac mini and he returned it to apple as the tv tuner was apparently terrible.

And as for the mac mini

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/24/closing_the_book_on_apples_mac_mini.html

I was intending to buy one when they put a Core 2 in it.

Yes the same here, but after reading the article written in appleinsider, we could be waiting for nothing! The only thing that does put me off the Vaio is the price - a lot of dough. But i suppose I could go for the version without the blueray drive?

I was looking at the 302, but the 301, doesn't seem too bad a price.

Last edited: